Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
Anyone In the Air Force or Was?

How hard is it to become a pilot for jets in the air force? Do I finish college before I enlist for officer training or should i just go to the air force academy? Does my bach have to be in the same field to become a pilot, cus i know you have to go to officer school then you can try to become a pilot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
How hard is it to become a pilot for jets in the air force? Do I finish college before I enlist for officer training or should i just go to the air force academy? Does my bach have to be in the same field to become a pilot, cus i know you have to go to officer school then you can try to become a pilot.
It's hard. You also don't automatically get the jet you want to fly. You may only cut being a transport or helo pilot, and never see a jet.

My suggestion? See a recruiter, and start asking the questions. They do have college programs where THEY will pay for you to go to school, and you agree to a 6 year contract. You'll finish college as a civilian, go to OCS, and then into the pilot pipeline.

Your chances of becoming an F-16 or F-22 pilot? About 10%. Not kidding. Only the cream of the crop make it to fast movers, and those guys are usually 20-22 years old, and academy grads. You'd have a much better chance of becoming an A-10 pilot (which is what I'D rather be anyway )

You really seriously considering this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

I talked to them before when i was 20, they said it was a 4% chance. Your gpa has to be 4.3 in the acad. I was hitting 4.0 without studying. Heard its a lil easier to make it in the marines as a pilot then the air force. Yea im seriously considering it, but i dont want to fly anything but a Jet. I know its hard but considering taking that chance.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:01 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

Something else that will help you: private flying lessons while you're deciding. Also, doing MMA training won't help. Too many blows to the head can cause problems.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:40 AM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Something else that will help you: private flying lessons while you're deciding. Also, doing MMA training won't help. Too many blows to the head can cause problems.
I agree about the MMA. You have to pass extensive reflex testing to even be considered...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

Still need a question answered. If i get my bach in Engineering at their academy, how does it work... i mean can I still try to become a pilot when I enlist into their officer school?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
Quote:
Still need a question answered. If i get my bach in Engineering at their academy, how does it work... i mean can I still try to become a pilot when I enlist into their officer school?
I believe so. In the Army to become and Officer all you need is a AD with the end state being a BS. If you want to continue you need a MD.

Doesn't matter what your degrees are in... that part seems ridiculous to me. An Infantry Officer being promoted ahead of peers because he has a Literature MD.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker View Post
I believe so. In the Army to become and Officer all you need is a AD with the end state being a BS. If you want to continue you need a MD.

Doesn't matter what your degrees are in... that part seems ridiculous to me. An Infantry Officer being promoted ahead of peers because he has a Literature MD.

oh ok thats why i was wondering like wtf do i have to major in. I want to major in Electrical Engineering. Im really taking time to think about this, i did in the past and im back in the same boat. im 24 and really want to get my life going.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM

yup you could have a bach in Physical education and if your good enough during the training you still can become a pilot. pretty crazy but it works. Just make sure if you do make it don't act like a high and mighty pos that thinks his shit doesn't stink and that your the only one in the air force so everyone has to bow down to you. my 2cents they'll treat you better if your just down to earth. they meaning enlisted cuz you can't fly without us....LOL
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

hahahaha, yea i dont think im high and mighty.. i just want to fly, something that interests me.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM

You need perfect vision, if you get lasik or whatever you're at the back of the line...at least that's what the Norwegian Airforce recruiter told me...

Well they have good reason for all their requirements, it's just that it kinda hurts when dreams get crushed.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Ask the Chief

i wouldn't be anything but an A-10 pilot....

big guns, low and slow, bombs, close contact with the troops. those guys kick serious ass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 PM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post

big guns, low and slow, bombs, close contact with the troops. those guys kick serious ass.
and we were ALWAYS thankfull to see them haha
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snair View Post
exactly.

ground forces have the utmost respect for helo and A-10 drivers...for me, job satisfaction is the most important aspect of the job. a lot of guys are at home with their families tonight because I did my job RIGHT.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwf View Post
You need perfect vision, if you get lasik or whatever you're at the back of the line...at least that's what the Norwegian Airforce recruiter told me...

Well they have good reason for all their requirements, it's just that it kinda hurts when dreams get crushed.

Yeah im 20/20, never had any probs with any part of my body. Great condition, so far G's dont bother me yet, but never been that high...

Also I dont want to do A-10 sorry lol. To big.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:02 PM
The answer? Simple: 42

Quote:

If I could fly, I'd be an A-10 pilot as well. They're the P-47's of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snair View Post

Being that I'm deathly afraid of flying, I'm a ground pounder.

Quote:
exactly.

ground forces have the utmost respect for helo and A-10 drivers...for me, job satisfaction is the most important aspect of the job. a lot of guys are at home with their families tonight because I did my job RIGHT.

Quote:
Yeah im 20/20, never had any probs with any part of my body. Great condition, so far G's dont bother me yet, but never been that high...

Also I dont want to do A-10 sorry lol. To big.
You're limiting yourself too much. Do you want to fly or not? If yes, then you'd pretty much be good with whatever you do. You can always request reassignment if you qualify.

Not to sound harsh, but this "If I can't do it, I'm not going to" is BS. Like you said a little while ago, you're 24 and you want to get you life going. If you set yourself for too high of a goal, you'll never make it and then you'll be wondering what else to attain for that out of reach. Eventually, you'll either make it, or you're going to be 45 and wondering WTF did I do with my life as you're a bitter person because you constantly fail.

That's not saying to give up on your dreams, but FFS, be reasonable with 'em.

Last edited by fjorn; 03-24-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

regardless of what happens im still getting my bach in Electrical Engineering and Business. I have made up my mind to finsih out college then if im ready, ill go into the air force. If not I have 2 jobs lined up from family friends that make about 100g's a year working on NASA equipment. But money isnt everything to me. I want my life to be a thrill, cus you only get to live once you know. Im not bashing the A-10 by all means, if i get a chance to fly any plane ill be happy but I'd prefer to fly a Jet. I live next to mira mar all my life and always watched them when i was younger, I just have a thing for them..

Last edited by Hellbound; 03-25-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode