Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Question oil fill?

So I have been changing the oil on my bikes for ever. And some one told me something interesting the other day and was wondering which was true.

I fill the oil to the middle of the window with the bike standing straight up.

Someone told me that it needs to be half full in the window with the bike on the kick stand.

Which is the correct way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM
The answer? Simple: 42

Drain the bike, measure out oil capacity and fill. Start, run to temp, shut off let sit overnight. Check in the morning and see where the oil sits.

I only check my oil in the same position. On the stand.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
I put in the amount the Manual tells me to put in.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:55 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Beav, I remember that most manuals show the bike upright, I would stick to that, as you would have less chance of an underfill of oil. That is if you sight window is on the kick stand side. As tyou know, some oil will stay captive in the upper engine plus filter. In short, I fill my bike oil with it in the upright position

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 AM

unless the manual specifically says to do it on the kickstand, check it with the bike standing straight up on level ground. the ONLY time i've seen something like that was on the F4i's where the integrated brake reservoir was checked in that manner. the kickstand needed to be down and the steering @ the lock position.

sometimes kickstands get bent or removed (for racing). you can always find level ground with the bike perpendicular to the ground.

FWIW, i've been told if the bike's on the rearstand, you fill it up to the top of the sightglass unless you're using both stands and it's lifted evenly. if it's on the rearstand, you've essentially put it on a downward slope.

agreed on letting it run after filling after fluid change. i do this every time not only to recheck the fluid level but to check for leaks.

AFM #282

Last edited by stingray; 05-22-2010 at 03:18 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode