Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Rossi On the Comeback Trail

Camel Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi arrives in Malaysia in an unfamiliar position. The winner of five premier class championships in a row no longer controls the class. Repsol Honda’s Nicky Hayden is the leader, with 25 points on teammate Dani Pedrosa. Rossi is third, 13 points behind Pedrosa and 38 down on Hayden with five races to run.

“Now we have three races in a row and they’re very important, I think the championship can be decided in these weeks,” Rossi said on the even of the start of the Malaysian GP weekend. “It’s great fun because there are five riders within fifty points and they all have a chance to win. They’ve all won some races this year also so everyone is really competitive. Overall this has been a more equal season, but of course I am sad for the 30 points that I have lost when I couldn’t finish.”

The most recent of those points were lost at the Red Bull U.S. GP when his Yamaha M-1 expired. Hayden took advantage by winning, with Pedrosa a surprise second.

Then the came the summer break, followed by the Czech GP in Brno. Rossi came a distant second to Marlboro Ducati’s Loris Capirossi in Brno. But in a Monday test Rossi may have found a solution to the vibration problems that have plagued both him and teammate Colin Edwards.

“After Brno I was very happy, especially with the test,” he said. “I was only sad that we lost so much in Laguna Seca. We knew that we had to solve a lot of problems in Brno and we managed to do that. We were always in front from the start of the weekend and, even if we couldn’t win, we were very happy. We continued with the work through the test on Monday and Tuesday and we managed to understand a lot more about the marriage of our bike with the new Michelin tyres. Now the way is much more clear so we’re happy about that. We tested a lot of new tires also and made some good results.”

The first of the three flyaways is in Malaysia, a track where Capirossi beat Rossi during a brief surge in the fortunes of Bridgestone tires. Bridgestone appeared to make a great leap at Brno and will look to continue on that path in Malaysia.

“I love this track but we need to see how Bridgestone is; last year they were very fast,” Rossi said. “However, my principal rivals are both Honda and they’re both on Michelin, so we’re in the same boat. Anyway, I think this race will be decided in the last two laps. Last year my tires went off a bit at the end and Loris (Capirossi) got away, but I hope not this time.”

Those rivals are Hayden and Pedrosa. Rossi has always had a good relationship with Hayden, dating back to when they were teammates during Hayden’s first year in MotoGP. Pedrosa seems to have bothered him with some comments made after Brno.

“Hayden is in front and he is very strong, he’s taken points consistently and hasn’t made many mistakes. However he will be trying to win some more races now, this is what he needs because he has only won two. I think it’s a hard situation for him also.

“I didn’t know what (Dani) Pedrosa said after Brno, but I don’t agree. This is MotoGP, I don’t know what it’s like in 250 but this is our racing. At the moment Pedrosa can’t overtake because he always arrives a bit late, so the danger is him, not me! Dani (Pedrosa) always said that he doesn’t fight for the championship and this way there is no pressure for him. But this isn’t a big problem – even if I don’t win this year then I’ve already won five in a row so there’s no pressure for me either!”

For Rossi to get back into the championship chase, he has to take points off both riders, which means winning.

“Now of course I would like to win all five races but it’s going to be very hard. I am feeling confident for this weekend. I think the bike is in a good way after Brno and we’re ready. Of course it’s much hotter here and so we’re not completely sure about the tires, but we will see.”

Rossi also commented on speculation that World Champion Michael Schumacher would announce his retirement this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix at Monza, Italy.

“I am very sad to hear that Schumacher will be retiring, because he’s still at the top,” Rossi said. “However, I also think it’s a great way to finish, still winning races, without spending some years going downhill. I really hope he can win this year and I will really be cheering for him. It will be hard but it’s not impossible. I think it’s good to see that 37 years is not too old in motor racing! Now when I look at (Loris) Capirossi I am very happy because he is five years older than me and he is still winning races! I hope I have some more years and then I would like to stop at the top, like Schumacher.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
I was just reading that somewhere else...going to be a great race to the end

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 AM

Anyone have the quote or interview of what dani said. Seems like it steamed Rossi a bit. :corn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Dani said, “We’ve already tested at Sepang. I’ve done many laps and this will give us a better starting point for the weekend. I think Capirossi will be very strong here – it was a good track for him last year – and also Hayden, Rossi and Melandri will be up there too. The heat and humidity at Sepang are really high and this is something you have to take into account. It’s not really a problem though, because you expect it and can prepare for it.”

This is all I could find

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinktoo View Post
Anyone have the quote or interview of what dani said. Seems like it steamed Rossi a bit. :corn

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 03:47 PM

What he should have said was

Quote:
Dani Pedrosa said:

I really hated it that Valentino made me his bitch at the last race. I was trying to stick my nose up the inside of him and he just kind of looked at me and slammed the door in my face...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode