Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

MotoGP: Rossi to ride in one man team?

TUESDAY 2ND AUGUST 2005

Yamaha and Valentino Rossi may have announced that they will extend their partnership for a third season, but significant changes could still take place for 2006 with rumours suggesting that the Italian will be part of a one man team backed by telecommunications company Alice.

Spanish sportspaper AS claims that Rossi intends to shun tobacco sponsorship and return to his 500cc roots - when he rode a Nastro Azzurro backed Honda (lower pics), in a one man team, with which he went on to win the 2001 world championship.

However, the report states that Rossi would continue to rely on Jerry Burgess, who has been with the #46 since his Nastro Azzurro Honda days, as his crew chief and that his existing pit crew - whom he took with him from Repsol Honda at the end of 2003 - will also be unchanged.

Telefonica Movistar, who currently back Rossi's arch rival Sete Gibernau, are said to have been interested in backing the 'new' team, before Italian company Alice clinched the deal. Alice (pronounced 'A-leech-a')were the 2003 title sponsor for Aprilia and currently have a lesser presence on the factory Ducatis.

AS also claims that the satellite Tech 3 outfit, which currently runs Toni Elias and Ruben Xaus, will lose Yamaha support, while the 'official' two man factory team will hire an as yet unnamed rider to join Colin Edwards - reducing the total number of M1s on the MotoGP grid to three.

Impressive rookie Elias would be the obvious choice for the third 2006 Yamaha seat.

Rossi, German MotoGP. 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Ask the Chief

i bet he would run damn near the same colors as he did in 2001. THAT would be a sight.

two factory yamaha teams? hmmm.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:40 PM

Colins, 250cc Pedrosa (unnamed rider) ???, that would rock !!! I don't think Elias would be a wise choice imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Ask the Chief

pedrosa is honda bound. that is in stone.

with yamaha pulling support of the tech 3 team next year, elias stepping up to the factory team seems like a clear choice. then again, where is max going? just too many variables out there right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk

with yamaha pulling support of the tech 3 team next year, elias stepping up to the factory team seems like a clear choice. then again, where is max going? just too many variables out there right now.
Yea, one could only hope that Pedrosa would come to Yamaha , but no doubt he'll be in the Honda camp ......... hehe... it'll be fun to watch Rossi play with Pedrosa's in his first season of MotoGP
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Ask the Chief

or vice versa....

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:11 PM
FAsT BOYS

nicky
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Ask the Chief

nicky what?

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 PM
FAsT BOYS

nicky to yamaha
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:46 AM
7c Forever

hopper to yamaha... fuck nicky, 2 and a half years on an HRC RCV before so much as a podium?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:59 AM

" fuck nicky " ???

don't disrespect my home boy as such. He went from being the best in AMA to racing against the best in the entire world , that's a HUGE difference and it was far from 2 and a half years before he podiumed , get your shit straight before you start talking it.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:14 AM
7c Forever

ok, maybe I overdid it, but in any case, given the machine that he's had I don't think he has produced the results that one would expect, I HONESTLY think that what nicky needs is to move to a sattelite honda team where the team can work more closely with him and be more supportive, either Camel or Telefonica, Melandri was in more or less the same boat, lots of talent, no real application, look what happens as soon as he's under gracini's wing.

I have alot of respect for nicky, he's a good guy, but charisma only carry's you so far, I have no idea how he has kept the repsol ride this long. It's in his best interests however to get away from that factory mentality I think.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior
hopper to yamaha... fuck nicky, 2 and a half years on an HRC RCV before so much as a podium?
2 1/2 years before a victory.

he has several podiums.

how many victories for colin and hopper? none.

for that matter, how many podiums?

nicky is improving.....in some cases more so than other riders out there. where are the haters of xaus, byrne, ellison, checa, barros.....and even melandri, max, sete, and others? if you compare nicky's stats over the last few years to other riders in the series, he's doing the same as everyone else.

nicky gets a rap because he's in a high-vis spot with repsol, and honda has enough faith in him to keep him employed. honda doesn't just keep struggling riders floating around in high-paid positions. barros was out on his ear, max will be as well. nicky has one more year with repsol....he will get another win. i think pedrosa will motivate him......much more than max.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
I have no idea how he has kept the repsol ride this long.
because he's good....better than 3/4 of the field....and he will improve.

Quote:
It's in his best interests however to get away from that factory mentality I think.
naw....he's in a good spot. dude, telefonica is just as factory as repsol. they may not be the "top" factory team, but honda supports gibernau very much the same as nicky and max. probably even more than max, actually. a dnf is a dnf, factory or not.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:59 AM
7c Forever

ya you're likely right, I"m starting to feel really bad for attacking him like that.

I dunno, I do think he's abit overrated, but he's the hometown hero, he was perceived as the wonderkid here 'cause he beat mat, but mat was on a 750, nick was on a 1000. I mean, it's hard to attack him 'cause he's obviosly a WAY better rider than I could ever hope to be in a million years, but I just don't know if he's on par with everybody else.

I'd like to see the next big rivalry be Hayden on a Honda against Hopper on a Yamaha, but they both have to do whatever they think is best for there careers.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelp
Quote:

Yea, one could only hope that Pedrosa would come to Yamaha , but no doubt he'll be in the Honda camp ......... hehe... it'll be fun to watch Rossi play with Pedrosa's in his first season of MotoGP
pedrosa is going to be the biggest let down in the history of the premiere class. that guy is so overrated that when he performs like shit in the big leagues, it will be funny to see how people handle that.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredout46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelp
Quote:

pedrosa is going to be the biggest let down in the history of the premiere class. that guy is so overrated that when he performs like shit in the big leagues, it will be funny to see how people handle that.
good. then nicky will look like a hero.

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 04:07 PM
7c Forever

Quote:

good. then nicky will look like a hero.
good point
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
or vice versa....
LMAO !!! I seriously doubt Rossi will let Pedrosa flat out beat him, I know Pedrosa is good, really really good, but let's not forget who the true master is LOL ........

It's a major step from that lil firecracker 250cc to the big bang 990cc or in Pedrosa's case the rcv211 even though anyone can ride it, unlike the 500cc 2-strokes. It's gonna take him awhile to get use to the power before he can even think of riding on Rossi's level for the win, but I don't doubt he'll be better than Hayden in just a short time.

I like Pedrosa, and he has good skills, but he's not good everywhere just yet, which unlike Rossi is what you need to be the world champion.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 02:27 AM

i'd like to see hopper on something competitive. he's definitely got the skills he just needs the ride. remember, he's got the longest shelf life out of all the GP riders right now being the youngest on the grid. i think he's just turned legal drinking age.

suzuki's only seem to run well in the rain, when hp is not as big a factor. same goes for kawi. if you can get a good rain rider on either of those bikes (KRJ or jaque) they can podium.

AFM #282

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode