Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

How to: Fight "The Man" (cable company)

So some of you have seen my other posts regarding Direct TV, well the installer came today to hook it up. I'm going from paying $160 to Time Warner Cable.... to roughly $45 per month to Direct TV (after a year it goes up $10). I'll get MORE channels and HD too With internet, it bumps me up to around $60 a month, but still a substantial savings over the monopoly that Time Warner Cable is.

So the Direct TV guy came, and immediately a problem. He can't access the cable junction box, where all the cables run to. The idea is to open the box, disconnect the cables and plug them into the Direct TV router which runs to the dish. Problem is Time Warner has a special key on the box, which won't allow access. I called them to see if they could send someone out, of course not. They also cited FCC regs and said it would be illegal to tap into THEIR BOX that is mounted on MY HOUSE. Very much a pain in the ass. Here is a picture of said box:

And the special "key" that you need to get in

So, I told them to f00k off, we didn't need their box. Myself and the tech from Direct TV head off to Home Depot, we WILL make this work. I picked up a large electrical box, which we can mount to the wall and which will house the router thing (this item cannot get wet, hence the need for the box)

From there we mounted the box to the house, and started to run the cables

Since we couldn't get inside the OH SO SACRED Cable box, we simply snipped all the wires from the outside and spliced into them. Here you can see that process, we had to add extensions to make it work.

Checking for a fit..before connecting all the other wires

Install complete. Never had to get into the SACRED cable box. I'm sure they wanted to create as much of a hassle as possible, when all we wanted to do was get to the wires. The Tech said there had been plenty of other times where they came and unlocked boxes for him, unfortunately today we just got the idiots on the phone.

So here is to you, Time Warner cable, for your monopoly and outrageous prices

Chalk one up for the little guy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kneedragger77; 11-24-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
No Crying Allowed

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
That is great :

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 02:43 PM

That's hilarious Fight the power bro !
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

yea, the only other alternative would have been to run NEW cables...but why do that when they already existed? Hell no....

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:24 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Wow, "F" Time Warner. I have Cox out here and all I need is a screw driver and one of those Torx bits with the hole in it to open mine..

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:37 PM
FAsT BOYS

very very nice
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 05:07 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

That's an ugly mess of cables if I've ever seen one. Although, if you're using satellite internet now, expect to run into delay issues.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Well, there are 5 cables that have to run into the box from each receiver, plus 2 for the dish and 1 for power......so yea there is a lot.

I've had satellite before, (dish network) and only when weather was really at its worst would there sometimes be interruptions. I'm willing to deal with that to get more channels, HD, and to save over $100 a month..

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:50 AM

I was referring more to latency issues with your connection. For browsing it's fine, gaming and anything requiring fairly close interaction responses not so well.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 AM

KD..How did you splice the wires in ?

On coax, the insertion loss is fairly big. Pretty much anything you do in splicing or manipulating the cable will result in a 6dB loss

Now for digital TV it doesn't matter much, but as Fjorn said, for gaming or any latency/jitter sensitive applications (VoIP, gaming,...) your insertion loss will come into play due to increased BER...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

oh.....sorry guys, misunderstood

these wires are specifically for digital TV.

Internet comes from a different source

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 PM

This wouldn't be a package deal via your phone company would it? Such as what's available here via Qwest
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Call the cable company tell them to come get THEIR shit off YOUR house and EVERYTHING better be just like new or charge them to fix YOUR siding....

Cheers

S.Myers
85 & 88 GSXR 750
02 GSXR 1000

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 AM

haha that's awesome!

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 AM

Thats awesome! I would send that picture to the cable company with my request for them to come remove their sacred box from my house.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 AM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Send them a pic of you peeing on it..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
Send them a pic of you peeing on it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg philpee.jpg (79.3 KB, 5 views)

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM
doomsday machine

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

that's funny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode