Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

wow

i guess its time to lock and load haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:24 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

The article doesn't get into specifics. Is the APF contracted by the Feds or city to patrol? I heard mention that the city contracts with the county.

More info?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Gang Green

so if you see one of them behind you with the lights on, just continue driving along and ignore them?
Doesn't really sound like they are occupying the town, all the news says is they have some cars parked in the city.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

thats all i heard but when it was said they were patrolling the town i thought that could lead to problems. mercedes suv for montana?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Little off topic but.......just seeing all the fancy new police vehicles is enough to annoy the shit out of me. Here in WI......half of our police cars are brand new Dodge Chargers. I don't understand how this is a NEED? I didn't know cops had to look cool when pulling people over.

Especially here in NorthWest WI where a highspeed chase is about as common as a terrorist attack. And even when there is a highspeed chase........they dont allow the officers here to chase over a certain speed anyways. Like 100 mph I think. It's not like LA!

I just don't get it. They should be driving Ford Focuses instead.

Like these guys in the above post......driving Mercedes SUV's for patrol vehicles. WHY!!??

Name 1 good reeason why they need a Mercedes?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Little off topic but.......just seeing all the fancy new police vehicles is enough to annoy the shit out of me. Here in WI......half of our police cars are brand new Dodge Chargers. I don't understand how this is a NEED? I didn't know cops had to look cool when pulling people over.

Especially here in NorthWest WI where a highspeed chase is about as common as a terrorist attack. And even when there is a highspeed chase........they dont allow the officers here to chase over a certain speed anyways. Like 100 mph I think. It's not like LA!
I don't think it's all about looking cool (at least not totally). The major automakers all have fleet sales that go to police, taxis, and rental car agencies.

I assume Chrysler offered a cheap package, with the charger being their police vehicle. Ford has the crown victoria, but the plant that makes it is due to close this year, so I dunno if they are still taking new contracts. GM has the impala, but it's not rear wheel drive, and has a small motor compared to the ford and chrysler.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
I don't think it's all about looking cool (at least not totally). The major automakers all have fleet sales that go to police, taxis, and rental car agencies.

I assume Chrysler offered a cheap package, with the charger being their police vehicle. Ford has the crown victoria, but the plant that makes it is due to close this year, so I dunno if they are still taking new contracts. GM has the impala, but it's not rear wheel drive, and has a small motor compared to the ford and chrysler.
I understand that.

But even buying 10 chargers on a (Package Deal) is going to be more expensive then if the city/state were to just buy 10 focuses at full price. Plus the money they would save in gas. It all adds up in the end.

I agree they didn't just buy the chargers cause they thought they were cool. But you can bet it played a big roll. It's pathetic the way not only the Federal Government, but each and every state and city blows money on crap that really isn't necessary. BAH! lol
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM
7c Forever

ya it's true. Thing is tho that if the cop spends all day in the car, I think he's entitled to be in something with atleast a little elbow room. I know that was the reason for the crown vics rather than the speed. Sucks to stake out someplace all day in a subcompact where you can't scratch your ass without getting out. Especially when you're well over 6' and 200# like most of them are.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
ya it's true. Thing is tho that if the cop spends all day in the car, I think he's entitled to be in something with atleast a little elbow room. I know that was the reason for the crown vics rather than the speed. Sucks to stake out someplace all day in a subcompact where you can't scratch your ass without getting out. Especially when you're well over 6' and 200# like most of them are.
Hey now.....I am 6'5", 180 and I have no problem scratching my ass in my little Grand Am. Hell.......I even boned a chick in there.

On a serious note.......you have a point with the whole "ROOM" issue. Especially now days with all the computers and other shit they have mounted on the dash.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Don't forget that not only is the officer in the vehicle, but there also has to be room to detain and transport prisoners as well. Even if you aren't arrested, there's been times I've found myself sitting in the back of a squad while he ran my plates, license, etc.

Although, I do agree with you that they don't need these high HP machines. Here in MN, many of the state patrol's vehicles are now either Impala's or Crown Vic's.

There is a lot of waste I agree. But, officer vehicles I don't have an issue with so long as it's not like when they spent tons of money years ago and built squad cars out of Mustangs (early 90's here in MN). Of the 25 or so they had, they were all trashed within the first year or two. I towed the last active one to their garage after an officer burned up the transmission responding to an officer down call.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Don't forget that not only is the officer in the vehicle, but there also has to be room to detain and transport prisoners as well. Even if you aren't arrested, there's been times I've found myself sitting in the back of a squad while he ran my plates, license, etc.

Although, I do agree with you that they don't need these high HP machines. Here in MN, many of the state patrol's vehicles are now either Impala's or Crown Vic's.

There is a lot of waste I agree. But, officer vehicles I don't have an issue with so long as it's not like when they spent tons of money years ago and built squad cars out of Mustangs (early 90's here in MN). Of the 25 or so they had, they were all trashed within the first year or two. I towed the last active one to their garage after an officer burned up the transmission responding to an officer down call.

I read an article in the star trib (news paper) a couple months ago about the mustangs and now couple vetts that the MN state patrol has, and they found out that most if not all of the vehicles were confiscated from drug dealers, muti DWI offenders ETC... They had the Vett at the state fair and it was fully marked.

IMO, I think they should look as bad ass as they want to if they continue this route. They could have a Bugatti Veyron for all I care as long as they are thinking smart.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Flyby View Post
I read an article in the star trib (news paper) a couple months ago about the mustangs and now couple vetts that the MN state patrol has, and they found out that most if not all of the vehicles were confiscated from drug dealers, muti DWI offenders ETC... They had the Vett at the state fair and it was fully marked.

IMO, I think they should look as bad ass as they want to if they continue this route. They could have a Bugatti Veyron for all I care as long as they are thinking smart.
The Mustangs I'm referring to weren't confiscations. They were purchased new from Ford. I have no issues with confiscations so long as they're legally done.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
We have about 10 Chargers in our dept bought specifically for our traffic units. They were purchased from the fleet program, i.e. no fancy extras. But they do have a few mods such as suspension upgrades that are standard on most L.E. vehicles. Ford Focuses (Foci?) just wouldnt last with the day in day out hard use these cars take. Some of the guys like the Chargers, alot don't and would prefer crown vics. But thats what the brass picked. But they do blend in better than crown vics for the purpose of traffic control, all of ours are slick tops with hidden lights. Now why the chief and dep chief drive them too? Thats another story, lol..

To further digress, heres a new Company trying to get off the ground making purpose built police vehicles: Police Car for Police | Carbon Motors Corporation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode