Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Mtv

This is going to be a little rant about MTV MTV2 and VH1.

I'm now 35 and can remember when MTV first aired and was so pissed that we didn't have cable to watch. But watched it all the time when I went to friends houses. All videos all the time and no commercials because MTV was a pay channel like HBO etc at that time.(Anyone here remember that?)

Then because subscription was low and they introduced commercials. At 1st just a few then all the time.

Then they came up with shows like Remote Control and that was cool because it was about music. Anyone remember Headbangers Ball?

Then Beavis and Butthead (obviously I loved that show) but it had Music Videos in it.Also had a top 10 most requested videos everyday count down that later became TRL. Then TRL stopped playing all of the video and only played part of it and a TOOL like Carson Daly MC'd the show and its now gone.

They came up with MTV2 to only play videos and that was cool because it would play everything and only videos no commercials .

Now if you watch either of them and they don't play videos until 1am. Click on either channel and YOU won't see videos. Now they both are playing movies that absoultley have nothing to do with music. For shit sakes In To The Blue is on right now on mtv and Jackass is on MTV2.

Now about VH1. That channel was created to play more contemporary videos to an (older) video audience. Now they don't even play videos. Only VH1 Classic plays videos. And that is also not as much as it was.

In summary all 3 music channels hardly plays videos and only has shows and movies that rarely has anything to do with music at all. The only way to see videos is on YouTube.

How the hell do they have Music Video awards? Who see's and can vote on videos?

I am sure I am missing a lot of the detail on the demise on the channels but please feel free to post up your thoughts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

i refuse to watch mtv or vh1, solely based on the lack of quality shows. in my opinion, they have contributed to the dumbing down of our youth and the culture of lazy, stupid youth we have now.

i wont even let my girlfriend watch mtv in my house

i get my music videos online, from the bands website or myspace or what ever, and only of songs i choose to watch.

of course, "reality television" plays a big part of my opinion. i dont watch any "reality tv" because the formula for every show is the same. its all about the drama between the people on the show, and god knows i have enough drama in real life with real people and situations i dont need to see it on tv when i get home.

obviously thats just my opinion...

K7 GSXR 750 Track, 08 CBR 1KRR Street, 00 YZ250 Dirt
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
7c Forever

I'm with ya on the idioticness of reality TV, and unfortunatly I see it permeating our whole culture at a ridiculous rate. 10 years ago there was no such thing as "reality TV" and now it's everywhere and most major sports are moving in the direction of more interpersonal drama. Seriously, having a TV network solely for the purpose of reporting on the personal drama of NHL players would have been laughed out of the board room 10 years ago, and now it's a reality.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode