Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

WSBK Superpole qualifying times Bayliss on pole! - Phillip Island.

Full World Superbike Superpole qualifying times from the second round of the 2006 world championship, held at Phillip Island, Australia.

1. Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati Xerox 999F06 1min 32.159 secs
2. Troy Corser AUS Alstare Suzuki Corona Extra GSXR1000 K6 1min 32.373 secs
3. James Toseland GBR Winston Ten Kate Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 33.003 secs
4. Steve Martin AUS Foggy Petronas Racing FP1 1min 33.206 secs
5. Alex Barros BRA Team Klaffi Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 33.373 secs
6. Karl Muggeridge AUS Winston Ten Kate Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 33.571 secs
7. Andrew Pitt AUS Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 33.598 secs
8. Noriyuki Haga JPN Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 33.631 secs
9. Lorenzo Lanzi ITA Ducati Xerox 999F06 1min 33.791 secs
10. Chris Walker GBR PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX10R 1min 33.928 secs
11. Pierfrancesco Chili ITA D.F.X. Treme Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 33.998 secs
12. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki Corona Extra GSXR1000 K6 1min 34.111 secs
13. Fonsi Nieto SPA PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse 2 ZX10R 1min 34.158 secs
14. Regis Laconi ITA PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX10R 1min 34.492 secs
15. Roberto Rolfo ITA Team Ducati SC - Caracchi 999F05 1min 34.719 secs
16. Ivan Clementi ITA Team Pedercini Ducati 999RS 1min 35.032 secs

Non Superpole times:

17. Norick Abe JPN Yamaha Motor France-Ipone YZF R1 1min 34.269 secs
18. Fabien Foret FRA Alstare Suzuki Corona Extra GSXR1000 K6 1min 34.513 secs
19. Max Neukirchner GER Klaffi Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 34.559 secs
20. Michel Fabrizio ITA DFX Treme Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 34.632 secs
21. Sebastien Gimbert FRA Yamaha Motor France-Ipone YZF R1 1min 34.666 secs
22. Ruben Xaus ESP Sterilgarda - Berik Ducati 999F05 1min 34.79 secs
23. Marco Borciani ITA Sterilgarda - Berik Ducati 999F05 1min 34.944 secs
24. Shinichi Nakatomi JPN Yamaha Motor France-Ipone YZF R1 1min 35.039 secs
25. Franco Battaini ITA Team Bertocchi Kawasaki ZX10R 1min 35.316 secs
27. Craig Jones GBR Foggy Petronas Racing FP1 1min 35.886 secs
28. Lucio Pedercini ITA Team Pedercini Ducati 999RS 1min 35.931 secs
29. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA Celani Team GSXR1000K6 1min 36.202 secs

Xerox Ducati's Troy Bayliss put in an inch perfect lap to take a 'super' pole position ahead of reigning World Champion Troy Corser on the Alstare Corona Extra Suzuki, in front of their home fans at Phillip Island, Australia.

The second round of the Corona Extra World Superbike Championship is hotting up to be one of the best races in Superbike history with five Aussies on the front two rows of the grid for Sundays races - however, Briton James Toseland parked his Winston Ten Kate Honda on the front row in third place in an effort to stop the Australian show of strength! Toseland was a little squirrelly over Lukey Heights but held onto his line to complete a competitive lap.

"I'm happy to be front row. The two Troys are going well as expected, but I've got a good setting and I'm consistent," said the former World champ. "Everyone will have the same tyre problems with them spinning up so I feel I'm in with a chance."

This is only Toseland's second race meeting with his new bike and team and he feels he is still learning: "I'm learning every time I go out on the bike and I'm putting the time in. Basically I'm doing what Vermeulen did last year," he explained. "I want to keep the success for me and the team. I'm tied second with Corser in the Championship at the moment so I want to build on that."
Meanwhile, the final spot on the front row went to the excellent Steve Martin on the underpowered Foggy Petronas.

"The bike handles well here and I can put consistent laps together," said Martin. "Plus it is not as aggressive on rear tyres as some of the 1000cc bikes are." A front row start at his home race is what every rider needs, "To be front row is a prize in itself and it will certainly help tomorrow," he concluded.

Clutch problems hampered Corser last weekend in Qatar so he was keen to not have a repeat of that concern. "We had to change the bike a bit but we've gone quicker than in the test we did here." Tyres lasting race distance seems to be everyone's concern at Phillip Island including Corser: "The race tyres are good, they drop off a bit but then seem to settle in ok," he said.

As for the clutch problem, that appears to be solved: "When we were first here we had similar clutch problems to Qatar. We've made some changes and now the bike is perfect," said Corser "I just need a good start into turn one and use the tyres as best I can at the start but keep some for later in the race."

The relaxed Bayliss was pleased with his second pole position in a row and admitted: "Obviously it is nice to be pole and I'm having a dream run right now, but tomorrow will be hard and hot."

The racing is expected to be very close as Bayliss explains: "I really need a good start as Phillip Island makes for good racing by bringing everyone together. I hope to have it sorted with two thirds to go. I'm planning on looking after my tyres and saving them for the final third," he revealed.

:corn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode