Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

SPOILER: Accident Update

Accident update: Melandri, Capirossi and Gibernau.

Hospital checks have revealed that Marco Melandri, Loris Capirossi and Sete Gibernau all managed to escape serous injury during Sunday's frightening turn one accident at the Catalan Grand Prix.

The incident, which stopped the race, began when Gibernau tangled with Ducati Marlboro team-mate Loris Capirossi as they braked for turn one; the Spaniard being sent flying over the handlebars after contact was made with his front brake lever.

That impact then caused world championship leader Capirossi to veer sideways into Melandri - with the two Italians falling and hitting the back of Dani Pedrosa and John Hopkins ahead of them, before a total of six riders and machines tumbled into the gravel trap at high speed

When the dust had cleared Gibernau - initially expected to be most badly hurt after his dramatic cartwheel - was amazingly able to walk away, but both Capirossi and Melandri were lying motionless. Capirossi soon regained consciousness, but there was real concern for Melandri - who was carried off on a stretcher.

Marco was immediately treated by Doctor Costa and the staff at the Clinica Mobile, where he was fortunately diagnosed with a collar bone dislocation, mild concussion and a multitude of minor injuries. The Fortuna Honda rider, a double 2006 race winner, was then airlifted to the General Hospital of Catalunya, where he underwent further treatment and CAT scans.

"I didn't get away from the line well but I made up a few positions and then the crash - I don't remember anything else," said Marco on Sunday evening. "I've got a lot of pain from my shoulder but I am conscious and my memory should improve over time. I want to say thanks to Doctor Costa and all the Clinica Mobile staff who looked after me and stayed by my side."

World championship leader Capirossi and home rider Gibernau were also taken to hospital for more detailed checks - Capirossi by helicopter, Gibernau by ambulance.

Capirossi underwent scans to his chest - to check that he hadn't aggravated internal injuries sustained during last October's Australian GP - and also to his abdomen, which was badly bruised. None of the scans gave any cause for concern, although Capirossi will remain in hospital overnight for observation.

But Gibernau was less lucky: He will need an operation to fix a minor fracture to his left collarbone - during which surgeons will replace a plate inserted after an earlier accident with a larger plate, but will wait 24 hours due to his concussion. Gibernau didn't lose consciousness after the 195kph/121mph accident and was pronounced okay following a brain scan.

Unfortunately, the ambulance taking Gibernau to hospital was involved in a minor accident with a bus just 50 metres from the hospital entrance, though Sete suffered no further injuries in that incident.

"The first corner of any race is always tricky. But the fact that both riders came out of such a big crash without serious injuries is a great testament to the protection offered by the latest riding gear," said Ducati Marlboro team manager Livio Suppo. "Unfortunately, this is the worst moment of the season to sustain an injury, with three races over three weekends and another two over the next three weekends. Maybe Loris will be able to race at Assen but we can't be sure when Sete will be ready."

The Dutch TT at Assen, round eight of the 2006 MotoGP World Championship, takes place next Saturday.

Valentino Rossi went on to win Sunday's Catalan Grand Prix ahead of Nicky Hayden and Kenny Roberts Jr.

---------
Here's to a speedy and full recovery for all the injured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
glad none of them had serious injuries, thx for the updates! just watched the race an hour ago...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Good to hear that they are all fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:41 PM

wow thats horrible for gibernau. They got into a damm crash on the way to the hospital
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

DISASTROUS DAY FOR DUCATI MOTOGP MEN

Ducati MotoGP Team riders Loris Capirossi and Sete Gibernau had a disastrous day at Catalunya today, both men crashing out in a turn-one multiple pile-up. The crash, which claimed a total of five riders, left Capirossi battered and bruised, with Gibernau suffering concussion and a fractured left collarbone. Marco Melandri, the only other victim of the first-corner melee to sustain injury, suffered a concussion and a dislocated shoulder.

Capirossi was taken by helicopter to Catalunya General Hospital, attended by the Clinica Mobile's Dr Mattioli Ruggero. He underwent scans to his chest, to check that the crash hadn't aggravated the injuries he sustained in a crash during last October's Australian GP, and also to his abdomen, because he was struck in that area during today's accident. The Italian then underwent further scans to the left of his chest which had become swollen. None of the scans gave any cause for concern and although Capirossi will remain in hospital overnight for observation, he could be fit for next weekend's Dutch TT at Assen. He sustained no broken bones in the fall.

Gibernau was less lucky. He will need an operation to fix the minor fracture to his left collarbone. Surgeons will replace a plate inserted after an earlier accident with a larger plate, but they will wait 24 hours before the operation, due to his concussion. Gibernau never lost consciousness after the 195kph/121mph accident and was pronounced okay following a brain scan at Barcelona's Dexeus hospital. Unfortunately, the ambulance taking Gibernau to hospital was involved in a minor accident with a bus just 50 metres from the hospital entrance, though he suffered no further injuries in that incident. It is too soon to say when he will be able to race again.

Livio Suppo (Ducati MotoGP Project leader)
"The first corner of any race is always tricky. But the fact that both riders came out of such a big crash without serious injuries is a great testament to the protection offered by the latest riding gear. Unfortunately, this is the worst moment of the season to sustain an injury, with three races over three weekends and another two over the next three weekends. Maybe Loris will be able to race at Assen but we can't be sure when Sete will be ready.

"We were unlucky to lose both our riders in the accident. Looking at the lap times, we could have scored some good points today. Our congratulations to Bridgestone who had a much better weekend here than they had here last year, with a fourth-place finish, only 13,4 behind the winner. That proves once again how much they have improved at what was a difficult track for them. Although today was a bad day for us, this fact certainly boosts the team's mood for the remainder of the season."

Source: Ducati Racing.

Last edited by ffwf; 06-18-2006 at 03:08 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

A RACE TO FORGET

Melandri involved in first corner incident and Toni Elias crashes out of seventh place

The 2006 Grand Prix of Catalunya will be forever remembered for the first corner incident that involved no fewer than seven riders but it is a race both Marco Melandri and Toni Elias would sooner forget. The Fortuna Honda pair were both involved in the dramatic melee, Marco Melandri the most seriously effected as he spectacularly crashed, Toni Elias simply running wide.

Melandri was taken to hospital with numerous injuries after Sete Gibernau collided with Loris Capirossi and sent all three tumbling, as well as Pedrosa, Hopkins and De Puniet.

Marco was immediately treated by Doctor Costa and the staff at the Clinica Mobile, where he was diagnosed with a dislocation of the acromion-clavicular and mild concussion. The Italian was airlifted to the General Hospital of Catalunya, where he underwent further treatment and CAT scans.

MARCO MELANDRI (crash): ďI didnít get away from the line well but I made up a few positions and then the crash Ė I donít remember anything else. Iíve got a lot of pain coming from my shoulder but I am concious and my memory should improve over time. I want to say thanks to Doctor Costa and all the Clinica Mobile staff who looked after me and stayed by my side.Ē

TONI ELIAS (crash): ďIt was a race to forget. Iím sorry for Marco and I wish him a speedy recovery. I got a good start and tried to stay with the lead group, riding around the traction problems and just giving it my all. I had a good pace but I just lost the front and went down. It was a real shame and Iím disappointed because I was riding well and could have got a good result.Ē

MOTOGP RACE
1. V.Rossi (Ita/Yamaha)
2 N.Hayden (Usa/Honda)
3. K.Roberts jr (USA/Honda KR)
Ö
Source: Gresini Racing
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

STONER UNHURT AFTER CATALUNYA CRASH

With an impressive burst of speed Honda LCR rider Casey Stoner led the opening eight laps before making an sudden exit from todayís crash-marred Catalunya Grand Prix.

Stoner was unhurt when he lost the front-end on lap 9 of the 25 lap race which had been restarted after an six rider pile-up at turn one. With lightning-fast starts from eighth on the grid, Stoner led both editions of the race, the first for just one lap when the red flag came out.

From the restart Stoner again made a fast getaway and led into turn one, running a smooth and comfortable pace ahead of the chasing pack including Nicky Hayden, John Hopkins and Valentino Rossi. Stonerís pace was a repeat of his fast and consistent form in practice and he looked set to challenge for a podium place.

Stoner joined the list of retirements on lap nine while running a close second to world champion Rossi, who went on to win the race. Stoner remains on 65 points in sixth place in the world championship.
Casey:

: ďIím not happy, not just because I made a mistake but because of everything that happened today. Iím feeling for all the guys who crashed and it wasnít a good situation during the stoppage, I saw all the incidents on replay. I made a very good start and I was doing it easy, even though the track was a bit slick today. When Valentino came past I was happy to do my own pace and wait for the race to unfold, I was feeling comfortable. Ē
Lucio:

ďFirstly, the most important thing is that Casey is OK and also that all the other riders who crashed are not seriously injured. Casey made two wonderful starts today and did an extraordinary job to lead the race until he crashed -- this can happen in racing. The track grip was down a little today and perhaps this was a factor because Dani Pedrosa and Toni Elias also lost the front-end like Casey.Ē

Source: Honda LCR MotoGP Team
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 07:05 PM

So if Capirossi is out for Assen as well, any ideas on who the subs will be? Wonder if Biaggi would ever be considered?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 PM
7c Forever

Possible Max. I dunno there's alot of great names out there, I say bring McCoy out on it!

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 AM

Thanks for all the updates.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 12:41 PM

From a press release issued by Ducati Marlboro Team:

Gibernau To Miss MotoGP Race At Assen While Recovering From Collarbone Operation

The latest updates on the condition of Loris Capirossi and Sete Gibernau following yesterday's horrific first corner crash at the Circuit de Catalunya have brought a sigh of relief to the MotoGP world. Luckily the consequences are not as serious as first thought, but they will have a partial effect on the Ducati Marlboro Team's participation in the Dutch TT race on Saturday.

Capirossi will take part in the next round of the MotoGP World Championship, while Gibernau will still be recovering following an operation to his collarbone.

Loris left Catalunya General Hospital in Barcelona today after remaining overnight for observation and has returned to Monte Carlo. Medical checks confirmed that the Italian rider can take part in the next round of the championship.

Sete Gibernau's condition is more complicated. The Spanish rider today underwent a further brain scan to rule out any possible complications for the operation to fix the minor fracture to his left collarbone, scheduled for late tomorrow morning.

Surgeons will replace a plate inserted following an earlier accident with a larger plate. Only after this operation will it be possible to confirm when Gibernau can race again, but he will certainly miss the next round in the Netherlands
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 12:54 PM
7c Forever

hmm, no word on who the replacement is.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:18 PM

from SBP

Quote:
Dr. Costa Updates Condition of GP Riders
melandri still in hospital
by staff
Monday, June 19, 2006

GP Doctor Claudio Costa has posted this update on the Clinica Mobile web site regarding the conditon of the riders injured in yesterday's MotoGP crash .

This morning, Loris Capirossi left the Catalunya General Hospital with a smile on his lips, despite still suffering pains to his chest and abdomen and with bruises all over his body after the battle that he had to fight the day before, at the MotoGP race start.

That smile symbolically lights up the road that goes from Barcelona to Assen: on the Dutch circuit surround by green fields, Capirossi will ride his Desmosedici again in just a few days, and will once again be chasing his dreams.

Marco Melandri is still hospitalised in the same clinic, in a room in the Intensive Care department. The early diagnosis of head injury was fortunately modified to concussion after the hospital scans: concussion means no damage to the brain, just amnesia.

Marco could not remember anything after the accident. His memory is coming back now, although he can only remember what happened until just before the start of that fateful race. His left clavicle dislocation is less serious than we had first thought; his arm muscular stretching is luckily only mild. Marco is still suffering a lot of pain in his neck region, after rebelling against the threat of paralysis. The rider is well treated by the Spanish doctors, gathered around his bed like priests around the altar where Marco is celebrating his own resurrection.

Yesterday, the gods that had allowed a terrible accident to happen had also foreseen that the 3 riders would be able to use the resources hidden in the hearts of all human beings. Perhaps, the gods are not entirely malevolent. And they always spare a look from above for motorcyclists, who love to play chess against risk, danger and death, and during this troubling game, even manage to smile to the lady in black.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:30 PM
7c Forever

damn, sounds like Marco is pretty f*cked up.

Costa is such a bloody italian, poetry for everything. Atleast he's decent I guess.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:14 PM

a quote from Alex Hoffmann's bulletin he posted on myspace today :

Quote:

Eat this my friends - still can't believe it :-)))))))))))))))))))))))

For the eighth round of the 2006 MotoGP World Championship that in Assen, Holland, this weekend, ALEX HOFMANN, PRAMAC DANTIN MOTOGP rider, will replace SETE GIBERNAU on the Official DUCATI. The Spanish rider injured himself during the frightening accident of last Sunday in Spain and his return will depend on how fast his recover will be. As a replacement for ALEX HOFMANN, there will be the Spanish IVAN SILVA, already racing for the Team of LUIS DANTIN in the EXTREME category of the Spanish Championship, that also did a race of the 2006 World Championship in the Superstock 1000 class.
A big opportunity for ALEX HOFMANN, that will have a great occasion to race with the Official DUCATI (BRIDGESTONE tyres), but also for IVAN SILVA that will ride on the DUCATI DESMOSEDICI GP06 Sat. for the first time in the World Championship, assisted by the technical staff of the Team PRAMAC DANTIN MOTOGP.
ALEX HOFMANN: "Im excited and so happy! Having the possibility to race on the Official DUCATI DESOMOSEDICI is an unbelievable opportunity and I will give my 100% to take advantage of it the most I can. I know this motorcycle well, I also know the evolution level of the BRIDGESTONE tyres that I developed until the Valencia GP of the 2005 Championship, with which I had a good feeling that I hope to get back from the first laps I will make in Assen. Im very motivated and I want to make something good. In our world, these kind of agreement doesnt happen very often and I want to thank everybody: DUCATI, PRAMAC, LUIS DANTIN and PAOLO CAMPINOTI, for thier confidence, that I hope to reciprocate giving the maximum. I also have a special thought for SETE GIBERNAU to whom I wish to get well at the soonest and in the best way possible ".

Seeya in Assen - yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode