Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Misano Italy set to host MotoGP in 2007.

An initial agreement has been reached for a new San Marino Grand Prix, to be held at a substantially modified version of the nearby Misano Adriatico circuit in Italy, from 2007 to 2011.

The provisional agreement for the "Gran Premio di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini" was announced by Carmelo Ezpeleta (CEO of Dorna Sports), Paride Andreoli (minister for tourism and sport in San Marino), Andrea Gnassi (tourism and sport delegate for the Province of Rimini), Mariano Spinarelli (president of Santamonica SpA) and Umberto Trevi (administrative selegate for Santamonica SpA).

"It is an important day for Dorna, because after several meetings, firstly with Minister Andreoli and then with the other parties, we have made the agreement which will allow us to propose to the FIM to insert the Gran Premio di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini on the official 2007 calendar, to take place at the Autodromo Santamonica di Misano," confirmed Ezpeleta. "With this move we have satisfied a strong demand, both on riders' and fans' behalf to have another MotoGP event in Italian territory."

It is not known if Misano, which already hosts a round of the Corona Extra Superbike World Championship (lower pictures), will now replace an existing MotoGP event - although the future of the Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai and even the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang are rumoured to be in doubt. If no event is replaced, then the MotoGP calendar will expand to 18 events next season with the inclusion of Misano.

Meanwhile Trevi revealed that the Misano circuit will be substantially modified for the MotoGP race - to the extent that the 'new' track layout will run in the opposite direction to that currently used.

"Our company is firmly dedicated to bring the most important motorcycle event on the calendar back to the Autodromo di Misano for many years to come," declared Trevi. "Now there will be a great deal of effort needed to develop the event, with the participation of all institutions, who from this moment will need to solve all the issues concerned with the complex and multidimensional needs of MotoGP as regards the territory and its infrastructures.

"Santamonica Spa, thanks to the tireless collaboration from the Misano Adriatico Community, will start works immediately, which in time for the event will give us a 'new' circuit, with the track completely renovated and which will see racing in a clockwise direction, opposite to the current running of it.

"In thanking the Republic of San Marino, the Province of Rimini and Dorna, we must not forget the massive investment and extraordinary organisational processes that our company must undertake with the hope, or certainty that with the presence of a large number of fans from the 2007 event, it will be demonstrated how our land and our circuit are the perfect match between passion and emotion, and which will show the positive aspects of a public-private partnership in the strategic development of our community and the whole country."

The new grand prix will see a long-term economic investment from all three public and private parties involved in the project. Public investment will contribute to the acquisition of the event and to its promotion, whilst the private sector will supply the funds to perform the necessary track improvements and to sustain the massive organisational challenge such an event requires.

"It is a very important day for the Republic of San Marino, because today sees the culmination to a process which began four years ago with the first meetings between the Secretary of State for Tourism and Sport and Dorna," revealed minister for tourism and sport Andreoli. "We are delighted to be joined by two partners, the Province of Rimini and the Autodromo Santamonica, with whom a strong bond and constructive spirit has been formed, crucial to reaching our objective. The challenge begins now however, and that means working closely together to promote the event and at the same time offering a place which we call "The Land of Motorsport". For the Republic of San Marino it's a privilege to join the exclusive circle of countries who boast the three most important motorsports events: Formula 1, MotoGP and Superbike."

"Today is really a very important day. The MotoGP World Championship, along with Formula 1 is the biggest event in world motorsport," added Gnassi, Tourism and Sport delegate for the Province of Rimini. "The Riviera will be in view for the whole world to see. Our objective is to transform this enormous international event into a virtual tourist product linked to the passion of the motorcycling world. Alongside San Marino and the Autodromo Santamonica we have work hard to achieve this objective. Now we have to push hard to promote it and to commercialize it along with many other parties in the territory. Our area, with the sea, the hills and its natural vocation as the land of motorcyclists, is the perfect scenery for an event which will make the Riviera di Rimini one of the main protagonists."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 04:56 AM

awwwwww no Imola? LOL Italy has so many cool racetracks.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwf
awwwwww no Imola? LOL Italy has so many cool racetracks.
and in canada.... we're looking for one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1biker
I wonder if Gilles Villeneuve (the track) would be too dangerous with the wall and all that? I just love that track.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder if Gilles Villeneuve (the track) would be too dangerous with the wall and all that? I just love that track.

Not really to dangerous .. and this year might be that last F1 will see in montreal
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Not really to dangerous .. and this year might be that last F1 will see in montreal

Noooooooooooooooooooo, eh! that's unfair!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Noooooooooooooooooooo, eh! that's unfair!
i know .. i was reading this morinng in the Newspaper
the track is dangerous :r1budha
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
i know .. i was reading this morinng in the Newspaper
the track is dangerous :r1budha
Only if you're prone to crashing into The Wall. sup Massa :
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 11:30 AM
7c Forever

it's a shame, the bikes would top 350kph easy at gilles villeneuve. But not alot that us mere mortals can do I suppose, it IS unsafe, shit mugello is unsafe if you ask me, it almost cost Shinya his life 2 years ago. I just rewatched that race last night, I didn't realize that a couple of Pons' mechanics actually dashed across the track to get the Shinya when they saw him go down, said they thought he was dead forsure.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:19 PM

Nakano's accident would have been dangerous at any track not just Mugello in particular to be honest.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
Thats coo more tracks. I cant wait for Suzuka to return back into the GP series. Once they fix it up it should be back
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
The only track in Canada that is anywhere near FIM regulation would be the MT Trenblant track.

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:18 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitronori
Nakano's accident would have been dangerous at any track not just Mugello in particular to be honest.
ya you're probably right, but having that concrete wall 5' off the side of the track right next to a huge dip in the main straight? not fucking cool man. I bet he was still doing 100kph when he clocked his head off of it.

did you guys see the picture of the helmet that he was wearing when he went down? WOW is all I can say. good on him to wave to the crowd immediatly after.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode