Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

rossi says no to ducati

Quote:
Italian world champ decides to stick with Yamaha
(ANSA) - Sachsenring, August 1 - Italy's MotoGP ace Valentino Rossi has turned down the offer of a lucrative contract to ride for Italian team Ducati, sources close to Rossi said on Monday .

Rossi, who left Honda for Yamaha two seasons ago, has been in talks with Ducati for several weeks and many observers in the media believed the move to the Italian team was practically certain .

Ducati, along with its main sponsor, Marlboro, are believed to have offered Rossi a deal which would have netted him over 15 million euros per season. The Yamaha team, backed by Franco-Spanish tobacco company Altadis, is paying the reigning world champion 9 million euros for the current season and is rumoured to have offered him 10 million for 2006 .

It is still unclear what brought about the sudden decision to refuse Ducati's offer, which appears to have been reached just before or after the British Grand Prix on July 24 .

The move would have pleased the international motorcyling federation because it would have increased pubic interest in the sport even further, helping lift the price of TV rights .

It would also have excited many Italians to see the Pesaro-born champ finally riding an Italian bike .

But perhaps the thought of two team changes in as many years struck Rossi and his manager as too much upheaval. Or, as other pundits speculated, perhaps the rider was unsure of the Ducati bike he would be given .

The 27-year-old Rossi, who earns about 30 million euros a year even without his portfolio of personal sponsorship and advertising deals, is the undisputed king of his sport .

He has won motorcycling's flagship class for the last four years and is on course to do the same in 2005. With seven races to go, he has accumulated more than twice the number of points of his nearest rival .

He only has to win one more race, and then place 10th in another, to have the mathematical certainty of being world champion yet again .

http://ansa.it/main/notizie/awnplus/englis...-01_917566.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 04:12 PM
meat popsicle

Shame, It would be interesting to see if he could make it competitive.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:48 PM

He only has to win one more race, and then place 10th in another, to have the mathematical certainty of being world champion yet again .

2005 season, OWNED !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:56 PM

hmm... interesting... I think the Ducati can be very competitive in the hands of Rossi... just look at the past German GP... the Duc setted the fastest lap of the race... now they just need somebody more consistence...

:corn
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi
hmm... interesting... I think the Ducati can be very competitive in the hands of Rossi... just look at the past German GP... the Duc setted the fastest lap of the race... now they just need somebody more consistence...

maybe vermulen? can't see honda letting him go.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Quote:

maybe vermulen? can't see honda letting him go.....
Honestly... I really doubt Vermulen will do too well in GP... I mean he's young and still have time to learn... but we all have seen too many WSBK riders that are better than him and got their arses handed to them on a plate in MotoGP...

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

how's the descmocedi, i don't care much for spelling at 2am, engine vs the big bang?

but a huge reason i think is because ducati is signed with bridgestone and rossi wants those michelins
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 05:21 AM

The engine is pretty strong compared to the Yamaha V4... they actaully create one of the most HP on the field right now... if not more than Honda, then it's very close.... it's not as smooth as the M1... but for sure they've the most potential after the Honda and Yamaha...

I think it's more than just Bridgestone... cause if Rossi wants some Michelins on the Duc, he will get the Michelins one way or the other... I think he wants to break more records and become the second rider to win the title 6 times in a row... and to do that, Yamaha would give him a much better chance...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:21 AM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Honestly... I really doubt Vermulen will do too well in GP... I mean he's young and still have time to learn... but we all have seen too many WSBK riders that are better than him and got their arses handed to them on a plate in MotoGP...
unfortunately, someone is going to give him a ride in the next couple of years. factories are struggling to find the next vale right now.

i think if and when vale leaves, there will be a void for a one or two years. another "roberts" will win a championship, simply because they were consistent and finished top three every week. not sure that i see another dominant force rising in the ranks yet. maybe there's a suprise out there......somewhere.

val.....feedback? :corn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
unfortunately, someone is going to give him a ride in the next couple of years. factories are struggling to find the next vale right now.

i think if and when vale leaves, there will be a void for a one or two years. another "roberts" will win a championship, simply because they were consistent and finished top three every week. not sure that i see another dominant force rising in the ranks yet. maybe there's a suprise out there......somewhere.

val.....feedback? :corn
If Rossi leaves... then there will be quite a few guys that can take the championship... just look at the current points standing, position 2 to 7 are only seperated by 15 points... that's 6 riders right there...

Honestly, for the past couple of years, I've been following all WSBK, BSB, 125cc and 250cc... and I couldn't see someone similar to Rossi that starts putting a big show since he start winning in 125cc... they said Pedrosa is beating Rossi's 250cc records... but he just doesn't seems to have that "stand out" character like Rossi does...

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Ask the Chief

....but, pedrosa may be a product of the talent in the 250 class right now. only about 5 names you really hear consistently. dePruniet, Stoner, ect. easy to set records when there isn't much competition.

2-7 are separated by minimal points, but one or a few of those guys would be winning more often than now.....there would be a bigger points spread.

in years past, there's always been a standout. you don't finish first for nothing. there's lots of front-running caliber riders out there, but no huge standouts. would make the title chase more interesting, for sure. i wouldn't put it past any one of the 2-7 guys to step up and take it.....but not till vale is gone.

i just don't see that next "prodigy" coming up thru the ranks. you can't say anyone is a prodigy right now, because they'd be giving rossi a run for his money.

doesn't pedrosa remind you of melandri? loads of talent, but no personality and flair to match it.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 02:23 AM

Quote:
...doesn't pedrosa remind you of melandri? loads of talent, but no personality and flair to match it.
Yeah very similar... I was expecting Melandri to be something different... but I guess I was wrong... :
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 04:14 PM

i reckon even rossi thought there's no way to honderise the ducati
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

pedrosa will be the next biaggi.

personally i think hopper, if given the ride, would be able to kick some serious ass when rossi moves on.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
be nice to see him do it on every type of bike LOL

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey
:imwst And I would definatley love to see him on a Duc!!! It would only be fitting. The best Italian rider on the best Italian bike. Plus doing something no GP rider has ever done....wiinning a GP champ on 3 different bikes. It would be nuts!!!!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey
:imwst

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode