Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Question Question to racers...

I am currently racing a 1999 ZX-6R. Am doing well. However it is not handeling like I want it to. I did a track day on my wifes CBR600RR and it handled like champ. It handles better than my race prepped 1999. I have way more confidence in my cbr600rr than my race bike when it comes to racing. Although its only 4 years difference the question is this. Is it the fact that its a honda or that its a kawasaki. Or the 4 years? That makes the difference. So if I go out and buy a 2007 zx-6r or a CBR600rr will they handle simmirley? I have the green light to get another bike. Although I ride a 2004r R1 on the street and like the yamahas. I want the race bike to be green. So will a newer ZX-6r handle better than my 1999. My guess is yes. But i need re assurance to get the green light to get a newer bike. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1853.jpg (259.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1850.jpg (213.3 KB, 4 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:39 PM
No Crying Allowed

I'm not a racer, but I will add my .02 anyway...

Of course a newer bike will handle better.... But to be honest I think the setup is where it's at... I'm sure you could get your current bike setup properly and make it handle just fine too. You would be dumping money into a 9 year old bike though and that's probably not the smartest thing to do.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:13 PM
I dont inhale

have you done the suspension on your zx6????

of coarse a new 600 is going to handle better, but most of it at the track is about the rider no matter how many excuses people make.

Set up is critical , have you set the sag front and rear, is your geometry stock

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Ask the Chief

every brand has different handling characteristics, not just based on year/model. i've ridden enough bikes to know that a ZX usually "feels" like a Kawi, a CBR "feels" like a Honda, etc. I had an 600F2, 600F3 and recently a 600RR. they ALL felt the same.

every rider is different, and won't react to setup/geometry/power the same. when the CBR feels great for one guy, it may feel like absolute crap to someone else. like V said, suspension setup is CRITICAL. night and day difference in regards to handling. that's why it's good to try several different bikes.

hey, you don't marry the FIRST girl you meet, right? gotta test drive lots of them, till you find the one that fits the best. you'll never know the first girl sucks till you have something to compare her to.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 AM

C'mon beavis, add ... straight line power is all you need, ask Ducati...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 AM
No Crying Allowed

^^^

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 PM
I dont inhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
C'mon beavis, add ... straight line power is all you need, ask Ducati...
and the reliability to finish the race helps

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM
The answer? Simple: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post

of coarse a new 600 is going to handle better, but most of it at the track is about the rider no matter how many excuses people make.

Set up is critical , have you set the sag front and rear, is your geometry stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
every brand has different handling characteristics, not just based on year/model. i've ridden enough bikes to know that a ZX usually "feels" like a Kawi, a CBR "feels" like a Honda, etc. I had an 600F2, 600F3 and recently a 600RR. they ALL felt the same.

every rider is different, and won't react to setup/geometry/power the same. when the CBR feels great for one guy, it may feel like absolute crap to someone else. like V said, suspension setup is CRITICAL. night and day difference in regards to handling. that's why it's good to try several different bikes.

hey, you don't marry the FIRST girl you meet, right? gotta test drive lots of them, till you find the one that fits the best. you'll never know the first girl sucks till you have something to compare her to.
Agreed. Look into suspension setups first. If this is your first year, I'd still hold onto and race this bike until next year. Chances are you might go down, and it's cheaper to crash an old bike than it is to build new.

Locally, old 90's vintage FZR 400 and 600's are still being raced.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Agreed. Look into suspension setups first. If this is your first year, I'd still hold onto and race this bike until next year. Chances are you might go down, and it's cheaper to crash an old bike than it is to build new.

Locally, old 90's vintage FZR 400 and 600's are still being raced.

Exactly. Suspension set up was my first though as soon as i saw beavis first post.

Also people tend to put a very stiff set up on their "racing" bikes because they think that's how it should be for racing, but that's far from the truth and they end up with a set up that doesn't even allow the suspension to work at all, which doesn't give any confidence.
So maybe (just maybe) you liked your wifes CBR because it's set up on the "softer" side and that allows you to have confidence on the bike.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
I will try the suspension thing. This weekend at the races I will ask around for som help. A guy I know offered to help but I dont hae the time to go and see him. BUT he is the michelin tire vendor so I know he will be there this weekend. I have no desie to spend the $$$$$ on ohlins internals and/or rear shock for this old bike.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 PM
The answer? Simple: 42

Traxxion dynamics rebuild and a Penske rear shock will do you well at a decent price. IIRC, when I was looking at it for my '03 R1, about $1500 for the whole thing. Could be off, as it's been a couple of years now.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I dont inhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
I will try the suspension thing. This weekend at the races I will ask around for som help. A guy I know offered to help but I dont hae the time to go and see him. BUT he is the michelin tire vendor so I know he will be there this weekend. I have no desie to spend the $$$$$ on ohlins internals and/or rear shock for this old bike.

then just spend 4-6 hundred and send the forks to traxxion dynamics. The forks are way more important then the shock for confidence and handling.

but even if you spent 20k for the best suspension on the planet the bike will feel like a turd untill you set the geometry correctly. If you have a bunch of sag in the back and none up front it will feel like a pig and run wide and want to push the front.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM

modern day chassis is a lot stiffer and the geometry is set up better.

Either way. Set your sag and figure out your geometry and then go from there
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 PM
No Crying Allowed

Better yet, race your wifes bike and set up the kawi for her

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 AM

find a used aftermarket shock and redo the front. you should be out about 1k or less if you play your cards right.

take it to a race/suspension shop, not any type of dealership.

your kawi won't be the lightest or have the most hp but it's still plenty capable. you may need to work a bit harder for those laptimes.

i'm surprised you're racing and not even done any suspension work to your bike. it's the first thing i do on any bike i ride.

AFM #282

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode