Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
MotoGP QP

Camel Yamaha's Valentino Rossi will start tomorrow's Malaysian Grand Prix from pole position after torrential rains caused the cancellation of today's final qualifying session at the Sepang Circuit.

The rains came in the middle of the 250cc practice session and it led to a delay and eventual cancellation of the final qualifying session. Race direction than opted to grid the riders for the Grand Prix based on their lap times from the earlier practice session.

That puts Repsol Honda's Nicky Hayden and Marlboro Ducati's Loris Capirossi next to Rossi on the front row for the race, with Team Roberts' Kenny Roberts Jr., the injured Dani Pedrosa and Marlboro Ducati's Sete Gibernau on row two. Kawasaki's Randy DePuniet, Rizla Suzuki's John Hopkins, Fortuna Honda's Marco Melandri and LCR Honda's Casey Stoner rounded out the top 10 qualifiers.

The following is the release issued by race director Paul Butler:

"After inspections at various locations around the circuit, race direction has decided to cancel both the MotoGP Qualifying Practice and the 250cc second qualfiying practice due to safety reasons created by the earlier rainstorms. The grid for MotoGP will be formed by the riders' fastest lap times from the three free practice sessions. The grid for 250cc will be formed according to the first qualifying practice, and all those riders who did not provisionally qualify for the race will be allowed to start."

:corn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 482768.jpg (50.1 KB, 12 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Biga; 09-09-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 04:19 AM

Using FP3 times as quali times is bullshit.

Talk about being served.

I hope protests will come flying left and right.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:
The use of free practice times to decide grid positions for Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang, after the cancellation of qualifying due to standing water, appears to directly contradict the FIM road racing rule book...

Rule number 1.15.4 of the Sporting Regulations, under the heading of 'Free Practice', simply states: "Free practice will not be timed for the purpose of qualification or grid positions."

Nevertheless, that is exactly what has happened at Sepang with the combined free practice times being used to set grid positions.

The main beneficiary of the decision is second in the championship Dani Pedrosa, who will start fifth on the grid using the combined free practice times, despite injuring his leg on Friday afternoon and being left 19th and last in Saturday morning's third and final free practice session.

Quote:
Vermeulen, Suzuki question qualifying cancellation

Vermeulen, Tom O Kane, Czech MotoGP 2006
Rain, Sepang MotoGP Test 28 - 30 November 2005
Hopkins wheelies, Malaysian MotoGP, 2006
Chris Vermeulen and Rizla Suzuki team manager Paul Denning were left with unanswered questions after the decision to abandon Saturday's qualifying session at Sepang, then use free practice lap times to decide grid positions for the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Qualifying was delayed for two hours by heavy rain, and then cancelled - even though the rain had stopped and dry patches were appearing - because the amount of standing water on parts of the track was deemed too dangerous.

However Vermeulen, who will now start just 16th on the grid, wants to know why no riders personally examined the track before the decision was made.

"We weren't really trying to do the fast laps and I didn't use a qualifier like some of the riders did this morning because it wasn't a qualifying session! So because of that I am a long way back on the grid," began the young Australian, who took a wet pole position in Turkey. "But what surprises me is that maybe the track is not in the best condition at the moment, but what if it rains tomorrow? I'm sure Valentino and others won't be pushing for the race to be stopped. I'm not saying he had any involvement today but nobody even went out to see what it was like. Safety does come first but no rider went out there, not even in a safety car, so how can we say what it would have been like!"
Vermeulen's team-mate John Hopkins will start from the third row, in eighth position, after also feeling penalised for not running a qualifying tyre in the morning.
corn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwf View Post

Talk about being served.

:imwst

:corn
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 07:16 AM
No Crying Allowed

:laugh

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TISSUE.jpg (32.2 KB, 2 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
That's fucked up wonder how it will go when/if it rains in the race?

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Just curious, how would you decide on the grid positions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwf View Post

Talk about being served.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Rossi Talks Washout

Camel Yamaha Team rider Valentino Rossi will start from pole position for the second consecutive race tomorrow after a tropical downpour forced the cancellation of this afternoon’s MotoGP qualifying session at Sepang. With several sections of circuit still several inches underwater even after the rain had ceased, the riders were forced through an agonising wait before Race Direction decided to base the grid line-up on the best times of each rider from the three previous free practice sessions. A stunning pole record lap from the Italian this morning was therefore enough to put him at the front of the pack for the thirteenth round of the championship, which takes place one hour later than usual tomorrow, at 3pm local time.

Whilst the weather played into the hands of Rossi it was a different story for his team-mate Colin Edwards, who had been hoping for more dry track time to improve his pace aboard the YZR-M1 after struggling to find an adequate set-up yesterday. Edwards made some progress this morning and was hoping for further improvement in the afternoon but he will now have to focus on tomorrow’s warm-up session before starting the race from eleventh place. Rossi will be joined on the front row of the grid by series leader Nicky Hayden (Honda) and Loris Capirossi (Ducati).

VALENTINO ROSSI (1st – 2’00.605; 23 laps) “I don’t know if it is harder to go and ride in those conditions or stand around waiting for two hours in your leathers! Seriously though the safety was the most important issue today – there was a lot of water on the track and the conditions were very bad. At two or three points it was like a river running across the surface and the water was very deep. As a member of the MotoGP Safety Commission I spoke with Race Direction and I also went down pit-lane to chat with the other riders and we all agreed that the best thing was to not ride, not just because of the water but also the limited vision. You couldn’t even see turn one at one point! I think that shows everybody is clever and the situation has changed from ten years ago – the riders now have more power over these situations and that is a good thing. This morning the bike was really good and I was able to ride it at 100% and use the tyres properly. We went back more to the setting we found in pre-season here and straight away I was able to set some fast times. We even had time to try a qualifying tyre and I suppose I was lucky we did that after what happened in the afternoon.

We have a few options for the race tyre but we’ll wait and see what the weather is like tomorrow before deciding – hopefully it will be dry.”

COLIN EDWARDS (11th – 2’02.800; 22 laps) “The weather has really messed things up today! Valentino found the magical set-up this morning, which was much closer to the set-up we used at the tests in January, and our plan was to try it this afternoon. Unfortunately the rain put paid to that and, having not used a qualifying tyre like he did this morning, we’re now going to have to start from 11th on the grid - which is not ideal, to say the least. Now we’re going to have to do what we hoped to do this afternoon in the warm-up tomorrow and hope that we can get everything sorted in just twenty minutes. Then it’s going to be a case of getting my head down and trying to fight my way through the pack.”

DAVIDE BRIVIO – CAMEL YAMAHA TEAM DIRECTOR “What a strange day! It was a good morning practice for Valentino – he made a big improvement with the bike and tested a qualifying tyre, which helped us in the strange situation this afternoon. He made a great lap time but his general pace shows that the steps made with the bike are in the right direction. We are happy about that and now we feel confident about tomorrow, it is good to be on pole again. Unfortunately Colin wasn’t helped by the weather because we feel he could have improved his grid position but he didn’t get the chance to do that so it’s a shame – it was a good and bad day for us from that perspective. The weather might be a problem tomorrow too if the storms come back so now we are all just hoping for nice weather when we open the curtains tomorrow.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4426.jpg (58.9 KB, 6 views)

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Hayden & Pedrosa

Hayden said, “It’s good to be on the front row, especially if it rains. I think maybe the grid should have been decided on Championship points – no I’m joking. If I’d have been ninth I’m sure I wouldn’t have been so happy but perhaps we have to come up with something in the rule book to make things clear in this situation. Hopefully tomorrow we can make it up to the fans and put on a good show for them because there were some die-hard fans who waited around all day and got teased a few times when the bikes would fire up only for the session to be cancelled.”

Dani said, “This afternoon I think for the first time in my career the rain has brought me luck! I couldn’t have imagined starting from fifth position if it had been a dry qualifying session, so that was a big present for me. This morning I was just testing my performance on the bike – for sure it wasn’t 100 per cent but I was able to ride and change gear OK. It felt so-so – not really bad, but not so good either. I don’t know about my race pace. I think the bike set-up is about ready although I haven’t had time to test all the race tyres I would have liked to.”

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 10:39 AM

To be honest , for some reason I thought it was decided by points, but I guess i was thinking about NASCRAP ?!?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 AM
RacerX85

Go Nicky!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
Rossi will bring Terror to the track!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 01:30 PM

..if that's the case The CIA will be keeping an eye on this race

I'd rather see Rossi up front based on race number (he's got number 1 even with the 46) Even a lottery would have been more fair.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Petronas Yamaha?

FP times for qually times? Does seem a bit strange and un-fair. Would have thought point standings to be better, but really both idea's suck. Wonder why they don't run qually in the morning before the race? Think F1 had to do that last year at the Nurburgring
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I dont inhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Racer View Post
wonder how it will go when/if it rains in the race?

nicky will win

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Nicky will be the first (or second) loser!

Poor Dani, he looks like he's hurtin
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGPracing View Post
FP times for qually times? Does seem a bit strange and un-fair. Would have thought point standings to be better, but really both idea's suck. Wonder why they don't run qually in the morning before the race? Think F1 had to do that last year at the Nurburgring
F1 also have covered their bases with rules in case no quali is held. Basing the grid on a free practise isn't fair regardless of who's up front.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Doubt that Rossi will win

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post
nicky will win

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 09:08 PM
No Crying Allowed

Interesting facts before the MotoGP race
MotoGP 08/09/06

· Valentino Rossi starts from pole for the third time in 2006.
· From the twelve previous times that Rossi has started on
pole in the premier-class riding a Yamaha, he has gone on to
win on ten occasions.
· Nicky Hayden is starting from the front row for just the
third time in 2006.
· Hayden has finished fourth on each of his three previous
visits to Sepang.
· Loris Capirossi has finished on the podium on each of the
previous four occasions that he has been on the front row this
year.
· Kenny Roberts, who won at Sepang in both 1999 and 2000,
also had his best dry weather result of 2005 here, finishing in
seventh place.
· Dani Pedrosa has had two victories here in the smaller
classes; in the 125cc class in 2003 and in the 250cc class in
· Sete Gibernau is starting from his best grid position since
taking pole at Mugello in June.
· Randy de Puniet has qualified higher than Kawasaki teammate
Shinya Nakano for the third time in 2006.
· Nakano is starting from his worst grid position since he was
14th on the grid at Motegi last year.
· John Hopkins has scored more points during the last nine
races than he did throughout 2005.
· Sepang is the only circuit on the current calendar that
Marco Melandri has not had a podium finish in any class.
· If either Casey Stoner or Dani Pedrosa were to win they
would become the youngest ever rider to take victory in three
different classes at the same circuit, taking the record from
Mike Hailwood, who won the 125cc, 250cc and 500cc classes at
the Isle of Man TT races in 1961.
· Colin Edwards has scored points at the last 33 successive
races. The only rider with a longer sequence is Mick Doohan,
with 37.
· Toni Elias had three podium finishes at Sepang when riding
in the 250cc class, including a victory from pole in 2003, when
he also set a new lap record.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode