Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Damn, the airbags deployed in this tiny accident?

Ferrari F430 <= Wrecked Exotics website

It looks like hardly any damage to the car but both airbags deployed...damn..!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
7c Forever

doesn't take much to set 'em off. Frankly I wish they'd do away with the things, we all know to wear out seatbelts now and I"d as soon not have the bloody mangled nose from getting punched in the face.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
doesn't take much to set 'em off. Frankly I wish they'd do away with the things, we all know to wear out seatbelts now and I"d as soon not have the bloody mangled nose from getting punched in the face.

lol I agree.

In my experience though they haven't been easy to set off. I've hit 2 deer in 2 different cars. One at 60 mph and the other at 65mph. Airbags never went off. And I had MUCH more front end damage than that Ferrari.

But the airbag sensors are located in different places on different vehicles Im sure. When I hit the deer......All the damage was the hood and one of the front fenders. And a SMALL part of the grill. Im sure the sensors are located down lower where if hit in that general area at a high enough speed.....the impact is going to be greater as the car won't BUCKLE or CRUNCH of you hit something.

I dunno. That's what I think anyways.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
7c Forever

got T-boned on my side onetime, as a passenger in a friends Taurus, got hit good, my door buckled a fair bit, aswell as the front fender and the A pillar. The bloody car spun over 90*, came to a rest, then punched me in the face after everything had come to rest. :eyeroll

but ya, they're in different locations. I saw a buddy in a blazer set them off on a steep hill descent onetime too, I guess the accelerometer measured the angle as meaning that it was being involved in a wreck and deployed the airbags as he's halfway down the bloody hill. Fortunatly he was a decent driver and the engine braking was doing most of the braking so when he lost his concentration (and sight) he didn't wreck or roll but with a less talented driver at the wheel that could have CAUSED a rollover.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Gang Green

He probably hit the undercarriage on something, cause I don't know any any airbag sensors that work by measuring the angle of the vehicle. All of them work by measuring acceleration/deceleration.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
7c Forever

yea could be. I've never had the sensors apart so I can't say really. I do know it went off in his face tho, decidedly uncool.

at a 60degree incline tho an accelerometer would be measuring .87g in addition to any braking force. God only knows what the thing is set to tho.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I think the onus should be on the driver to be able to turn all air bags off an on indivudually like some cars have with passenger side controls. Obviously you would need a tamper proof monitor to let the the insurance companies know you freely turned it off and at what time/date.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:28 AM
7c Forever

indeed.

The thing is that they were originally mandated because people weren't wearing their seatbelts and it's to contain the occupants in the car. But I think that seat-belt use is much more widespread and really this is an example of "daddy knows best." mentality. It doesn't sit well with me. As you say Warp, an option to disable them with the onus on the driver would be best I think.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Gang Green

In Canada, seatbelt use is extremely high, somewhere over 92%. In the US, it's more around 75%, so there is still a lot of improving to go.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 AM
7c Forever

ya I think it's safe to say that the remaining 25% are conciously avoiding it tho.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:52 PM
250 cc pilota.

I actually activated the air bag manually...
I was way pissed over some stupid domestic argument and went out in the car to go for a spin to calm donw. Swearing and yelling I ounched the wheel and it blew up in my face..
The plastic that ripped scarred my left arm but other than that I was unhurt.
The worst was all the smoke that it deployed in the car - I had to stop and get out for some air.

Yes, I felt like a complete ass coming back home after five minutes telling my missus I ahd wrecked the air bag in the car. :

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 PM
7c Forever

LOL, that sucks G. I bet the missus was all superior about it too.

Good on ya for going for a spin tho. I try to do that too, better to just get out of the house when you're wound up like that.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
LOL, that sucks G. I bet the missus was all superior about it too.

Good on ya for going for a spin tho. I try to do that too, better to just get out of the house when you're wound up like that.

Yeah, hitting the steering wheel and deploying the airbag was definitely the less expensive route

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:18 PM
7c Forever

decidedly.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Just by coincidence I was on the NHSTA website looking for any Hypermotard recall info and site said that seat belt use is up in the US to 84%. People are slowly learning it would seem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode