Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
shipping guns on airplanes

Whats the rule. I was back in Illinois ans saw a rifle I wanted. And since I am not a citien of Ill I could not purchase the rifle and drive it back home with me. So a friend of mine is going to buy it and bring it back on the plane, if he can. I figure as long as its not loaded and in the checkin it should be alright correct. Let me know.

US Airways will allow passengers to transport firearms in accordance with Federal Law.

Items of shooting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only.
A passenger who presents baggage containing a firearm must declare and demonstrate that the weapon is unloaded.
Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form (available only at the airport) must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.
Checked ammunition may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg per person. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or constructed of wood, fiber, plastic, or metal and provide separation for cartridges. Ammunition may be checked in the same piece of luggage as a firearm. No additional documentation is required.
There is no limit to the number of items contained in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, up to 50 lbs/23 kg, 62 in/157 cm in maximum.
A passenger who presents a firearm to be checked to an international destination must be in possession of all required import documentation for their international destination city and any international transit points. It is the responsibility of the passenger to acquire the required documentation from the applicable government entity prior to travel (usually a consulate or embassy). Firearms will not be accepted for transport if international import requirements have not been met.

Is that al thats to it. Just must be in a hard case with a lock?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beavisr1; 06-20-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:30 PM
jimmy crack corn

I don't know the answer to your original question , but wanted to point out that you can ship the gun from one ffl to another . I think you can get the gun bought in your name if you use a dealer to broker the deal for you. And shipped ups LOL
I would think a local dealer would maybe do it for free -Its a good customer relations practice IMO.
Any way I thought I would offer it up incase you run into a dead end with the interstate air/gun travel thing.

David

Last edited by macattack; 06-20-2009 at 09:29 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 PM
No Crying Allowed

That's the way I would do it as well, having a gun that's not registered to you might be trouble someday.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

If someone buys a gun for you because your not legally allowed to purchase it that's a Federal Offense and referred to as a "Straw Deal." I honestly didn't read the entire post just the first and last sentence. Just looking out for ya. Otherwise I've flown numerous times with a gun. I declared it at the counter in the original hard case with a lock. Then the gun was placed inside my checked luggage with a firearm tag. Ammo must be in original box and not with the gun. I'm not sure why it's illegal for you to buy the gun but if it is that's where the straw deal comes into play. If it's just the shipping part buy it and ship ffl to ffl dealer. Or order it online or from your local dealer.

Last edited by Riley42; 06-21-2009 at 12:34 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Hmmm wonder if they would let Jesse James on board with one of his mini-guns
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
I know I can not speak for the current times, but when I was with the airlines and before 2001 all firearms were checked in as the rules read above. There was never any documentation required to place your name with the gun you are checking in.

When my father died in 2004 I was able to transport a M1 30cal carbine and 50 rounds from Boston to Minnesota when the firearm may have not been registered since 1945.
I think the main point is they just do not want the rifle in your hands when you board the aircraft.

Good luck

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

I can buy a gun. I also have a Colorado Concealed Weapons Permit. But Illinois you have to have a F.O.I.D. card to buy guns. Firearms ID card. I have one because I am from Ill but no need to carry it and I just saw the rifle and it was a good deal. But I decided to get it local here in Denver. It's 20 bucks more but no hassle and I can walk out with it the same day. In Ill you have a one day wait on rifles and shot guns and 3 days on hand guns. In Colorado it only about a 5 minute wait. But I learned alot about transporting guns on an airplane.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Ass Cramp

Better post pics Damnit!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:40 AM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
I can buy a gun. I also have a Colorado Concealed Weapons Permit. But Illinois you have to have a F.O.I.D. card to buy guns. Firearms ID card. I have one because I am from Ill but no need to carry it and I just saw the rifle and it was a good deal. But I decided to get it local here in Denver. It's 20 bucks more but no hassle and I can walk out with it the same day. In Ill you have a one day wait on rifles and shot guns and 3 days on hand guns. In Colorado it only about a 5 minute wait. But I learned alot about transporting guns on an airplane.
AND you are much more likely to need the gun in illinois than in colorado. haha
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Flyby View Post
Better post pics Damnit!!
Its going to be for a daughter in a few years. After I get it I will post a new thread.

Category: Firearm/Gun
Type: Rifle
Action: Single-Shot Bolt
Manufacturer: Crickett (by Keystone)
Caliber/Gauge: .22 LR
Model: Crickett 22
Barrel Finish: Blued or Stainless Steel
Stock or Grips: Molded
Barrel Length: 16.125
Overall Length: 30
Weight: 2.5
Capacity: 1
Sights: Peep Sights
Safety Features: Manual
Drilled & Tapped: Yes
Rate-of-Twist: 1-in-16
Additional Feature 1: Integral Key Lock
http://www.crickett.com/CrickettRifl...kettrifle.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KE221.jpg (10.8 KB, 0 views)

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Ass Cramp

That'll be a fun target rifle for the time being. I like the name " the davey crickett"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
jimmy crack corn

they would probably let you on a plane with that

David
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 PM
FAsT BOYS

beavis those are cool as hell
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM
jimmy crack corn

Yeah it is a cool little rifle , my wife would love to have one for sure because it's just her size and power.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode