Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

What kind of wood to use for a open trailer deck

I bought a used trailer over the winter. It's a 5x8 with mesh net.

Now that its getting warmer outside. I want to get my trailer together before the first race weekend (7weeks seems like a lot, but its not with my busy schedule. In reality I only have 7 days).

I want to lay plywood on top of the mesh net, because I have a pit-bull restraint system (the quality looks amazing on first impression), and I want to have a few tie down hooks put in so I can trailer more than one bike.

I've talked to a few people and done some research.

Some say to buy 12inchx8ft treated wood (like the one I used for my bike ramp but thinner). Some say get 3/4" plywood that fits the entire trailer thats treated (green treated?), but most plywood only comes in 4x8. Might be able to get 5x8 plywood boards, but I'll have to do some shopping. If I can't, then I would need 2 2.5x8 plywood boards.
Also use self tapping screws to mount the floor boards.

I'm defiantly going with treated floor board because I don't want to replace the plywood every other year. Mother Nature is unpredictable.

I'm looking for other suggestions and recommendation.

Thank You

- Jason #223
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:16 AM
No Crying Allowed

You won't find plywood in 5x4, the most common widths are 4' x 8', 9' & 10'

There is no need to go with treated wood no matter what you use.... it's a common misconseption that treated wood will last longer then non treated for outside exposure. Treated wood is only treated to prevent rot and decay from ground contact or insects.

There are many options you have but no matter what you choose use a good pain or stain to protect the raw wood from moisture issues. Of course a high quality paint would be the best protection next followed by a few coats of a good stain.

My choice would probably be plywood for your situation, without seeing what supports you have to bolt too, it's hard to say though. I have a 16' flatbed trailer and I have 2x6 DF T&G on it and love it... although after about 7 years it is due for a clean up or to be replaced.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode