Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Gardner: MotoGP is on thin ice.

Gardner: MotoGP is on thin ice.

Australia's first 500cc World Champion, Wayne Gardner, has warned that MotoGP is on "thin ice" at the moment and would be in "a bit of trouble" if it wasn't for superstar Valentino Rossi.

Gardner was a 500GP rider from 1984-1992 and - speaking exclusively to Crash.net before the 'destabilising' news that MotoGP rights holder, Dorna Sports, will need to be sold in order for current owner CVC Capital Partners to go ahead with its planned takeover of Formula One - was asked for his opinion on the current state of the now 990cc four-stroke premier-class.

"I think it's good, but I'm a bit concerned about the costs - it's blowing the factory budgets out and sponsors aren't exactly lined up at the door to join," replied the 18 times 500cc race winner, who rode Max Biaggi's Repsol Honda at last year's Australian Grand Prix (pictured). "I think it's on rocky roads right now, if we didn't have Rossi I think the whole series would be in a bit of trouble at this moment.

"I enjoy watching the grands prix and the new machines, but I'm really concerned about the future of the sport. They seem to be skating on thin ice at the moment and they need to do more marketing, bring in more cost effective racing and have some sort of long term planning - there doesn't seem to be that at the moment," he added. "It'll be interesting to see what happens..."

ardner finished championship runner-up to Yamaha's Eddie Lawson in 1986, before winning his world title in '87, then finishing runner-up to Lawson and Yamaha again in 1988.

The 2006 MotoGP season starts this weekend in Spain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:16 AM

The available pics are great too !

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
7c Forever

man, Wayne Gardner has to be one of the most underrated world champions of all time, he had the misfortune of having to run against Lawson and Spencer in his early years, then Rainey, Schwantz, and might Mick in his later years.

Even Gerry Burgess says he is one of the most talented riders ever to throw a leg over a 500 tho. I think the quote was soemthing like "I mean no disrespect, because Wayne is a great guy, but he can't develope a bike to save his soul, he just has this superhuman ability to have either the throttle or both brakes totally pinned, and be able to wrestle the bike straight and not crash, it's uncanny, but leaves the developement almost entirely up to Mick."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode