Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
06 Busa vs. 06 R1

Ok so in the past their has been alot of controversy about which bike was faster. I always thought "Who gives a shit."

Some people claimed the Busa was so much faster and some people with R1's claimed they could beat Busa's.

Again......who gives a shit.

But because of pure boredom, and because I rode with a friend from work today for the first time......who also happens to own a 2006 Busa, I thought I'd give my experience and impression.

We really had no intentions of racing.....just going out and hitting the twisties and having a good time. But when 2 guys are riding a 2006 R1 and a 2006 Busa.......you can't help but to test em out.

Out of all the times we opened the bikes up........let's just say he never once passed me. And a couple of times I actually gained on him. Both bikes are completely stock (Mechanically)

We decided to switch bikes. This was my first time on a Busa and his first time on an R1. We wen't back and hit the same twisties.

I was surprised to find out that the Busa was more flickable than what you'd think. Ofcourse it doesn't corner like my bike but it wasn't as bad as most people might think.

When he took my R1 on the other hand he said he immediately felt confident on it. He took corners faster on my bike then he did on his own Busa that he's used too.

For me.......the Busa was like riding a 747. I felt more safe on it, lol. The upright seating position and the 5 inch thick padded seat felt nice on the bottom. And the low end grunt was smooth and beautiful.

All in all.........both bikes have their pros and cons. As you all know. But just giving my opinion of the 2 since I had the chance to ride the 06 Busa as well.

Although we did not TOP the bikes out.......the Busa in general is not even close to FASTER than the 06 R1. In our experience anyways. Whether it be rider or bike I don't know.

Just sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 PM
7c Forever

yea get 'em both over 140mph and let me know how that goes, lol.

The R1 is atleast as quick in the midrange 'cause it's sooooo much lighter. But up top when the aero starts to take over, the R1's "styling" design starts tp reeeaaaaally hurt.

For what it's worth tho, I'm 100% with you on how the Busa feels, I also find that contrary to popular belief, it feels very very stable even at fairly intense lean angles. Feel like it could hit a bump in the asphault and it wouldn't really throw it for a loop the way it would with one of the smaller bikes. Just because it's got sooooo much trail I guess, that extra wheelbase really hurts it tho, both in mid corner speed and in the fact that it's really difficult to give it that michelin flick to get it stood up fast coming off.

I do like them tho, not near as bad as most people seem to think they are.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
yea get 'em both over 140mph and let me know how that goes, lol.

The R1 is atleast as quick in the midrange 'cause it's sooooo much lighter. But up top when the aero starts to take over, the R1's "styling" design starts tp reeeaaaaally hurt.

For what it's worth tho, I'm 100% with you on how the Busa feels, I also find that contrary to popular belief, it feels very very stable even at fairly intense lean angles. Feel like it could hit a bump in the asphault and it wouldn't really throw it for a loop the way it would with one of the smaller bikes. Just because it's got sooooo much trail I guess, that extra wheelbase really hurts it tho, both in mid corner speed and in the fact that it's really difficult to give it that michelin flick to get it stood up fast coming off.

I do like them tho, not near as bad as most people seem to think they are.
There was a point in the beggining of the ride when we took an onramp onto highway 53. Real nice loop that we were taking at about 90 or so. And his ass end was wobbly. I asked him if he felt it and he said "oh yeah".

So I thought well maybe it was just the way the pavement was. Like it dryed in a rippley affect. We werent sure. Then he took mine on the same onramp and it didnt do it. That really has me scratching my head. Only thing that makes sense would be the tires. I had on Metzler M3's and he had on Bridgestone BT's not sure exactly what kind. Was a weird shaking in the rear though.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 PM
7c Forever

how's his cush? and chain?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
how's his cush? and chain?
Not sure. Never asked.

I know he doesnt have that many miles on his bike. Less than mine and I still haven't changed my chain and sprockets. Who knows.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 PM
7c Forever

yea tough to say. Busa's are hella hard on driveline tho, big heavy bike plus lots of torque is haaard on the stretchy bits.

might need replacing. might also be a suspension issue.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
yea tough to say. Busa's are hella hard on driveline tho, big heavy bike plus lots of torque is haaard on the stretchy bits.

might need replacing. might also be a suspension issue.
I'll pass the word. Thank's for the advice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
7c Forever

no worries man. Chain tension is one of the most commonly screwed up things in bike maintenance. Should be basicly as loose as you can get away with without ratcheting, most guys overtighten it and then it stretches when the suspension squats and you get that ratchet ratchet ratchet action. Not to mention it puts a huge horizontal load on the output shaft in the gearbox. kiiiiillls bearings.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
At this time I still owned my 04R1.....

I have never ridden a Busa, but have ridden an 2008 ZX14. Oodles of power, at the top end grunt would have given my R1 a run for its money. The ZX14 getting up to speed was effortless.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode