Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Hole in the oil filter!

So I was on my way to the gas station this morning when all of the sudden I noticed my oil pressure completely drop. A split second later my car started knocking very loudly. I slammed on the brakes and pulled to the side of the road to shut the car off. before I could shut the car off, it just quit/seized up.

I was in complete aaawwww! Thinking that the motor was going to be completely shot.

So I called a tow truck to come pick up my car and had it hauled to a nearby auto station.

I was preparing for the worst, but I get a call an hour later and the mechanic told me that I had a HOLE in my OIL FILTER. He said he changed the oil and put on a new filter and the car is fine.

Cost: 35 dollars for oil change and filter.

Tow: 75 dollars

I have never heard of that happening and the mechanic himself said he has never seen that happen either.

Anyone on here have this happen to them or know of anyone it's happened to? Other than me now?

I feel that I got very lucky!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
huh.. wonder if some rock did a MacGyver move on ya and poked a hole in it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
huh.. wonder if some rock did a MacGyver move on ya and poked a hole in it.
That's what the mechanic said probably happened. That's the only explanation I can come up with as well.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 PM
7c Forever

yea I'm voting that way aswell, I've never seen an oil filter just mysteriously get a hole.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Some one hates you. Nock up some one and not own up to is????????? Maybe put it in some girls butt and she said not to hmmmmmmm? Maybe you didn't spoon with Vale after your last encounter???? Hmmmmmmm???

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM
FAsT BOYS

damn... sounds like you got very lucky though
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

so im a little confused matt, the engine siezed itself, but after putting a new filter on and re-filling the oil it was ok?

i would think that if the engine locked up something would be permanently damaged?

K7 GSXR 750 Track, 08 CBR 1KRR Street, 00 YZ250 Dirt
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggington View Post
so im a little confused matt, the engine siezed itself, but after putting a new filter on and re-filling the oil it was ok?

i would think that if the engine locked up something would be permanently damaged?
You would think, yup.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You would think, yup.
well shit, glad it didnt and its all good.

K7 GSXR 750 Track, 08 CBR 1KRR Street, 00 YZ250 Dirt
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggington View Post
well shit, glad it didnt and its all good.

Thank's.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Squid Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So I was on my way to the gas station this morning when all of the sudden I noticed my oil pressure completely drop. A split second later my car started knocking very loudly. I slammed on the brakes and pulled to the side of the road to shut the car off. before I could shut the car off, it just quit/seized up.

I was in complete aaawwww! Thinking that the motor was going to be completely shot.

So I called a tow truck to come pick up my car and had it hauled to a nearby auto station.

I was preparing for the worst, but I get a call an hour later and the mechanic told me that I had a HOLE in my OIL FILTER. He said he changed the oil and put on a new filter and the car is fine.

Cost: 35 dollars for oil change and filter.

Tow: 75 dollars

I have never heard of that happening and the mechanic himself said he has never seen that happen either.

Anyone on here have this happen to them or know of anyone it's happened to? Other than me now?

I feel that I got very lucky!
I have had a hole in an oil filter. It was on a truck during extensive off-road use. The oil pressure went to crap during a rather exciting off-road adventure through some unholy terrain. I can understand that. I suppose it is possible to throw something up off of the roadway and have the same issue, but I doubt the engine could seize up and then be "OK". If an engine seizes, the bearings have to lose lubrication for enough time for the metal in the race and bearing to overheat and actually begin to weld together. Even if the engine seized and the mechanic was able to free it, an oil change is not going to fix it. A lower rebuild is in order.... Are you sure the engine does not have a low oil pressure safety that killed the ignition before it seized up?

07 GSXR 1000
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1775 View Post
I have had a hole in an oil filter. It was on a truck during extensive off-road use. The oil pressure went to crap during a rather exciting off-road adventure through some unholy terrain. I can understand that. I suppose it is possible to throw something up off of the roadway and have the same issue, but I doubt the engine could seize up and then be "OK". If an engine seizes, the bearings have to lose lubrication for enough time for the metal in the race and bearing to overheat and actually begin to weld together. Even if the engine seized and the mechanic was able to free it, an oil change is not going to fix it. A lower rebuild is in order.... Are you sure the engine does not have a low oil pressure safety that killed the ignition before it seized up?
Possibly. Not sure.

But you would think if it did, it would shut the car off BEFORE it started making those really "unhealthy" noises.

But I wouldn't know, I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode