Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Bayliss holds provisional pole at wet Silverstone.

The weather has gone from bad to worse at Silverstone ahead of round five of the Corona Extra Superbike World Championship. The heavy rain during second qualifying meant no one improved their times from Friday so Troy Bayliss holds onto his pole position.

If the rain persists wet Superpole rules will take over and instead of the riders being given three laps they will be given a total of twelve laps in which to set their best times to determine the grid.

Due to his crash in first qualifying and the tricky on track conditions Xerox Ducati's Lorenzo Lanzi won't be going forward to Superpole considering he finished in eighteenth, outside the top sixteen. Also both the Foggy Petronas riders will sit out of Superpole after they both suffered high sides in qualifying leaving them down the order.

James Toseland twisted his knee during his crash in first qualifying however it doesn't appear to be affecting him on the bike.

Tommy Hill will go through to Superpole having qualified in twelfth on his Virgin Mobile Yamaha. This is his first out at World Superbike level and he is very excited about it.

There was only one faller during the wet session and that was PSG-1 Kawasaki's Fonsi Nieto, he walked away unhurt.

WSBK qualifying results (2) Silverstone:

1. Troy Bayliss
2. Troy Corser
3. Fonsi Nieto
4. Noriyuki Haga
5. James Toseland
6. Andrew Pitt
7. Yukio Kagayama
8. Karl Muggeridge
9. Chris Walker
10. Regis Laconi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

27 May 2006 17:09
Rock on Tommy on pole!
Tommy Hill has shown the rest of the world he is a force to be reckoned with after securing a sensational pole position ahead of tomorrow's races in the fifth round of the World Superbike Championship at Silverstone.

On the 11th lap of 12 in wet superpole, Tommy mastered the tricky conditions and was fastest by almost a second. On his final lap, he crashed out uninjured and Team Virgin Mobile Yamaha had an agonising 10 minute wait to see if anyone went quicker.

21 year old Hill caused an upset as a wildcard entry by being the fastest round the Northamptonshire circuit in 1:38.001 two tenths of a second clear of Championship leader Troy Bayliss.

Tommy said: "I am so chuffed to be on pole, it's like a dream come true. I didn't feel any pressure on me coming into the weekend as it was all about showing what we are capable of in a same-make tyre championship. I was confident and focussed on doing my best and when I was riding with the lead riders I realised I had the ability to run the same lap times. Being on pole is a fantastic opportunity for Team Virgin Mobile Yamaha to wave the flag for home grown talent, especially the Virgin Mobile Cup."

Team Manager, Rob McElnea said: "Can somebody pinch me? I cannot believe what just happened. We all knew Tommy was going well but this just shows how much talent and maturity this lad has. For a 21 year old to be on pole in his first ever go at the World stage is incredible. We are all so proud of the way he rode with a cool head and fantastic ability and it just shows that riders from the Virgin Mobile Cup can go all the way."

Young-gun Tommy has shown from the first practice session that he is not afraid to mix it up with older, more established names in the series. Yesterday he was just 0.8 seconds behind leader of the Championship and ex-Moto GP star, Troy Bayliss and ahead of Ruben Xaus.

Lingfield in Surrey based Hill is the only rider from the British Superbike Championship to have a wildcard entry into the Worlds round at Silverstone after the Team chose to run with Pirelli tyres this season.

Tommy will be on pole for the two races in tomorrow at 12:00 and 15:30 for the 28 laps of Silverstone.

1 TOMMY HILL VIRGIN MOBILE YAMAHA 1'38.001
2 Bayliss 1'38.254
3 Walker 1'38.265
4 Haga Yamaha 1'38.456
5 Fabrizio 1'38.899
6 Barros 1'39.082
7 Xaus 1'39.388
8 Muggeridge 1'40.023
9 Laconi 1'40.042
10 Corser 1'40.181
11 Pitt Yamaha 1'40.552
12 Gimbert Yamaha 1'40.574
13 Nieto 1'40.729
14 Toseland 1'41.004
15 Abe Yamaha 1'42.069
16 Kagayama 1'42.262

Remaining grid positions
17 Lanzi 1'28.290
18 Clementi 1'28.492
19 Neukirchner 1'28.492
20 Nakatomi Yamaha 1'28.503
21 Brookes 1'28.561
22 Nannelli 1'28.766
23 Rolfo 1'28.835
24 Jones 1'28.866
25 Foret 1'28.909
26 Iannuzzo 1'28.980
27 Martin 1'29.199
28 Borciani 1'30.533

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06VirginMobile-2 800.jpg (40.8 KB, 2 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode