Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

AFM 4hr endurance race @ sears pt. (infineon raceway)

it's not quite as interesting as bmf's, more like a tale of woe, but if you're bored or have some time to kill during a conference call, feel free to read on.

Endurance race report:

team "we didn't flake this year" somehow flaked out. everything was set. dave grace, mike wong and myself were to run the 4hr endurance race. got our seat time @ thunderhill raceway in willows the previous week w/ keigwins.

friday roles around, i get lazy and don't register for friday practice. figure i'd get all my "practice" in during the enduro and i don't want to tire myself out being the out of shape slob that i am. switching to michelins this go around instead of the usual trusty dunlops since both dave and mike run michelins. took a long ass time to get my tires done even though i was 1 of the 1st to arrive. brought wheels in, well before the late shipment of michelins arrived (probably good 2hrs) and somehow 10 other people got theirs done before mine while mine are still sitting on the rack. lesson learned, gotta keep on alex to make sure the tires get done in a timely manner otherwise it'll just keep getting pushed back. i wanted to get it teched and ready to go for saturday but by the time even the rear was finished tech was closed. but thanks to everett for helping w/ the balancing.

saturday practice. go out on a cold track w/ new tires and everything's slippin' around even w/ only minor lean. dave passes me on his F2 and i gave chase but ended up having a nice slide in 8a that forced me to back off. michelins still take time to warm up even if they are sticky slicks. mike takes the bike out and finally gets comfortable on it and is ready for the enduro. 2nd practice and it barely warms up. i'm still not comfortable riding even remotely hard on the bike being on a new front w/ different characteristics (taller profile, harder compound). it's dave's turn for the 2nd and last enduro practice before the actual 4hr. he takes off but something doesn't seem right. sounds really bad, like a thumper. he comes back less than a min. later and it's sputtering and not running right at all. do a few quick checks but can't figure out what's going on. i looked under the tail and looked like maybe the CDI wires were being rubbed by the bodywork. started taking off the tail thinking some of the wires were frayed from constant rubbing. dan (#844), who is pitted next to me and chris (#428) and comes by to check up on us fiddling w/ the bike. take off the tail, there were some rub marks but no exposed wiring. straighten it out a little and fire it up, still same thing. pull it back into the pits and check the coils, everything has spark, look @ the carbs and the front carb is bone dry. fire it up and still bone dry. ugh. take the carbs out, fuel line looks like it has fuel in it. take the needle out but shit flies everywhere and end up spending time looking for the little needle spring. by this time announcement is called for mandatory enduro rider's meeting. shit. dave and i decide we may as well tell em to cancel so we don't get charged for the enduro w/o even taking a lap in. but back to business @ hand. take the carb cover off to get into the jets and sprayed carb cleaner into the jets. something dislodges from the pilots and literally shoots out. quick reassembly and fire it up, fuel going into both cylinders and running good, yay! we're back in business, start to quickly throw everything back together to get it ready.....when dave comes back. yep, we're officially canceled from the enduro. team "we didn't flake this year" flaked. but this time it was the bike, not the riders who wasn't up to the task.

IIRC, there was only 1 other 650 out there (aaron #728's team) which looked like it crashed out (zoran's team was a 500). if we had started and had we completed, we could have at least bragged we're the only 650 to finish :laugh positive note is that we didn't find out DURING the enduro.

big thanks to dan for helping out w/ our bike problems. the man knows his shit. we couldn't get it running in time for the enduro but at least it was ready for sunday so my weekend wasn't a complete waste of time.

ended up tooling around, taking a couple photos from T11. buttoned up everything back on the bike, started it several times to make sure it was running and went to tech after the sidecar races and it's all good for sunday.

AFM #282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
moved this as i want to keep the members area for motomummy deals, info, or sponsored riders...no biggy. just want to keep things clean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 PM

I'll be there on Sunday. My friend is racing AFM 250 production
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

this sunday (8/21/05)? ummm...like a week late dude. i think it's the IRL races this coming weekend?

AFM #282
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:14 PM

Ah...i mean Saturday 8/20. IRL is not this weekend, it's next weekend.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 05:37 AM

thats too bad about the problems, but at least the weekend wasnt a complete loss. and i give you credit for running michelins.. i couldnt do that..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode