Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Montoya to make shock NASCAR move!!!!

Montoya to make shock NASCAR move.

Juan Pablo Montoya is to sensationally turn his back on Formula One after accepting a deal to return to American motorsport with Chip Ganassi Racing and their NASCAR team.

According to Associated Press, Chip Ganassi confirmed today that Montoya will drive in the NASCAR Nextel Cup, replacing Casey Mears in the #42 Dodge next year in a move that brings Montoya's six-year F1 career to an end.

Montoya's switch comes after his lacklustre stint at McLaren-Mercedes threatened to leave him out on the Formula One sidelines at the end of the year.

The Colombian is due to make his debut in the Busch Series later in the year as a guest driver until his McLaren contract runs out. He will then make the full-time switch in 2007, back to the team in which he had considerable open-wheel success with prior to his 2001 Formula One move.
----------
Holy shit! well I guess he's used to cars falling appart, and I'm sure his temperament will be welcomed plus his driving style is more on par with bumper cars/NASCAR come to think of it. :

I hope he'll be successful and have fun.

Last edited by ffwf; 07-09-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

I'll bet the red necks are in an uproar now!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Montoya 'so happy' with NASCAR move.

02.07.2006 Indianapolis, USA, Juan-Pablo Montoya (COL), Juan Pablo, McLaren Mercedes - Formula 1 World Championship, Rd 10, United States Grand Prix, Sunday Race
Jamie McMurray, Chip Ganassi Racing Dodge, Dover 2004
Juan Montoya - winner Indy 500
Juan Pablo Montoya says that he cannot wait to get behind the wheel of a NASCAR for the first time in anger after confirming that he was becoming the first driver in the modern era to jump directly from F1 into the NASCAR Cup Series.

The 30-year old Columbian born driver, who has amassed seven Grand Prix victories for Williams and McLaren since joining the F1 circus at the start of the 2001 season, will get his first taste of competitive NASCAR action later this year in the secondary Busch Series, possibly as early as the Sam's Town 250 at the Memphis Motorsports Park in late October, which takes place one week after the F1 season finale in Brazil.

"I am so happy to be entering the fastest growing racing league in the world," said Montoya, who is unlikely to make any NASCAR appearances while he is still racing for McLaren. "I've thought about this for quite some time but the opportunity had to be right. I've known and worked with Chip for a number of years and this situation could not be better for me. I have a lot of confidence in my ability as a racecar driver and in Chip and Felix as owners. I know the transition will not be easy but I can't wait to get behind the wheel."

Although he will be a stock car virgin, save for a couple of demonstration laps in Jeff Gordon's #24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet at Indianapolis a couple of years ago, Montoya is no stranger to the precise art of oval racing, having won a pair of CART/Champ Car titles for Chip Ganassi Racing in 1999 and 2000 during a whirlwind two-year romance with the US racing scene that also included an Indianapolis 500 triumph in 2000.

"We are thrilled to be getting a driver of this calibre to put into the #42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge," said Chip Ganassi, for whom Montoya won eleven races during his first stint with the team. "Juan Pablo is one of the best race car drivers in the world. He is a former CART Champion, Indy 500 winner and Formula 1 driver that will bring a much needed veteran presence to our team."

In addition to tackling the full 36-race Nextel Cup schedule in the #42 Dodge currently piloted by Casey Mears, Raybestos Rookie of the Year candidate Montoya will also tackle an assortment of Busch Series races as he bids to join a very select group of drivers to have won in F1, NASCAR and CART/Champ Car.

Montoya to leave F1 for NASCAR

09 July 2006

Juan Pablo Montoya is to leave Formula One at the end of this season for a drive in the American NASCAR series with Chip Ganassi Racing. Ganassi announced that Montoya has signed a multi-year deal with his team.

Montoya's future in F1 has been the focus of much speculation over the past few months and when it appeared that McLaren had not taken up its option on his services, the Colombian looked set to return to the US.

Announcing the move on Sunday Ganassi said, "We are thrilled to be getting a driver of this caliber. Juan Pablo is one of the best race car drivers in the world. He is a former CART Champion, Indy 500 winner and Formula 1 driver that will bring a much needed veteran presence to our team."

Montoya will become the first regular F1 driver to move directly to the Nextel Cup when he contests his first race next year. The Colombian and Chip Ganassi are no strangers. Montoya drove for Ganassi's open-wheel team during the 1999 and 2000 CART seasons. Following his two years with Ganassi, Montoya made the jump to
Formula 1.

Until now Montoya has started 94 F1 Grand Prix, winning seven and finishing on the podium 30 times.

Last edited by ffwf; 07-09-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:47 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Damn FFWF you beat me to it! I just heard the news while watching the NASCAR race.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:50 PM
The real Blue ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
I'll bet the red necks are in an uproar now!!!!!
I say "F"" the rednecks! To grow as a sport they have to welcome diversity. Toyota is gonna be racing in the series next year. I can't wait!

Quote:
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Ltony
I say "F"" the rednecks! To grow as a sport they have to welcome diversity. Toyota is gonna be racing in the series next year. I can't wait!
its funny that you say that, one of my old co-workers was a die hard NASCAR fan until he heard Toyota was coming in...he got so pissed and refused to watch any more cause a "foreign" car company is racing now

he is a kewl guy but a little strange
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
and Jeff Gordon wins
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 01:52 AM

Hope Montoya kick ass, thanks ffwf.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 03:32 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRR
Hope Montoya kick ass, thanks ffwf.

werd. Montoya, Toyota coming in? shit I might actually watch a race, if I can force myself to sit down infront of that many left turns.

maybe if I'm plastered it'll work.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 06:12 AM
phil-osepher

had to be for the money, but isnt it always? hope he does well... I might actually watch the highlights on the nascar (Speed) channel

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:06 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
had to be for the money, but isnt it always? hope he does well... I might actually watch the highlights on the nascar (Speed) channel
highlights! that's brilliant, then I don't have to sit thru the damned race!

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 AM

yup... better be for the money... its like going to the NFL - be a probowler and next year going to AFL... WTF???
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 PM
RacerX85

He's gonna get punished out there. LOL Should make it interesting though!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Gang Green

It was probably part $, part pride.
I think no one wanted him next year, and he couldn't bring himself to drive for Super Aguri or midland, so he jumped to Nascar.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 04:47 PM
The real Blue ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldscholVett&R1
its funny that you say that, one of my old co-workers was a die hard NASCAR fan until he heard Toyota was coming in...he got so pissed and refused to watch any more cause a "foreign" car company is racing now

he is a kewl guy but a little strange
The reason Toyota can race in NASCAR is because the cars are manufactured here in the US. They may have a foriegn name, but the parts are all American, assembled BY Americans.

Quote:
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
Quote:
The reason Toyota can race in NASCAR is because the cars are manufactured here in the US. They may have a foriegn name, but the parts are all American, assembled BY Americans.
pssh if it moves fast it dont matter to me. The only thing you will be seeing is my rear bumper dissapearing. :
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 01:00 AM

Quote:
i know i tired to explain that but he doesn't want to hear any of it
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:26 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldscholVett&R1
i know i tired to explain that but he doesn't want to hear any of it
then he's an ignorant fucking redneck.

like most nascar fans.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 07:27 AM
The real Blue ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior
then he's an ignorant fucking redneck.

like most nascar fans.
That's pretty ignorant of you to say too.

I'm an Ignorant W.O.P.

Quote:
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:35 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
That's pretty ignorant of you to say too.

LOL ya, I figured someone would bring that up, didn't figure it'd be that fast tho.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode