Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Gulf Coast Oil Spill

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...oil-creep.html

Looks like a little trail of it is hitting land not the whole thing

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Looks like a massive Humpback Whale.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Typical oil company- take short cuts and then spend 50x that cleaning up the damn mess. Oh yeah, and kill a bunch of animals and F up the beaches. So typical BP.
Am I a tree hugger- no way
Will I always use gas in my cars and bikes- yup
Do I want them to risk the environment drilling for the stuff- no way in hell
Such a shame

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

How do you know it was cutting corners and not just a catastrophic failure?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
How do you know it was cutting corners and not just a catastrophic failure?

Does it really matter? It doesn't take the oil out of the water does it?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweezystunner View Post
Typical oil company- take short cuts and then spend 50x that cleaning up the damn mess. Oh yeah, and kill a bunch of animals and F up the beaches. So typical BP.
Am I a tree hugger- no way
Will I always use gas in my cars and bikes- yup
Do I want them to risk the environment drilling for the stuff- no way in hell
Such a shame
if you don't want to drill for it domestically, where do you want to get it from? Just keep getting it from the middle east?

Maybe a solution is to require oil rigs to have a ring around them that is several hundred feet in diameter around the rigs, to contain such breaches.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Such a damn shame. I read the other day that the rig is spewing something like 110 tons a day of crude into the ocean and that as of Wednesday it had a circumference of over 600 miles. God knows what it is now but that was still only 1/50th the size of the Exxon Valdez spill.

We all use oil based products and it's got to come from somewhere but this is such a shame - not to mention the fact that people died as well...

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 02:55 AM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Updated info - Miami University researcher Hans Gruber said satellite images of the slick on Friday showed it was three time bigger than estimated, covering an area of 3,500 square miles (9,000 square kilometers), similar in size to Puerto Rico.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said deteriorating conditions on the sea bed could result in a flow of 50,000 barrels a day, sufficient to produce one of America’s worst ecological disasters

Experts and officials said their greatest fear was that a disintegration of pipes close to the rig could produce an “unchecked gusher” that would ravage America’s southern coastline.

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I based that on a call I got from my dad who said that there was a $700,000 emergency cutoff valve they "should" have bought and installed, but didn't.
Maybe he was wrong, but that is what I was told.
I am in Europe and he is watching local news so I am getting 3rd hand info.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

Quote:
Yes one was intentional neglect and the other was an accident.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweezystunner View Post
I based that on a call I got from my dad who said that there was a $700,000 emergency cutoff valve they "should" have bought and installed, but didn't.
Maybe he was wrong, but that is what I was told.
I am in Europe and he is watching local news so I am getting 3rd hand info.
I haven't heard anything about that but it comes down to were they required by law to have that on there? Yes it's a great idea to have it but sometimes companies do whats required for them to do by law.. Not saying it's right but hey that's how things go sometimes.

I know that BP is covering the expenses to clean it all up they are just requiring the Coast Guard and Navy's help because well they already have all the ships and equipment. BP will be reimbursing Coast Guard and the Navy for their expenses is what I read.

This accident completely sucks but fact is we need offshore oil rigs, we need oil drilling in the US we need all this because there are billions of products that use petroleum let alone what we use in our vehicles, and I'm all for putting American's to work finding oil in this country than I am for importing from other countries no matter where they are. That's my 2 cents.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
Yes one was intentional neglect and the other was an accident.
You're missing the point though, it still doesn't take the oil out of the water.

And what's the difference between neglect and accident? I mean it wasn't done on purpose right? Then it was an accident! And accidents usually happen because of neglect.

"I accidentally ran over Rinn on his bike with my car because I neglected to look in my mirror."

My point is, if your're going to be drilling off shore, then there isn't room for any accidents. I'm sorry but in my opinion, in this case, if accidents are going to happen, then it shouldn't be done at all.

I'm not some tree hugging hippie either but, saying "I'm sorry I spilled a billion gallons of oil into the ocean" doesn't mean much.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

Quote:
You're missing the point though, it still doesn't take the oil out of the water.

And what's the difference between neglect and accident? I mean it wasn't done on purpose right? Then it was an accident! And accidents usually happen because of neglect.

"I accidentally ran over Rinn on his bike with my car because I neglected to look in my mirror."

My point is, if your're going to be drilling off shore, then there isn't room for any accidents. I'm sorry but in my opinion, in this case, if accidents are going to happen, then it shouldn't be done at all.

I'm not some tree hugging hippie either but, saying "I'm sorry I spilled a billion gallons of oil into the ocean" doesn't mean much.
Well it's a risk everything is a risk no matter what you do

Accident: an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap

Neglect: to omit, through indifference or carelessness

That's what I am talking about the legal sense of the word. Yes the oil is spilled, billions in damage, believe me I hate it too..

I think there just needs to be innovations in technology to be able to prevent this not to just give up completely on it all.. Imagine if the US shut down all off shore oil rigs 819 Oil Rigs that are active and manned in the Gulf Coast. The Gulf of Mexico normally pumps about 1.5 million barrels per day (bpd) of US crude, a quarter of domestic output and equivalent to nearly 2 percent of global oil production. As we now know, any disruption to this area can cause oil prices to dramatically increase. http://www.cccarto.com/gulf_platforms.html

3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf of Mexico in 2006 Oil platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not ok with putting that many people out of work, or having gas jump to around $10 a gallon, not to mention the price increase in all the other products that use oil in their production.

I understand what you are saying my point is it's unrealistic to stop offshore oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode