Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
***Spoiler*** MotoGP Race Malaysia

Camel Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi won the Marlboro Malaysian Grand Prix after he and fellow Italian Loris Capirossi swapped positions numerous times in the final few laps before Rossi emerged the winner for the fifth time this year.

The race was an instant classic with championship implications. Not only did Rossi enhance his chances of keeping the number one plate, but Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa was a surprise third, one spot in front of teammate and world championship leader Nicky Hayden.

Pedrosa, who’d cut his knee in a practice high-side, wasn’t expected to be competitive. But his third place cut Hayden’s championship lead to 22 points with four races to run. Rossi, who was 51 points down to Hayden after the Red Bull U.S. GP, now sits third, only 26 points out of the lead.

“That was a really great race; it always is with Loris (Capirossi),” Rossi said. “When I saw his red bike come beside me I thought ‘Where did he come from?’ and I knew I was in for a good battle. I know that he will always attack me and we will pass a lot, and that’s what happened today. It was such fun! We were close through all the last laps and I think we maybe had ten overtakes, Loris was really strong and it could have gone either way. Actually my bike got better and better throughout the race and I knew I was going to be able to fight to the end.”

After turning the tables on the Czech GP winner, Rossi described Capirossi as “a great rival, I think the best of my career. We’re also great friends, which makes it even more fun. There’s no bad feeling between us ever.”

Rossi said the Brno race, in which he finished second, convinced him that his championship chances aren't over.

“After Laguna I didn’t really believe in my chances for the championship anymore, but then after Brno I said to myself ‘Okay we still have a chance, we can try.’ Now my objective is to win as many races as possible, then we see in Valencia.”

Marlboro Ducati’s Capirossi couldn’t be upset with losing out to the world champion. It was the second very strong performance for the Ducati and Bridgestone tires after the summer break.

“The battle with Valentino (Rossi) was great; we overtook each other many times but always in a correct manner,” Capirossi said after finishing .849 seconds behind Rossi. “It was easy to win or lose this race; no one could say who was going to win before the last corner, but I think a battle like this is so good for the sport.

“My problem wasn't the last corner, it was the one before where I had a bit too much spin on the exit. Now I am ready for the last four races, I know the bike and tires are good and I know I am strong enough to fight with Valentino. But I'm not thinking about the championship, I will just do my best and then we will count the points”

Capirossi is fourth in points, 17 behind Rossi.

Pedrosa was a valiant third, about the best he could hope for given the tumultuous weekend. On Friday there was speculation that he might not be able to race either here or the following race in Australia. And he caught a break when rain washed out Saturday qualifying. Instead of starting well down the field, which he certainly would have done, he started fifth based on his best Friday time.

“The big decision today was whether or not I would race, and until the last moment I was still in doubt about it,” he said. “We chose to race and they gave me one injection to take away the pain. Although I felt the stitches pressing under my leathers, the pain on my knee was gone. In the race my left foot hurt, and so did my left knee, but in the right knee I felt no pain.”

Pedrosa said he expected the lap times to be faster and the leaders to pull away. But he stayed at the front and in front of Hayden, from whom he took three valuable points.

“At the end I was very tired – my bike had just the basic set-up because I lost time in practice so I was riding on the limit in the race. In the end I got the result – that’s the important thing.”

For Hayden it “was quite a frustrating day because we didn’t have enough speed today,” he said after finishing two seconds behind Pedrosa. Hayden started fourth and finished there, neither gaining nor losing a position. Mid-race, he had to fight off challenges from Marlboro Ducati’s Sete Gibernau and Honda LCR’s Casey Stoner.

“We got a little bit behind on Friday and yesterday’s qualifying session was washed out, which didn’t help. But the bottom line is the guys in front of me were faster today. I felt like I rode my hardest and for that I’m proud, but at this level sometimes that isn’t good enough. I’ve got no excuses – the bike, the set-up and the tires were pretty good, yet we couldn’t quite go at their speed. It didn’t feel great just being off the back that little bit. We’ll keep fighting though – there’s four races to go and some tracks I really like coming up. We’re still in it, and we’ll keep working hard.”

Marlboro Ducati’s Sete Gibernau returned to racing after a one race absence with a fifth place finish.

" I wasn't as aggressive as I should've been during the first laps, just because I've been back home for two months, but I think we needed to do a race like this to come back,” Gibernau said. Gibernau had raced at the U.S.GP, but sat out the Czech race because of lingering collarbone injuries suffered back in June in the first turn melee in Catalunya. “I'm very pleased because I regained a good feeling with the bike and I was up there with the guys who are fighting for the championship, that's what we needed. I was a bit worried about the injury, I was thinking, ‘Oh man, what's going to happen?' but it reacted well.”

The final four laps saw a change in sixth with LCR Honda’s Casey Stoner being overtaken by both John Hopkins and Kenny Roberts Jr.

“Coming into the last couple of laps I just pushed hard and I knew I could get past Stoner,” Rizla Suzuki’s Hopkins said. “Unfortunately I didn't get past Kenny (Roberts Jr.) early enough as I think I could have got Sete (Gibernau) as well. We have to take what we can get. I want that podium, but it didn't happen here."

Roberts Jr. said his race was doomed from the start. “It took me a while to smooth out and by the time I did, I was where I was at.

“I just tried to stay smooth. When John (Hopkins) got past and went after Casey (Stoner), I was able to catch Casey too. I passed him, and I wanted to make a run at John, but I needed another couple of laps.”

Stoner was riding with pain in his back which limited his movement on the motorcycle.

“I couldn’t move my bum across the seat to change direction,” he said of the first of his problems. “I was really struggling into the corners under brakes, I had to use my upper body too much. The problem started when I jinked my back as the bike wobbled under brakes. Up until then I was gaining on the guys in front.”

Hopkins, Roberts Jr., and Stoner were separated by little more than a second. The gap to Fortuna Honda’s Marco Melandri in ninth was nearly three seconds.

“It was a very difficult weekend – we didn’t manage to solve the problems with the front end at all,” he lamented. “I tried to give my best in the race, but I did not feel comfortable on the bike and so I did not risk too much and decided to just claim some points that could prove important in the championship.”

Camel Yamaha’s Colin Edwards was a solitary tenth, struggling with traction.

“We’ve had the same problems since Mugello; I don’t have enough rear grip and I can’t push the bike as hard as I need to,” he said. “ This weekend we turned it upside down but still couldn’t find that little bit of grip we need. We’ve been following Valentino a little with the setting and today I had virtually the same as him. I don’t know how he does it, but somehow he does and today I couldn’t.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 483403.jpg (80.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 482554_87952.jpg (75.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 482582_19010.jpg (85.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 482620_44900.jpg (76.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 483511_93282.jpg (91.4 KB, 4 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Biga; 09-10-2006 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Cause I didn't have the report. Rossi - Congrats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 05:37 AM

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

The Title Standings as of today

:corn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 483463.jpg (80.4 KB, 21 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:24 AM
No Crying Allowed

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 AM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
first time that pedrosa has really impressed me... hats off to him for a ballsy display

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:53 AM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Phat View Post
first time that pedrosa has really impressed me... hats off to him for a ballsy display
It reminds me of Rossi riding with a broken foot and hand a few races ago..... Great effort.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 AM
BabyEater

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
It reminds me of Rossi riding with a broken foot and hand a few races ago..... Great effort.

for sure... though melandri's ride earlier in the year after the huge crash in the previous roudn was possibly the gutsiest display of the year

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I dont inhale

speaking of marco, wtf, when he is all banged up he runs up front, when he is healthy he doesnt, i dont get it

Rossi is back in his god like form,

nicky really needs to win next week,

danni showing why he is the going to be a legend, what a ride

rossi and capirossi rock , i could watch them battle all day,

4 to go , man its going to be tight

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 AM
BabyEater

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post
speaking of marco, wtf, when he is all banged up he runs up front, when he is healthy he doesnt, i dont get it
speculatively i'd say that derives from desire... he's more focused on working for a result when he's injured... as i said, speculation

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
WTF happened with Colin Edwards ?

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 11:34 AM
BabyEater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Racer View Post
WTF happened with Colin Edwards ?
10 is a fairly typical colin position

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:39 PM

:corn I wonder who'll bite LP's bullet..
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:46 PM

specttacolo

ROSSI
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:51 PM
No Crying Allowed

The RACE is on NOW ON speed channel for all of you in the states.....

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Besides the German GP this was defiantly one of the best races I ever watched.

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Ta Moko

Now all Rossi has to do is take the next 4 races

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

If he rides like today, than it should not be a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Nomad View Post
Now all Rossi has to do is take the next 4 races

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Nicky's grasp is slipping...

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:05 AM
BabyEater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwf View Post
:corn I wonder who'll bite LP's bullet..
Colin's results:

r01: 11
r02: 9
r03: 9
r04: 3
r05: 6
r06: 12
r07: 5
r08: 13
r09: 6
r10: 12
r11: 9
r12: 10
r13: 10

Average position 8.8

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
RacerX85

Dani was impressive...Nicky is starting to piss me off. It's like he is afraid of winning this championship!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode