Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Checa stuns on Tech 3 debut.

Carlos Checa was the talk of the Qatar test after finishing his Tech 3/Dunlop debut with the third fastest lap time - behind only factory Yamaha riders Valentino Rossi and Colin Edwards - as the Spaniard closed to within 0.42secs of the reigning world champion... despite suffering a concussion on day two.

Checa set a best lap time of 1min 58.22secs on day one, improved to a 1min 57.94secs on day two - despite having to halt testing at midday after hitting his head - and then finished his desert outing with a superb 1min 59.65secs circulation.

To put that lap time into further perspective, the fastest race lap from last October's Qatar Grand Prix was a 1min 57.903secs - set by Repsol Honda's Nicky Hayden - while pole was a 1min 56.917secs by Ducati's Loris Capirossi.

"I am satisfied with this first test although of course we have many improvements to make. It's important to be realistic, even though the times have been good, and to keep focused and working hard," said Carlos, who was handed a late MotoGP lifeline with tech 3 after the withdraw of Honda Pons. "Obviously one of the main areas we need to work on is the tyres. They work well in these conditions and I am happy with the front, but we need to work a lot on the rear. We need to do as much testing as we can during the next days in Sepang to find the right mix and to find a better situation for the rear.

"I really want to say thank you to Yamaha, Dunlop and all the other people who helped to make this possible given me the chance to be back on the grid. In January my situation was not so good and I have had to fight hard to come back, but now I have this chance and I am happy for it. I think this new M1 is definitely the best Yamaha I have ever ridden so this is very exciting," he declared.

"Now we need to go to Sepang and continue to work in the same way. Everyone will make comparisons and look at the times but at this time that should not be our focus. We have started work and we have a lot more to do. We must not hurry to be in front at the moment, but focus on development. For myself I have finished to think about my previous situation and now I just want to focus on my sporting activities for this season," concluded the 2005 Ducati rider.

But despite Checa's words of caution, team director Herve Poncharal was a happy man after seeing the MotoGP veteran outpace the likes of Bridgestone shod Team Suzuki MotoGP riders John Hopkins and Chris Vermeulen.

"It's been great to come here with a full team and with Carlos. It's been a good three days. The performance of Carlos has been better than anyone expected for his first outing on the Dunlops, so this is encouraging. There were three Yamaha's at the front today and this makes me very happy."

Checa's team-mate James Ellison set the seventh fastest time at the test as he continued to learn the YZR-M1

:corn
Attached Images
File Type: jpe 060131_yrcgp.jpe (37.5 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Ask the Chief

there's three yamahas at the front....but they're up against suzuki! if honda was there....

good for carlos. hope he can keep up the speed, but times past tell a different tale. it's not about preseason testing....it's about winning races.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
there's three yamahas at the front....but they're up against suzuki! if honda was there....

good for carlos. hope he can keep up the speed, but times past tell a different tale. it's not about preseason testing....it's about winning races.
I agree mark...It’s all about the races ... i really would like to see more then Rossi on the yam @ the podium ... at least would give a better image to Yamaha and some people will stop claiming that because of Rossi ….. “Yamaha is winning”!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:02 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1biker
some people will stop claiming that because of Rossi ….. “Yamaha is winning”!

has it occured to you that they're right?

if vale hadn'ta been around, last season our highest position would have been a second for Edwards at laguna, and honda would have won 13 races.

and get this.... Kawasaki would have won one where Yamaha couldn't...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Ask the Chief

now i'm routing for KR!!! I want to see all that persistence pay off this year! just one win would be awesome.

vale is the ultimate test rider. he made the M1 what it is. without him, they would still be struggling with a mediocre chassis and motor, just as is kawasaki and suzuki. crazy thing is, he could make both of those bikes winners.....love to see him do it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior
has it occured to you that they're right?

if vale hadn'ta been around, last season our highest position would have been a second for Edwards at laguna, and honda would have won 13 races.

and get this.... Kawasaki would have won one where Yamaha couldn't...
Well Yamaha.. Have only Rossi .. Honda has 4 to 5 good riders .. true Rossi made the bike better .. Like he did with RC211V as well back in the days ...
And if Rossi did not see any hope or potential to the M1 he would never moved to Yamaha...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
7c Forever

so Edwards isn't a good rider? you must be joking.

Mark I agree man, shit even a podium for KR would make me a happy man, but in the wet they better look out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
so Edwards isn't a good rider? you must be joking.
Junior i did not say Edwards isn't a good rider...
But he's not as good as sete, biaggi , melandri, hayden and so on ..
Edwards have the least podium between the one I named above (3)... I really like him but I was expecting much more from him....
And this season (2006) IMO… I don't think he will be in the top 5 ... hope I’m wrong
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Ask the Chief

i just keep hoping some of these guys will step up and win. having a tight championship makes it SO much fun to watch.

supercross has been pretty fun to watch this year!

i love colin to death, but he NEEDS a win. 4 years in motogp without a win is a pretty serious drought, especially for a prior WSBK champ.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
i love colin to death, but he NEEDS a win. 4 years in motogp without a win is a pretty serious drought, especially for a prior WSBK champ.
That was my point to junior as well!!!
I have nothing against Edwards... He’s one of the best to test tires as well...
But i was expecting more form him

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
7c Forever

ya fair enough, I wanna clarify that it's not personal, I just think that edwards is an incredible rider and he can't perform 'cause the bike isn't on the level.

Rossi has the same bike, but he's above the level. and can make up for it being behind. Edwards wont win a race while Rossi is his teammate, that's a grim reality.

Keep in mind tho, Edwards was the only rider to haul in points at every race this past season. and I have never seen him outride the tires, the man knows consistancy, and doesn't make mistakes (reminds me of Chandler in that way) I would rate him as a better rider than Hayden, Sete might be faster for a lap or 2 at a time on equal machinery, but not over race distance... Melandri... what can I say, that kid is fast.

The yamaha is a fast bike to be sure, but it's not on the level of the honda, possibly not even on the level of the ducati, impossible to tell that without them being on the same rubber tho.

anyways, cheers all, and peace, I'm not trying to start anything, just trying to peacefully disagree.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
ya fair enough, I wanna clarify that it's not personal, I just think that edwards is an incredible rider and he can't perform 'cause the bike isn't on the level.

Rossi has the same bike, but he's above the level. and can make up for it being behind. Edwards wont win a race while Rossi is his teammate, that's a grim reality.

Keep in mind tho, Edwards was the only rider to haul in points at every race this past season. and I have never seen him outride the tires, the man knows consistancy, and doesn't make mistakes (reminds me of Chandler in that way) I would rate him as a better rider than Hayden, Sete might be faster for a lap or 2 at a time on equal machinery, but not over race distance... Melandri... what can I say, that kid is fast.

The yamaha is a fast bike to be sure, but it's not on the level of the honda, possibly not even on the level of the ducati, impossible to tell that without them being on the same rubber tho.

anyways, cheers all, and peace, I'm not trying to start anything, just trying to peacefully disagree.
I agree.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 09:21 PM

also, Edwards has been in GP for 4 years, AND has been on 3 different bikes...

year 1, aprilia
year 2, Honda
Year 3 and 4, Yamaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode