Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

F1: Jacques Villeneuve to miss Hungarian GP - Kubica steps in

Villeneuve to miss Hungarian GP
01 August 2006

Jacques Villeneuve will miss the Hungarian Grand Prix this weekend as he is still recovering from his crash in the German Grand Prix on Sunday. The 1997 champion will be replaced this weekend by team test driver Robert Kubica, who makes his Grand Prix debut.

"Jacques has informed us that he is not ready to race after his Hockenheim accident," team boss Mario Theissen confirmed late on Tuesday. "Robert has made an outstanding impression with the team so far, both in testing and on the Friday of the race weekends. Now we will see how he performs in a Formula One race. However, we have not yet made a decision on who will drive the car either in the remaining races of the season or next year."

Kubica braced for Grand Prix debut
01 August 2006

21-year-old Robert Kubica will be thrown into the deep end this weekend when he deputises for the injured Jacques Villeneuve at the Hungarian Grand Prix. Villeneuve is to sit out the race weekend after his heavy crash at Hockenheim on Sunday.

"I had prepared myself for a whole year without actually competing in any races, so I'm even happier to get this opportunity," Kubica said. "And I'm proud that the BMW Sauber F1 Team has such confidence in me. I'm determined not to let them down."

Kubica has been the team's third driver on Fridays and has been testing extensively between races. He will be the first ever Pole to race in F1.

Official: Kubica to sub for JV in Hungary
BMW Sauber have announced that third driver, Robert Kubica will compete alongside Nick Heidfeld at the Hungarian Grand Prix this weekend.

Jacques Villeneuve has apparently been forced to sit out the event, following his crash at the German GP on Sunday.

Interestingly though, while BMW Sauber team boss, Mario Theissen was quick to point out that the reason for JV's absence was his off in Germany, he added that no decision has yet been taken on who will drive the #17 car during the remainder of the season - or in 2007.

"Jacques has informed us that he is not ready to race after his Hockenheim accident," Theissen explained. "Robert has made an outstanding impression with the team so far, both in testing and on the Friday of the race weekends. Now we will see how he performs in a Formula One race. However, we have not yet made a decision on who will drive the car either in the remaining races of the season or next year."

21-year-old Kubica, who will be the first ever Pole to compete in F1, is looking forward to the new challenge, after driving the 'third' car in Friday practice at all the grand's prix to date this year.

"I had prepared myself for a whole year without actually competing in any races, so I'm even happier to get this opportunity. And I'm proud that the BMW Sauber F1 team has such confidence in me. I'm determined not to let them down," he vowed.

Whether or not the Swiss-based team will now use a third car in Friday practice at the Hungarian GP has still to be confirmed - it will no doubt depend on if they can find a suitable driver to fill the void.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I feel bad for JV, but I'm exstatic that Kubica gets a chance, he's been so impressive all season long. Now he has the chance to beat Alonso (and his eyebrows) in FP3, Quali and the race too. :

I hope he gets in the points and really shows those in charge that he without question deserves a permanent race seat.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Kubica replaces Villeneuve

The BMW Sauber F1 Team has announced that Robert Kubica will replace Jacques Villeneuve at the Hungarian Grand Prix. The team issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon saying that after his accident at the German Grand Prix, Villeneuve "has informed us that he is not ready to race" in Hungary. There was no sign that Villeneuve was injured after his crash in Germany. What is interesting in that in his Hungarian GP preview on his website Jacques warned his fans not to expect much.

"I'm not sure how competitive we will be. This is the one track we have got left to go to this season that is a bit of a worry for me," he said. "It is always a very physical and long race, and it is exhausting."

Jacques also feels the Hungarian Grand Prix is one of the boring races on the calendar.

"They have not made much of a change to the circuit and it has not made it any more interesting to drive," he concluded.

There is obviously something going on in Munich as BMW boss Mario Theissen says that "we have not made a decision on who will drive the car either in the remaining races of the season or next year."

The 21-year-old Kubica will become the first pole to race in the Formula 1 World Championship.

"I had prepared myself for a whole year without actually competing in any races, so I?m even happier to get this opportunity," he said. "And I?m proud that the BMW Sauber F1 Team has such confidence in me. I?m determined not to let them down."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Dirt Rider :)

Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KUBICA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode