Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Question Health Insurance

Any here have their own health insurance and not through their work. My wifes is getting more and more expensive and the deductibles are getting higher too. Not to mention the prescription deductibles are freaking high on name brand medicine.

SO!

Any one know of a ins co that is affordable and covers everything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Gang Green

Get government funded healthcare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 AM
7c Forever

what I've read of the us gov't healthcare bill I'm not sure that I'd want it. It sure doesn't seem to be like what we have up here.

Personally I think it should go thru anyways 'cause you gotta start somewhere, but I doubt it'll be all daisies and champagne for the first year or 2.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
No Crying Allowed

beav, you wont find much cheaper on the open market, you also have to buy it local, so what we have here is worthless info to you.

fyi, my family coverage through my work is about 800 a month. but its very good coverage.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Quote:
fyi, my family coverage through my work is about 800 a month. but its very good coverage.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
I know a Broker guy that hooked my parents up with some good insurance I'll PM you his information

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Wow,
My family coverage at work is $30 a month, mostly thanks to the fact the government plan covers most stuff.
The work plan covers stuff like dental, drugs, psychologist, massage therapy, vision, etc..

Edit: Work puts in about $270 a month I think as well, we pay 10% of the cost of the plan.
Our US employees pay much more then us.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
I pay 47 a month, but that's just for me.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 PM
The answer? Simple: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
Wow,
My family coverage at work is $30 a month, mostly thanks to the fact the government plan covers most stuff.
The work plan covers stuff like dental, drugs, psychologist, massage therapy, vision, etc..

Edit: Work puts in about $270 a month I think as well, we pay 10% of the cost of the plan.
Our US employees pay much more then us.
What's your percentage of taxes though? You have to have something to pay for all that medical coverage and the gov't doesn't just print the money for free. They have to have an income to cover the expenses.

As to personal plans, all I can say is to start looking at them all. if your wife has a group plan through work, STAY WITH IT! I went self employed for a few years and our premiums went up and coverage went down. Not to mention, our insurance company was trying to get out of covering everything they could. They wound up rescinding my policy, refunding all my premiums and sticking us with tens of thousands of dollars in medical expenses.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:09 PM
7c Forever

income tax up here depends on province and it's a weird aggregate system, but figure ballpark, if you're in the $40k to $80k range, you're roughly in the 30% range

It's an oddball system where you pay a certain percentage for the first x dollars of a year, then a higher rate for the y dollars above and beyond x, and then an even higher rate for the z dollars above and beyond x and y.

Taking the average of it tho will put you around 25-30%, like I say, if you're inbetween 40 and 80k/year.

I think it can get up towards 45% if you're over 120k or so.

overall, the health care cost up here is ~8% of GDP, based on '08's figures, which is the most recent I can find at the moment.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Last edited by Junior; 01-22-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 PM
No Crying Allowed

Here is a little history of insurance and approx cost over the years for the same type of plan.

This is for family coverage, which included the wife and as many kids as you can pop out, even if it's only one.

1994 200.00
1996 300.00
2000 400.00
2005 550.00
2010 800.00

these are approx of course but I used to run the plans from about 2000 through 2008, so they are pretty accurate.

It's just stupid that the same coverage in 1994 is now 800 a month.

Each year to offset the increases companies raise the deductible and in crease the co payment. It's to the point of most people having a 4k deductible and a 40 co pay.

Keep in mind the rates I put above are a 20.00 co pay and 500.00 deductible.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
income tax up here depends on province and it's a weird aggregate system, but figure ballpark, if you're in the $40k to $80k range, you're roughly in the 30% range

It's an oddball system where you pay a certain percentage for the first x dollars of a year, then a higher rate for the y dollars above and beyond x, and then an even higher rate for the z dollars above and beyond x and y.

Taking the average of it tho will put you around 25-30%, like I say, if you're inbetween 40 and 80k/year.

I think it can get up towards 45% if you're over 120k or so.

overall, the health care cost up here is ~8% of GDP, based on '08's figures, which is the most recent I can find at the moment.
I think we're in the same tax bracket for the same income, though not sure. The problem I have is that our taxes will skyrocket because once the gov't collects taxes, they never let it go. Many taxes are now "fees" so to speak when they do claim taxes have gone down.

Overall, I'm still mixed on gov't sponsored healthcare. IMO, I don't think it'd be any different than the military system has. Which, for me was pretty good. I only utilized it a couple of times but had no complaints. Then again, it's just one more thing the gov't has over it's citizens.

I've heard numbers saying healthcare is 6% GDP for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
Here is a little history of insurance and approx cost over the years for the same type of plan.

This is for family coverage, which included the wife and as many kids as you can pop out, even if it's only one.

1994 200.00
1996 300.00
2000 400.00
2005 550.00
2010 800.00

these are approx of course but I used to run the plans from about 2000 through 2008, so they are pretty accurate.

It's just stupid that the same coverage in 1994 is now 800 a month.

Each year to offset the increases companies raise the deductible and in crease the co payment. It's to the point of most people having a 4k deductible and a 40 co pay.

Keep in mind the rates I put above are a 20.00 co pay and 500.00 deductible.
It's insane the rates they charge now, and we said the same back then too. Then again, look at how much medical costs have skyrocketed over the same period too.

My wife and I constantly get screwed when it comes to family plans because we only have one kid. How is it right that we pay the same amount of premiums as a family of five or six? Hell, one of my former coworkers had eight kids and paid the same rate as we did.

I don't care if people want to pop out as many kids as they want. But, they sure as hell better pay for it proportionately and not be on welfare or assistance if they do.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 AM
No Crying Allowed

I agree, I always thought that was total BS.... as we all know it's more money to pay for 6 kids vs only one.

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
I think we're in the same tax bracket for the same income, though not sure. The problem I have is that our taxes will skyrocket because once the gov't collects taxes, they never let it go. Many taxes are now "fees" so to speak when they do claim taxes have gone down.

Overall, I'm still mixed on gov't sponsored healthcare. IMO, I don't think it'd be any different than the military system has. Which, for me was pretty good. I only utilized it a couple of times but had no complaints. Then again, it's just one more thing the gov't has over it's citizens.

I've heard numbers saying healthcare is 6% GDP for us.
Ya you guys are at about 6% of GDP for healthcare costs, which is cheaper forsure, however ~30% of people just don't go to the doc when they're fucked up. Which isn't right either imo.

But ya, our system is very similar to the military system. Only it doesn't cover prescription drugs, which is kinda bogus, but that's the system showing it's age. When it was conceived prescription drugs weren't a big deal.

I don't think our system is perfect by any means, I just think it ain't right to price people out of the market, when the market is "being alive."

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
ok now that all the discussion is all done how about some companies people.....?

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Ya you guys are at about 6% of GDP for healthcare costs, which is cheaper forsure, however ~30% of people just don't go to the doc when they're fucked up. Which isn't right either imo.

But ya, our system is very similar to the military system. Only it doesn't cover prescription drugs, which is kinda bogus, but that's the system showing it's age. When it was conceived prescription drugs weren't a big deal.

I don't think our system is perfect by any means, I just think it ain't right to price people out of the market, when the market is "being alive."
I don't go in for a lot of regular stuff. But, I do go in when something's seriously wrong or not right. I don't have health insurance, so trying to cover costs is all and I argue with Docs if they want to run tests because half the time they aren't necessary and it's a revenue generating system for them.

I'm not sure what would be a good system if we did in fact go with state sponsored health care:

Preventive checks such as physicals and routine work covered with individuals carrying catastrophic insurance if they want.

-or-

Catastrophic coverage sponsored where individuals are responsible for the little stuff

Either way, I see it where it'd be no different than it is now. Also, if the gov't were to sponsor health coverage, it wouldn't contain the skyrocketing costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
ok now that all the discussion is all done how about some companies people.....?
It's going to be localized to your state as to who can provide health insurance for you. It's best to talk to people around you and what their experiences have been. Also, contact the state and get any and all complaints against insurance carriers. This will help you get an idea of what to do.

Two companies I won't do business with again if I can help it:

United Health
Preferred One

That being said, I've had good experiences with Blue Cross, Medica, Health Partners. But, have also had some negative issues.

I still say if your wife has group coverage, you're almost always better off sticking with that. Especially if you have pre-existing conditions or are close to being overweight according to the BMI scale.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:23 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
I don't go in for a lot of regular stuff. But, I do go in when something's seriously wrong or not right. I don't have health insurance, so trying to cover costs is all and I argue with Docs if they want to run tests because half the time they aren't necessary and it's a revenue generating system for them.

I'm not sure what would be a good system if we did in fact go with state sponsored health care:

Preventive checks such as physicals and routine work covered with individuals carrying catastrophic insurance if they want.

-or-

Catastrophic coverage sponsored where individuals are responsible for the little stuff

Either way, I see it where it'd be no different than it is now. Also, if the gov't were to sponsor health coverage, it wouldn't contain the skyrocketing costs.
Really I think it needs to contain both. But the gov't really should be pushing the routine preventative checks,t hat's what fucks the workforce over. Mild and preventable stuff. I mean even a mild case of flu can cost you a couple days of work and that costs the gov't what, a $3 shot to prevent, even if the certainty factor of the vaccination working is only 40-50% it still makes damned good financial sense.

That said, I don't take the flu shot 'cause I don't like the gov't sticking shit in me.

Catastrophic coverage is more an ethical thing than an economic one. Maybe it makes good economic sense to bankrupt a whole family over one tumor, but ethically it's questionable at best.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Really I think it needs to contain both. But the gov't really should be pushing the routine preventative checks,t hat's what fucks the workforce over. Mild and preventable stuff. I mean even a mild case of flu can cost you a couple days of work and that costs the gov't what, a $3 shot to prevent, even if the certainty factor of the vaccination working is only 40-50% it still makes damned good financial sense.

That said, I don't take the flu shot 'cause I don't like the gov't sticking shit in me.

Catastrophic coverage is more an ethical thing than an economic one. Maybe it makes good economic sense to bankrupt a whole family over one tumor, but ethically it's questionable at best.
There's a whole discussion in and of itself: Preventive medical

I think catastrophic is a mixed bag personally. Some only cover things such as accidental injuries and not major things such as cancer or other things while others do. What amazes me is that so many people are willing to bankrupt their families in order to keep themselves, or their loved ones alive. Even if it's for a short while longer. Me? I refuse to do so and have told my wife that if I ever get diagnosed with something terminal, or for whatever reason need life support to stay alive, she'll be better off in the long run to let me pass.

Speaking of which, I need to get that living will drafted up...
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:56 AM
7c Forever

yea there's a lot to be said for that. ~30% of the money that will be spent on your health in your whole life will be spent in the last 6 months of your life on average.

For me it's not about the money, it's that I'd rather live well for those last 2 months rather than 6 months of chemo. But that's a personal choice, and I wouldn't wanna force it on anybody.

But ya the preventative, it's that whole old saying about an ounce of prevention being a pound of cure. Which is maybe useless coming from a Canadian, I don't even know how many ounces to a pound. How many are there anyhow, 12? 16? Is it the same in the avoirdupois and troy?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:07 PM
doomsday machine

Quote:
Two companies I won't do business with again if I can help it:

United Health
My wife was in insurance billing for a while with the health system she works for. She'll agree with you on that one. I've heard a lot of after-work bitching about them.

Quote:
That being said, I've had good experiences with Blue Cross, Medica, Health Partners. But, have also had some negative issues.
Also from hearing bitching from wife.... Blue Cross will vary greatly, depending on the state. She hasn't dealt with CO Blue Cross, so I'm not sure what you're in for there, beav.

FWIW, I think Health Partners is a MN-only HMO...at least they were when I worked for them.

This was quite a while ago, but when I was between college and getting a job that offered health ins, I bought a policy from Fortis...I didn't really make much (if any) use of it that I can recall, but at least it's a name to look at.

Last edited by shagzomatic; 01-23-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode