Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Renault F1 Team got off easy

Damn, just watched the news. Just trying remember what was said:

WTF!? Renault F1 team get a 2 year suspended sentence (read: slap on the wrist).

The ex-team boss, life time ban.

The ex-technical director, 5 year ban.

Piquet Jr, no ruling, has impunity. But his career is basically screwed now. No team well big team, will want a whistle blower in their ranks.

I know the sport of F1 can't afford to lose more teams through finance, but shit where's the parity. Their driver deliberately crashes putting other drivers, officials and Joe Public at risk and they get an overall slap on the wrist. Yet McLaren get hit with a whopping 100 million dollar fine for spying on Ferrari.

Now I really do see the FIA as a bunch of political puppets with no balls.

okay I am cleansed now, handing over to my forum brothers and sisters for comment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Racer View Post
Damn, just watched the news. Just trying remember what was said:

WTF!? Renault F1 team get a 2 year suspended sentence (read: slap on the wrist).

The ex-team boss, life time ban.

The ex-technical director, 5 year ban.

Piquet Jr, no ruling, has impunity. But his career is basically screwed now. No team well big team, will want a whistle blower in their ranks.

I know the sport of F1 can't afford to lose more teams through finance, but shit where's the parity. Their driver deliberately crashes putting other drivers, officials and Joe Public at risk and they get an overall slap on the wrist. Yet McLaren get hit with a whopping 100 million dollar fine for spying on Ferrari.

Now I really do see the FIA as a bunch of political puppets with no balls.

okay I am cleansed now, handing over to my forum brothers and sisters for comment
I am a little pissed too, however I think the reasoning was:
-Briatore, Symonds, and Piquet were really the only ones who knew about the plan.
-Renaut as a team didn't know anything about it
-Renault quickly canned the two people who planned it once they realized it was true

The Mclaren incident was a bit different in that much of the team knew about it, and they tried to cover it up. Renault came out and said they wouldn't dispute the charges.

Still, the team should have got some sort of penalty. I don't think a ban, but maybe revoke their 2008 championship money. Trying to remove the win from the record book would be impossible as there is no way of knowing who would have won. It also could change the outcome of the 2008 championship, so it's way too messy to wade into.

Also, They were worried though that Renault would just pack it in and quit F1, so they got a light sentence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
All very valid points and the good point about Renault being up front about (once they new). And the thing is the decision has been made no matter how much chest beating and media coverage bashing the outcome, we just have live with it. I definitely don't want Renault to go. I don't watch F1 all the time, but I don't want to see it go down the toilet either.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM
7c Forever

I am pissed about the lack of parity too. With the McLaren thing just last year it's a major affront to not give renault anything I think. And the whole "well they might have just left the series." is definitely political pandering.

That said, I haven't sat down and watched an F1 race in several years, so my opinion is definitely not as important as someone who actually watches rather than just catching a 10 minute recap a couple times a season.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode