Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

****Race results - Jerez.**** SPOILER ****

Full MotoGP race results from the Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez, round one of the 2006 world championship.

1. Loris Capirossi ITA Ducati Marlboro Team 45min 57.733 secs
2. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team 46min 2.108 secs
3. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team 46min 7.729 secs
4. Toni Elias SPA Fortuna Honda 46min 7.868 secs
5. Marco Melandri ITA Fortuna Honda 46min 17.28 secs
6. Casey Stoner AUS Honda LCR 46min 18.970 secs
7. Shinya Nakano JPN Kawasaki Racing Team 46min 19.105 secs
8. Kenny Roberts USA Team Roberts 46min 30.147 secs
9. John Hopkins USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 46min 30.392 secs
10. Makoto Tamada JPN Konica Minolta Honda 46min 33.716 secs
11. Colin Edwards USA Camel Yamaha Team 46min 35.663 secs
12. Chris Vermulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 46min 37.247 secs
13. Carlos Checa SPA Tech 3 Yamaha 46min 40.562 secs
14. Valentino Rossi ITA Camel Yamaha Team 47min 3.499 secs
15. Alex Hofmann GER Pramac d'Antin MotoGP 47min 21.033 secs
16. James Ellison GBR Tech 3 Yamaha 46min 8.428 secs

DNF:
Jose Luis Cardoso SPA Pramac d'Antin MotoGP 22min 52.296 secs
Randy de Puniet FRA Kawasaki Racing Team 10min 41.370 secs
Sete Gibernau SPA Ducati Marlboro Team 3min 37.223 secs

Ducati's Loris Capirossi has taken victory in a dramatic season opening Spanish Grand Prix - after finally breaking the amazing challenge of MotoGP rookie Dani Pedrosa with just two laps to go.

Nicky Hayden just held off Toni Elias for third while Valentino Rossi recovered from his first turn fall to claim 14th.

Last edited by R1biker; 03-26-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Rossi down at turn one!

Valentino Rossi's chances of victory in the season opening Spanish Grand Prix have ended at the very first turn, after the Italian superstar fell from his Camel Yamaha following contact with Toni Elias.

Rossi's rear wheel was hit by Elias at the apex of turn one - the Italian being sent spinning across the asphalt before springing to his feet and punching the air in disgust.

The seven times world champion then slowly remounted his factory M1, which looks to have lost its right footpeg in the incident, to continue the race almost a minute down.

Meanwhile, pole sitter Loris Capirossi leads the race after two laps from Marco Melandri, with Sete Gibernau having retired from an early third with mechanical problems.

Some High res pics

Last edited by R1biker; 03-26-2006 at 09:29 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 09:54 AM

That fall really was too bad, because he looked superaggressive at the start............

*headdesk* but a great race non the less.

Btw, what's up with the design of Rossi's helmet?
LMAO the uplose pics I've seen of it sort of makes it seem like one of those riddles and ambigrams from the davinci code/angels and demons.

from the back of his helmet (it obviously states VR, 46 [a little bit subtly] and there's 7 stars. [which is what's on top of Michael Schumacher's helmet too :])

Plus if you go to the url noted on the side .....well uhm errr, I guess it's maintained by someone from the trib¨? lots of pictures though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Well the crash was Elias fault and he did go see Rossi and told him sorry..
Rossi reply while laughing... no problem this is racing but next time try to brake earlier and if you cannot pick anther bike not mine

:laugh :laugh
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Now that all the rabbits have run off and had their fun, the fox will come a hunting next race.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Yamaha Press Release

MotoGP : Yamaha riders unable to shake off Jerez curse
Round: 1 - 2006 MotoGP Jerez
Circuit: Jerez
Date: 26 March 2006

Temp: 22║C
Weather: Dry

An eventful weekend at Jerez ended in disappointing fashion today as both
Valentino Rossi and Colin Edwards got caught in a first corner melee that ended
their hopes of glory in the opening round of the 2006 MotoGP World Championship.
The Camel Yamaha Team pair made good starts from ninth and tenth on the grid
respectively but a collision between Rossi and Toni ElÝas (Honda) on the inside
of turn one saw the Italian knocked from his YZR-M1 and sent Edwards wide into
the gravel trap.

Despite some damage to his bike, Rossi showed the character of a true World
Champion as he returned to the track, battling his way back into the field and
picking off several riders to secure two championship points in fourteenth
place. Edwards, meanwhile, fought from second last to eleventh by the end of the
27-lap encounter. Victory went to pole setter Loris Capirossi (Ducati) in a race
time of 45'57.733, but he was pushed hard by second-placed Dani Pedrosa (Honda)
on his debut in the MotoGP class. Nicky Hayden (Honda) completed the podium.

Colin Edwards (11th; + 37.930)
"I probably made the best race start of my whole life, Valentino got away well
too and we went together into the first bend. Elias came up on the inside and I
actually saw everything happen but to be honest I thought Vale would be able to
stay on the bike so I kept my corner speed and tried to just run it around the
outside. Unfortunately he went down and I had nowhere to go but the gravel. It
really capped the weekend off for us but the truth is that we weren't fast
enough to challenge today. This track has been a real pain for us and I can't
wait to get away. We've got a test tomorrow but I'll be happy when we get to
Qatar, where the bike worked really well in testing."

Valentino Rossi (14th; + 1'05.766)
"We knew this was going to be a difficult race but maybe not so difficult! I saw
Toni come up on the inside and he hit me; this is racing and these things
happen. I have known Toni for many years and he is a good rider. He apologised
to me after the race so I told him not to worry - only to remember to brake next
time and if it is too late then to hit another bike instead of me! Anyway I came
back on the track and had a nice battle with Alex Hofmann. I am disappointed
because I wanted to win the first race of the season but there is nothing we can
do now. Only work hard to make sure we don't have these problems again and look
forward to the next race in Qatar."

Davide Brivio - Camel Yamaha Team Director
"It seems that everything that could go wrong did go wrong for us this weekend.
On Friday morning when we needed the time to test it rained and things have gone
continually against us since then. We obviously still have a lot of work to do
and for some reason our bike clearly doesn't work at this circuit so we are keen
to find out why, if we can, in tomorrow's test. The engineers have a lot of data
and everyone is working at 100% to find a solution. We were fast at Sepang,
Qatar and Catalunya so there is no need to panic and we can look forward to the
next race. On a positive note I thought both riders showed character to fight
back after the first corner incident and hopefully they will have better luck
next time."

Race classification MotoGP

Round: 1 - 2006 MotoGP Jerez
Circuit: Jerez
Circuit Length: 4423
Lap Record: 1' 40.596 (Valentino Rossi, 2005)
Fastest Lap Ever: 1' 39.064 (Loris Capirossi, 2006)

Race: 27 Laps
Pos. Rider Manufacturer Nat. Total Time
1 L. Capirossi Ducati ITA 45' 57.733
2 D. Pedrosa Honda ESP +4.375
3 N. Hayden Honda USA +9.996
4 T. Elias Honda ESP +10.135
5 M. Melandri Honda ITA +19.547
6 C. Stoner Honda AUS +21.237
7 S. Nakano Kawasaki JPN +21.372
8 K. Roberts Team Roberts KR USA +32.414
9 J. Hopkins Suzuki USA +32.659
10 M. Tamada Honda JPN +35.983
11 C. Edwards Yamaha USA +37.930
12 C. Vermeulen Suzuki AUS +39.514
13 C. Checa Yamaha ESP +42.829
14 V. Rossi Yamaha ITA +1' 5.766
15 A. Hofmann Ducati GER +1' 23.300
16 J. Ellison Yamaha GBR +1 lap(s)

Fastest Race Lap:
Pos. Rider Manufacturer Nat. Total Time
1 L. Capirossi Ducati ITA 1' 41.248

Championship standings MotoGP

Pos. Rider Manufacturer Nat. Points
1 Loris Capirossi Ducati ITA 25
2 Daniel Pedrosa Honda ESP 20
3 Nicky Hayden Honda USA 16
4 Toni Elias Honda ESP 13
5 Marco Melandri Honda ITA 11
6 Casey Stoner Honda AUS 10
7 Shinya Nakano Kawasaki JPN 9
8 Kenny Roberts Team Roberts KR USA 8
9 John Hopkins Suzuki USA 7
10 Makato Tamada Honda JPN 6
11 Colin Edwards Yamaha USA 5
12 Chris Vermeulen Suzuki AUS 4
13 Carlos Checa Yamaha ESP 3
14 Valentino Rossi Yamaha ITA 2
15 Alex Hofmann Ducati GER 1

Manufacturers standings MotoGP

Pos. Manufacturer Points
1 Ducati 25
2 Honda 20
3 Kawasaki 9
4 Team Roberts KR 8
5 Suzuki 7
6 Yamaha 5

Team standings MotoGP

Pos. Team Points
1 Repsol Honda Team 40
2 Ducati Marlboro Team 25
3 Fortuna Honda Team 24
4 Rizla Suzuki 11
5 Honda LCR 10
6 Kawasaki Racing Team 9
7 Team Roberts KR 8
8 Camel Yamaha Team 7
9 Konica Minolta Honda 6
10 Tech3 Yamaha 3
11 Pramac D'Antin 1
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwf
Plus if you go to the url noted on the side .....well uhm errr, I guess it's maintained by someone from the trib¨? lots of pictures though.
Check out my helmet... :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myhelmet1.JPG (80.1 KB, 45 views)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 12:38 PM

Hmm ok, I just hadn't seen it before.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwf
Hmm ok, I just hadn't seen it before.
I think that page has something to do with his name as "The Doctor"... it has to be from someone in the fan club...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Capirossi beats Pedrosa for Jerez victory.

Ducati's Loris Capirossi has taken victory in a dramatic season opening Spanish Grand Prix - after finally breaking the amazing challenge of MotoGP rookie Dani Pedrosa with just two laps to go.

The race started with high drama when reigning five times MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi - winner of the first race of the season for the past five years - was hit by Toni Elias at the apex of a claustrophobic turn one; the Italian being sent spinning across the asphalt before springing to his feet and punching the air in disgust.

The seven times world champion then slowly remounted his factory M1 - which looked to have sustained footpeg/rear brake lever and front brake lever damage - to continue the race almost a minute down and with his chances of victory well and truly over. Team-mate Colin Edwards was also caught up in the mayhem, dropping back down the field as he avoided the contact ahead.

Meanwhile, pole sitter Capirossi had held off team-mate Sete Gibernau to lead the field around turn one - with Marco Melandri third, Nicky Hayden fourth, Casey Stoner fifth - after a stunning first MotoGP start - with Shinya Nakano, Pedrosa, Randy de Puniet and Checa following.

2005 MotoGP runner-up Melandri dived past Gibernau later in the lap, but much worse was to follow for the Catalan - who had set the pace in morning warm-up - when he suddenly raised his hand on the exit of a turn, a lap later, to signal terminal mechanical problems for his Desmosedici.

At around the same time, fellow Spaniard Pedrosa was already starting to feature - the triple world champion carving his way confidently through the field to take third from Melandri, behind new second place man Hayden, on lap 4 - while Capirossi pulled clear up front.

However, any fears that Loris would walk away to victory were soon quashed as Dani blasted past team-mate Hayden and promptly began taking chunks out of the Italian's lead. It is no exaggeration to say that Pedrosa was already giving many of his new rivals a riding lesson - and cut Capirossi's advantage down to under one second within five laps.

By the halfway stage, that slim margin still separated the top two, with Hayden now a further three-seconds adrift and Melandri in turn two-seconds from the #69 and coming under pressure from new team-mate Elias. Behind the top five, Stoner, Nakano, Hopkins, Roberts, Checa, Tamada, Vermeulen, Edwards, Hofmann, Cardoso, Ellison and Rossi completed the remaining runners.

With the crowd cheering Pedrosa over every inch of the 4.4km circuit, the Spaniard continued to hunt down Capirossi - making ground on braking/corner entry and sliding less than the #65 ahead - and with 10 laps to go had well and truly caught the double 2005 race winner, lurking just a few tenths from his rear wheel.

But the closing stages were always where Pedrosa would face his biggest fitness challenge and, although he showed no signs of fatigue in terms of mistakes, the last five laps saw the #26 finally lose ground to Capirossi - although the #26's sensational victory challenge only realistically ended when he dropped 1.8secs from Loris with two laps to go.

Thus, Capirossi crossed the finish line to make a perfect start to the 2006 season, while Pedrosa - the revelation of the race - produced the best rookie performance since Max Biaggi's 1998 debut 500cc victory.

Further back, Hayden held off Elias by less than 0.1secs for the final podium position, while Rossi crossed the line over a minute down on Capirossi in 14th. Elias, having stepped from his bike to help light fireworks, apologised at length to Valentino for the first turn incident during their slow down lap - with Rossi's expressionless body language suggesting Toni could perhaps feel he was partially forgiven.

Regardless of what appeared a racing incident, Elias rode a brilliant race - a fact emphasised by the former Yamaha rider having caught, passed and then finished nearly 10-seconds ahead of race winning team-mate Melandri. Another strong ride came from Stoner, who clinched sixth by less than a tenth of a second from Kawasaki's front row starter Nakano, while Kenny Roberts Jr put the brand new KR211V an impressive eighth on its race debut by passing former Suzuki team-mate John Hopkins on the very last lap.

Konica Minolta Honda's Makoto Tamada completed the top ten, while Edwards 'recovered' to eleventh - less than two-seconds clear of Chris Vermeulen - with Tech 3 Yamaha's Carlos Checa the last rider to finish in front of Rossi.

The final point went to d'Antin Ducati's Alex Hofmann, while Checa's team-mate James Ellison was the final finisher - Kawasaki rookie de Puniet, who fell heavily in morning warm-up, joining the luckless Gibernau and Jose Luis Cardoso on the DNF list.

Round two of the 2006 MotoGP World Championship will take place at Qatar on April 8 - in which Rossi will hope to both solve his chatter problems and close the current 23-point gap to Capirossi.

:corn
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 02:10 PM

First, as a big Rossi fan, I hate to admit that him crashing out made for a exciting race. Props for him getting back on & collecting some points. Props to Elias for pleading for forgiveness after the race.

Second, Bridgy's V. Mishy's at the front - Ducati's gambit seems to have paid off. Tip my hat to Loris for a great ride.

Third, Pedrosa in front of the Repsol star, gonna get interesting in the Honda paddock - what becomes of Honda's attentions if Nicky comes in behind Danny again.

Fourth, really kewl to see team KR in the top 10, now that he has a real bike! Sad to see Ellison in last now that he has a real bike.

SPEEDTV
did you catch the ZX14 commercial, plays up the speed but filmed at night to down play the looks - the Buell commercial which plays up all the "US patents" but down plays the motor (can't even hear it, sounds like they dubbed in a 600 during one pass)

Last edited by GAMBLER; 03-26-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode