Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

AMA to "officially" allow traction control

From Cyclenews.com this morning.....

AMA Pro Racing will cease to police traction control in the Superbike class starting with this weekend’s fifth round of the AMA Superbike Championship, a source familiar with the decision said.

The action will be taken for the rest of this season, the source, who asked not to be identified, said. The decision on whether to continue to allow traction control in 2007 and beyond will be based on the outcome of the Superbike commission meeting in Rome early next week.

The immediate affect will be a boost to Parts Unlimited Ducati, which has used a Magneti Marelli traction-control system during tests, but isn’t allowed to race it under the current AMA rules. The advantage in lap times is about a second to a second and a half, it’s believed, depending on the track.

With the benefit of the system, Xerox Ducati’s Troy Bayliss is running away with the World Superbike title and Airwaves Ducatis are one-two in the British Superbike series, which also allows traction control. It’s only in the U.S. that Ducati has struggled this year.

Parts Unlimited Ducati’s Ben Bostrom said that he’d rather see it banned completely, which would allow his dirt-tracking style to flourish. “I really like sliding the bike,” he said. “If everyone else didn’t have it on already, it would be pretty nice. The bikes are sideways, smoking the tire.” But he acknowledged there are places at Road America where it would be beneficial.
“It’s not easy getting on some of the straightaways and it’s definitely not easy coming around that Carousel,” he said. “Coming off turn 14, that last corner, there’s tire wear to be saved.” And he also said that there are a number of AMA tracks, including Barber Motorsports Park, where it would be helpful.

Kawasaki embarked on an entirely new Superbike project this year and the ZX10R is very much a work in progress. Allowing traction control, which means fitting a front-wheel sensor, means more work for the team.

Kawasaki team manager Mike Preston was less concerned with traction control than how it was implemented. “My biggest concern is the AMA,” he said. “Again, their credibility is shot. I was told face to face there’d be no more rules changes, nothing would be happening until we get some new people running the AMA.”

The AMA announced on February 18 that the Pro Racing Board was being abolished and that it would be replaced by “a new rulemaking procedure for its professional-racing programs.” The Pro Racing Board would “be replaced by independent working committees that will propose equipment standards and rules for on-track competition. Proposed rules would then be ratified by the AMA Board of Directors.”

Since those committees have never been announced, and the manufacturers had no say in this rule change, the AMA has chosen to act unilaterally, without regard for the stakeholders. “I was told by people very high above, until we get this under control, no rules changes,” Preston said.
Preston was among the race team members who attended last weekend’s meeting at Infineon Raceway where traction control, among other things, was discussed. No decision was taken, he said, because of the impending Superbike commission meeting in Rome. “Maybe they want to get rid of it,” Preston said. “We don’t really have a rules committee.”

Messages left on the cell phones of the AMA’s Director of Communication Kerry Graeber and Road Race Series Manager Ron Barrick, and on Barrick’s home phone, weren’t returned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

bayliss is using traction control, according to this......hmmmm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:04 AM

Yes he has been using it. Hopefully this well help the other teams get closer to the Yoshi squad in the AMA series so we can see closer racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:05 AM

Good news ... !!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 AM
7c Forever

ya Bayliss' trac control is the main advantage the Duke is holding over the Corona suzuki at the moment, Bayliss is launching off the corners while Corser wiggles and hops.

I dunno if we'll see the game change much once Suzuki wakes up and grabs that magneti marelli system or not. I'd like to hope so, but it's probably to late.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
phil-osepher

whats the big deal? Let them use it! You want "real" riding let's go back to 2 stroke racing.

Also, if you aint cheating you aint trying. Cheating goes on across all levels of racing, it IS a part of the sport and will always be.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:39 PM

OK, it is NOW still illegal in AMA Superbike...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6
OK, it is NOW still illegal in AMA Superbike...
no.

"AMA Pro Racing will cease to police traction control in the Superbike class starting with this weekend’s fifth round of the AMA Superbike Championship, a source familiar with the decision said."

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 04:28 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
whats the big deal? Let them use it! You want "real" riding let's go back to 2 stroke racing.

amen, I'd love to let the trac control take it's coarse, have that be one branch in the racing community, and have the danmed 500's back, sans wheely/traction/braking control that can double as a sex toy for the rider while going up the main straight.

don't get me wrong, the electronics are the future of the sport, and I don't want to stand in the way of technological developement, but I can't be the only one that misses the 500's, the michelin flicks, wicked highsides, Garry McCoy sideways all the way around Phakisa, those wicked powerslide into wheelies while the bike is still pitched over moments that we used to see all the time.

Look at the lap times and there's no doubt that the new bikes are faster, but go back and watch the onboards or any 500 video and tell me they don't "feel" faster.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
RacerX85

Completely agree Junior. We need some crazy bikes again.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:16 PM
I dont inhale

this pretty much conflicts with what your saying

This just in from the AMA. Many thought that this release would say the opposite, it seems.

AMA PRO RACING STATEMENT REGARDING TRACTION CONTROL

PICKERINGTON, Ohio (May 31, 2006) -- The following information is in response to recent media reports regarding the status of traction control rules in AMA Superbike

AMA Pro Racing remains committed to the enforcement of all rules specified in the AMA Superbike Championship Rulebook.

As stated on page 36 of the 2006 rulebook, Telemetry and Traction Control are prohibited (Section E, General Equipment Standards, subsection 23). AMA Pro Racing technical staff will continue to perform routine pre- and post-race technical inspection of selected equipment. Any machine suspected of utilizing prohibited traction control devices is subject to impounding for further technical evaluation at AMA headquarters (Section C, Equipment Offenses and Penalties, subsection 2, page 61.)

AMA Pro Racing also remains committed to the proactive governance of new and emerging technology as it relates to its racing disciplines. The newly formed AMA Racing Standing Committee will evaluate such technology on an ongoing basis and provide strategic counsel to the AMA Board of Directors. Additionally, as part of AMA Pro Racing's new rulesmaking procedures announced in February, all new rules and changes to existing rules will be scrutinized by discipline-specific rulesmaking committees before being forwarded to the AMA Board of Directors for ratification. Any changes to traction control regulations fall under this procedure.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 PM

you beat me to it. Superbikeplanet.com is reporting the AMA will enforce their ban on traction control as the only major superbike series to do so....
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

WOW.

WTF is going on with the AMA????

cyclenews ain't no slouch about reporting the truth....guess the "source" was full of crap.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:09 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6
Yes he has been using it. Hopefully this well help the other teams get closer to the Yoshi squad in the AMA series so we can see closer racing.
Doubtful, now they will have that advantage too. At any rate, it will be fun to find out.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX85
Completely agree Junior. We need some crazy bikes again.
sweet, atleast someone is with me.

I just hate to say that stuff 'cause I'm afraid I'll come off like a nascar fan ripping on F1.

technology is a good thing, but there will always be a place for brutal race machines (like V8 supercars in australia)

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior
s

technology is a good thing, but there will always be a place for brutal race machines (like V8 supercars in australia)
I can aggree with that.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode