Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
HD DVD Is Finally Dead

Reported from Toshiba:

Toshiba announced today it is pulling out of the HD DVD business, surrendering the high-definition video market to Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray Disc.

Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses

Company Remains Focused on Championing Consumer Access to High Definition Content

TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Tuesday February 19 - Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

“We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop,” said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality.”

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba’s commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:02 AM

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM

HD DVD ship sinking faster than the Titanic...

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

hahahah wtf... DOnt tell me you took time to make that
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 AM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!

You mean a finally a SONY proprietary format is going to actually take off!!!! I swear this is the end of the world.. Thank god I didn't buy the HD-DVD add on to my 360.. wonder if they will have a Blu-Ray drive for it in a couple years..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
hahahah wtf... DOnt tell me you took time to make that
Of course not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!

You mean a finally a SONY proprietary format is going to actually take off!!!! I swear this is the end of the world.. Thank god I didn't buy the HD-DVD add on to my 360.. wonder if they will have a Blu-Ray drive for it in a couple years..
Microsoft Rumored to Release Blu-ray Xbox 360 "as Early as May 2008"

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/...7L7H2R4?page=1

:corn
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

Yesterday from Microsoft

“We do not believe the recent reports about HD DVD will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace. As we’ve long stated, we believe it is games that sell consoles and Xbox 360 continues to have the largest next-gen games library with the most exclusives and best selling games in the industry. We will wait until we hear from Toshiba before announcing any specific plans around the Xbox 360 HD DVD player. HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room along with playback of the DVD movies they already own.”
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 AM
don't read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
Microsoft Rumored to Release Blu-ray Xbox 360 "as Early as May 2008"

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/...7L7H2R4?page=1

:corn

huh wonder if it's an add-on drive or a new entire console.. :corn

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
huh wonder if it's an add-on drive or a new entire console.. :corn
According to that article, it's both... :corn
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

I wonder if they will make it a dual player for all those people who bought hd dvd's...
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM

That's huge for Sony

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
jimmy crack corn

I feel bad for the people who dished out big bucks for the hd players -someone is getting screwed. glad I went with bluray.

David
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
^ I'm glad I stayed with regular DVD until now

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
^ I'm glad I stayed with regular DVD until now
To play it safe I have stayed with Betamax for a veeery long time.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
To play it safe I have stayed with Betamax for a veeery long time.

I don't own anything Hi-Def, could be cause I'm just blind, but I do not see the difference at all.

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:29 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post

I don't own anything Hi-Def, could be cause I'm just blind, but I do not see the difference at all.
I am just the same when it comes to TVs and stuff. I take it easy and get stuff when I need and not just because it is new and the latest shizznitzz.

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
Laughs at all the M$ fanboys. Thank god, I felt sorry for all the people who wasted their time on the HD's. You could have seen it coming from a mile away.

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo5 View Post
Laughs at all the M$ fanboys. Thank god, I felt sorry for all the people who wasted their time on the HD's. You could have seen it coming from a mile away.
has nothing to do with fanboys. People bought hd dvd regardless. Its like comparing xbox 360 vs ps3 when ps3 has been outselling ps3 month to month to this date. Hd dvd just didnt have the massive amount of storage like blu-ray

If the holographic disk came out to the public today, it would wipe out the blu-ray due to holding a tetrabyte of space per disk
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
This is true, but why would people have invested in HD dvd, it was just a giant sink hole. When their is a product that is similarly priced and double the space, makes no sense, to buy the lesser one. COMMON SENSE.

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
don't read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo5 View Post
This is true, but why would people have invested in HD dvd, it was just a giant sink hole. When their is a product that is similarly priced and double the space, makes no sense, to buy the lesser one. COMMON SENSE.
Well considering Sony's track record on their Proprietary stuff it wasn't that bad of a bet..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode