Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

MotoGP: FYI: MotoGP race tires info...

Maybe some of you already knew about this... but it was mentioned during the German(Sachsenring) GP last weekend... they uses "dual-compound" rear tires for left and right side... which means each side of the rear tire can be different compound... for example... most Michelin riders, like Rossi, on that day were using Medium-Hard on the left and Medium-Soft on the right...

8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 06:50 PM

yeah, they've been using dual compound tires for about 10 years vnow.

started out as a way to make a tire for daytona that would last on the banking and left hand corners but still have grip on the right handers.

Daytona has such a serious tire issue because heat is generated and kept in the tire on the banking and a majority of the turns in the old layout were left handers, so the right side of the tire would cool off and then have no grip.
to compensate Dunlop first introduced dual compound tires to have a harder more durable compound on the left hand side and in the middle, and a softer, more grip right hand side.

there has even at one point been a triple compound tire (dont remember who made it) but it was determined that it was not effectively better than a dual compouind tire to warrant the extra labor and expense in manufacturing.

BTW, there are some tires on the market for street use that do utilize dual compound technology, where there is a harder more durabel center compound, and a softer more grip compound on the edges.
Michelin, Pirelli, and DSunlop all offer them in the sport touring lines, but i'm not aware of a true Dual compound tire in street sport tires.

the funny thing is on the dual compound slicks, you can actually see the line where they join, and feel the difference in many cases....

the thing is, they can now better tailor a tire to a specific track (like PPIR) where they use a certain compound for the softer side, and then at another track, they use the same harder compund, and mix it with a medium compound to tailor directly to the track.....

taqlk about confusing...

"I'll take the medium-soft / medium hard for first practice on the rear with a soft front. But for second practice i want to try the medium/medium hard rear with a medium front then a medium/hard with a soft front......"

too many choices for my simple brain.

"Is it round?"
"Yes"
"does it hold air?"
"Yes"
"i'll take it!"

:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Great info Budha... 8)

LOL... :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 12:32 AM

LOL ...... great read guys , thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 12:37 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Budha you're always full of information. I think you're about due for a title change. From Der UberMember to Der Encyclopedia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode