Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is it a world class circuit?

I'm talking about the new Miller Motorsports track in Utah. It looks like a good circuit. It has a good layout and plenty of run off areas. I did notice most of the run offs were just dirt though. They did not look like the large beds of rock you see on European circuits. Which would obviously limit the possibilities of it being used for anything more than US race series based events. I'd like to see the US get more tracks that are true world class circuits that can draw a variety of events of all types. Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
As the bikes get faster, safety has to be improved. The Miller Park & Laguna Seca are right now the best places in my book to hold world class events. Designers in the US & Canada should look at European tracks to copy safety measures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:53 PM
7c Forever

Amen Biga.

But one thing they SHOULDN'T look to Europe for is idea's on how to make the actual track, there's a lot of boring euro tracks out there. Most of the good Euro tracks are the ancient ones, not the new cookie cutter computer designed ones.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Resident Redneck

Ya, agreed. That why I said nothing about track design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior
Amen Biga.

But one thing they SHOULDN'T look to Europe for is idea's on how to make the actual track, there's a lot of boring euro tracks out there. Most of the good Euro tracks are the ancient ones, not the new cookie cutter computer designed ones.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:55 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga
Ya, agreed. That why I said nothing about track design.
yea, and honestly, I'm not super super impressed with millers layout. I dunno they're starting to all kinda be similar. At least it's got some sweet elevation change tho.

I'd like to see something like Assen with crowned track, that'd be awesome. and frankly, I'd rather see that then downhill braking sections, which are becoming super common. a sweet uphill chicane would be nice too. (a la Estoril.)

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I dont inhale

nascar needs ti die

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:13 PM
7c Forever

I dunno if nascar will ever die, it's USA's token "we're different" sport, and even if it did, odds are it'd be replaced with F1 not bike racing, or possibly V8 supercar like in oz.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:01 PM
FAsT BOYS

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Jun/060621-66.htm

this is according to mladin. those of us from here worked the ama races and heard nothing but positive statements from everyone from racers to other support team members. come out and ride this track. i have ridden at other horseshit bumpy pot holed tracks and this is way better than any of them. this track can be run in 4 different configurations. the east is more technical, the west more high speed flow the full which is everything and the perimeter that the ama guys raced on which totally misses out on some of the funnest and most challenging parts of the track. we were told it was to ease the filming of the races.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:19 PM
I dont inhale

no nascar wont die but it is a huge reason why we have very few road coarses in the US

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Resident Redneck

This is definitely true, just look what happened w/F1 in the US last year, Michelin had to tell their teams that the tires wont last through so many left hand turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut
no nascar wont die but it is a huge reason why we have very few road courses in the US

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 06:43 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga
This is definitely true, just look what happened w/F1 in the US last year, Michelin had to tell their teams that the tires wont last through so many left hand turns.
LOL that's an awesome synopsis!

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
I'm talking about the new Miller Motorsports track in Utah. It looks like a good circuit. It has a good layout and plenty of run off areas. I did notice most of the run offs were just dirt though. They did not look like the large beds of rock you see on European circuits. Which would obviously limit the possibilities of it being used for anything more than US race series based events. I'd like to see the US get more tracks that are true world class circuits that can draw a variety of events of all types. Thoughts?
THe run offs look like just dirt but they are about 2ft of pea gravel. There is dirt but it transitions to gravel. CHris Ulrich blew up his motor and rode through the dirt and went from about 80-0 in about half a second the gravel is so deep, he just stepped off his bike and it stood there. My dad and I had to pretty much lift it out of the gravel.

But looking at the Euro tracks they have a ton more run out some of the corners probably wouldn't have enough. I just wish they'd plant some grass or something so its not deserty looking in the infeild.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE
THe run offs look like just dirt but they are about 2ft of pea gravel. There is dirt but it transitions to gravel. CHris Ulrich blew up his motor and rode through the dirt and went from about 80-0 in about half a second the gravel is so deep, he just stepped off his bike and it stood there. My dad and I had to pretty much lift it out of the gravel.

But looking at the Euro tracks they have a ton more run out some of the corners probably wouldn't have enough. I just wish they'd plant some grass or something so its not deserty looking in the infeild.
Cool, Thanks for that. Well the next questions is....Is there a chance of getting WSBK or MOTOGP to th track? I personally think it would be nice to see a race on US soil that was at a different venue. I have never been a real Laguna fan.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 04:00 PM

Why not have both venues. Laguna and mmp !!!!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 PM
FAsT BOYS

at the races they said they are already trying to get them here
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 09:11 PM

GOD THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!! I'll be out there working on life support if I was sick during motogp!

I do think that motogp is a long shot though.. I think the track itself could handle the race but the facility as AWESOME as it is Its hardly in the same league as those European tracks. and getting to the track is a single lane road for almost 10 miles I think. On top of that SLC is a little out of the way for most people. I think they'd have a hard time getting "acceptable" numbers of people there.

On top of that the locals that live by the track already think they sky is goign to turn black becuase of sunday racing. Kent you can elaborate on that.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 10:09 PM
FAsT BOYS

haha there was some mormon religious nut who said by racing on sundays it would no longer rain and the sun would no longer shine. dumbfuck, he should kill himself
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snair
haha there was some mormon religious nut who said by racing on sundays it would no longer rain and the sun would no longer shine. dumbfuck, he should kill himself
Tell us how you really feel!!! I still can't tell!!!

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 12:16 PM
FAsT BOYS

i always do
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
7c Forever

I don't see why they couldn't make it a saturday race if they felt that it was an issue, there's a couple of those on the calender already.

Frankly I think that it'd be a decent sacrifice, to be able to race at one of Millers tracks. Still I think it's kinda stupid to do it to accomodate a couple of religious looneys, but whatever, I'd deal.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode