Wife bought me tickets to the show for my birthday a few months ago. I've been into VH ever since the 1984 album hit the shelves. I was fully prepared for a Lee Roth-Eddie VH meltdown, but hoping against hope that the show would go on.
Well, the concert was last night. Here's my take on it....
- They still ROCK. They sounded great, and I was incredibly surprised. Really thought they were going to rougher than they were for not playing together in almost 20 years.
- David Lee impressed me. Still has his voice, and can still hit the full range of notes. Only problem was he spent most of the night yelling instead of singing, because the guitar/base were turned up SO LOUD. He also threw down a couple of kick-turns, but he moves more like a 50 year old now. He also forgot lyrics several times, including the end of Panama! Wolfgang (Eddie's son...now the bassist) had to walk over and whisper in DLR's ear that he was singing the wrong song. DLR immediately turned to the crowd, started laughing, and said "it's been 20 fucking years, what do you expect out of me?!". All four of them began laughing about it...was cool to see the band looking HAPPY for a change.
- Eddie is still one of the greatest guitar players on Earth, but he's rusty on the old stuff. It was totally apparent. He also took 'artistic liberty' on every song, overplaying the shit out of them. I like it when they play a bit differently than the album, but Eddie was all over the place. It was like every song was an "Eruption" solo. Got a bit old after awhile.
- Wolfgang filled in for Michael Anthony very well. His vocals sounded great, and he didn't miss a beat with the base. Funny seeing a kid that looks like the old chubby sweatshirt-wearing Jack Osborne on stage with VH.
- Both Eddie and David had buzz cuts and were in great shape. Looks like they spent some time getting ready for this tour.
- As expected, they didn't play ANY Van Hagar songs. Only the old stuff.
Overall, it was great to see them rocking an arena again!
Not to mention....was also great to see the hot chick sitting on the opposite side of the stage that kept whipping her tits out to DLR everytime he'd go near her.