Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Schumacher takes two-seater ride at Mugello!

Seven-times Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher was a surprise guest at the Italian Grand Prix on Sunday - when he also took a high-speed ride on the Ducati Desmosedici two seater.

The Marlboro backed bike was being steered by a slightly nervous (given the value of his guest) Randy Mamola, himself a 13 times 500cc grand prix winner, who conducts all the Ducati two-seater rides alongside his television and rider management commitments.

The two lap outing began with a huge wheelie along the 200mph plus home straight and, unlike when carrying guests new to motorsport, Mamola was able to push hard and give 'Schumi' the full MotoGP experience.

The picturesque Mugello circuit is owned by Schumacher's Formula One employer Ferrari and is also the venue where the German rode a Ducati MotoGP machine unaccompanied last October.

"It was very impressive! Impressive is about the only word I can find at the moment," smiled Michael, a keen street rider and F1's most successful driver. "It was a very special experience, obviously very different to what I'm used to, different even to riding here on the Desmosedici last winter.

"On a bike you feel the speed more, you feel the machine moving around more, which is very different from a car, when you're inside and feel more protected. Plus, when you are riding with someone, you don't know what's going to happen and that makes it very interesting! The fact that I wasn't in control was what made it particularly impressive.

"I patted Randy on the back a couple of times to remind him that I've got the Silverstone F1 GP next week! It was a spectacular experience but now I have ridden a MotoGP bike myself and ridden the two-seater, I think I have done enough, I'm not planning to become a bike racer myself!" he added.

Schumacher joins fellow four-wheel stars Gerhard Berger, Toni Liuzzi and Nelson Piquet Jr in taking a two seater ride on the 990cc V4 powered machine - while a certain Bernie Ecclestone once rode on the earlier 500cc two-stroke Yamaha two seater.

Meanwhile, also taking a high-speed ride around Mugello on Sunday morning was reigning Miss Italy, Edelfa Masciotta.

"Randy was fantastic, he gave me total confidence before the ride," said the 21-year-old from Turin. "By the end of the ride I had no more strength in my arms, because riding was very physically demanding. But the ride was wonderful, I'm still trembling. This was the first time I've ever been on a racetrack and it's an experience I will never forget. The biggest things for me were the speed and the corners."

MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi ruled out a switch to Formula One, with Ferrari, last week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 AM

I was having a blast with all the random Schumi cameos.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 AM

"I patted Randy on the back a couple of times to remind him that I've got the Silverstone F1 GP next week! It was a spectacular experience but now I have ridden a MotoGP bike myself and ridden the two-seater, I think I have done enough, I'm not planning to become a bike racer myself!"

Michael has a good head on those shoulders, unlike some other F1 drivers. God, I hope he takes the title from Alonso.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitronori
"I patted Randy on the back a couple of times to remind him that I've got the Silverstone F1 GP next week! It was a spectacular experience but now I have ridden a MotoGP bike myself and ridden the two-seater, I think I have done enough, I'm not planning to become a bike racer myself!"

Michael has a good head on those shoulders, unlike some other F1 drivers. God, I hope he takes the title from Alonso.....
:imwst

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:59 AM

Schumacher impressed by Ducati two-seater

Schumacher impressed by Ducati two-seater

Having heard that he may have been better wiping at least one wheel from his Ferrari in last weekend's Monaco Grand Prix qualifying, Michael Schumacher went one better and ended up on two wheels during the Mugello MotoGP event.

F1's most successful driver climbed aboard the two-seat Ducati Marlboro Team Desmosedici for two laps behind regular pilot, and former GP winner, Randy Mamola, and was immediately able to compare the experience to the hundreds of laps he has completed around the Tuscan circuit in his Ferrari.

"It was very impressive - that is about the only word I can find at the moment," smiled Schumi, a keen motorcycle rider who has already piloted a Desmosedici at Mugello during 'private testing'.

"It was a very special experience, obviously very different to what I'm used to, and different even to riding here on the Desmosedici last winter. On a bike, you feel the speed more, you feel the machine moving around more, which is very different from a car, where you're inside and feel more protected. Plus, when you are riding with someone, you don't know what's going to happen and that makes it very interesting! The fact that I wasn't in control was what made it particularly impressive. I patted Randy on the back a couple of times to remind him that I've got the Silverstone GP next weekend!"

Unlike Valentino Rossi, however, Schumacher insists that the taste of a competition bike is not likely to lead him to contemplate a switch of codes.

"It was a spectacular experience but, now I have ridden a MotoGP bike myself and ridden the two-seater, I think I have done enough," he grinned, "I'm not planning to become a bike racer!"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:43 AM

OMG I'm so jealous, Schumi gave Randy his F1 helmet (might be a replica).............LOL such a cool gesture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode