Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation MotoGP >> Repsol Honda receives 2007 bikes!

Repsol Honda receives 2007 bikes!

Thursday, 6th March 2008

Repsol Honda could make a complete U-turn and start the 2008 MotoGP season, at Qatar on Sunday night, using exactly the same RC212Vs that it finished last season with.

Rather than gaining ground with its all-new '08 racer during the off-season, Honda's factory team has found itself in the unexpected situation of working its way back towards the proven 2007 design.

The underperforming pneumatic-valve '08 engine was the first to go, prompting an '07 engine to be fitted inside the '08 chassis for much of 2008 pre-season testing.

But even that compromise failed to trouble the impressive pace of the leading satellite Honda riders - using complete 2007 bikes - during last week's Qatar night test, when factory riders Nicky Hayden and Dani Pedrosa were left just seventh and 13th fastest.

"We've tried many different things but at the moment we aren't getting the results we were expecting. The main problem is grip," said Pedrosa at the end of the final pre-season test. "The tyres are fine, you can see that because the guys with the 2007 Hondas and Michelins are fast, so it's something else."

To try and cure its problems, Hayden and Pedrosa will be given a 2007 machine each to compare against the '08 chassis/'07 engine package - that they had been expecting to start the new season with - when free practice for this weekend's Qatar night race begins on Friday evening.

After a slow start, Pedrosa took last year's RC212V to second in the world championship standings with two race victories - including the Valencia season finale.

The bike with which Repsol Honda finished last season was then duplicated and given to the satellite teams for this year, while HRC handed Hayden and Pedrosa what has turned out to be a troubled all-new model.

Honda had already announced that its pneumatic-valve engine, for which the '08 chassis was originally designed, will not be present this weekend and only be raced once its performance has improved.

Source: Crash.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 PM
250 cc pilota.

Indeed a very interesting scenario and I canīt help but to smile a bit at Hondas current problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Mat

Oh dear. This doesn't sound like the Honda we have known over the last 20 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM
7c Forever

I think Erv's stock just went up substantially.

and also: BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I just hope Lorenzo and ToeJam get rocked just as bad, that'd totally make my year.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Ask the Chief

Well....they'll get to try out the pure 07 and the 07/08 hybrid to see which one they like better. I'm betting that Nicky goes with the 07/08 and pedro goes with the pure 07.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
Well....they'll get to try out the pure 07 and the 07/08 hybrid to see which one they like better. I'm betting that Nicky goes with the 07/08 and pedro goes with the pure 07.
Seems like NH likes the O7...

Repsol riders delay '07/'08 decision.

Friday, 7th March 2008

Repsol Honda riders Dani Pedrosa and Nicky Hayden endured a tough opening night at Qatar on Friday, when back-to-back tests with the 2007 and 2008 versions of the RC212V failed to produce a clear favourite.

Both Pedrosa and Hayden rode their fastest laps on their 2008 bikes - which nonetheless feature a 2007 valve-spring engine - but after being left just tenth (Pedrosa) and 13th (Hayden) on the timesheets neither was prepared to rule out racing the 2007 bike, which is of the same spec as that used at Valencia last November, when Pedrosa took the pole position, race victory and the lap record.

"The two bikes feel different, but it's still too early to decide which we' re going to race," confirmed Pedrosa, who was lucky to walk away from a high-speed fall at Turn 14 after making contact with Valentino Rossi during the second session.

Hayden also took a trip through the floodlit Losail gravel, but was able to stay on two wheels. The American finished day one of the 2008 racing season as the slowest Honda rider.

"That wasn't spectacular by any means, but we knew it wasn't going to be easy coming in here because we had a tough test here last week," said the 2006 world champion. "Tonight we were checking a completely different set-up, so we'll definitely have to sit down tonight and make a decision on which bike to use and take the big step forward tomorrow. So far the 07 bike is better in braking and it's more stable in changes of direction, but the lap times were very close.

"I'd say tonight's track conditions were better than the tests, I expected the track to be dirtier but it was okay. Tyres aren't an issue, the tyres are working good. My last lap I was hoping to improve, I was pushing hard and ran off the track at a pretty fast place. I took a ride through the gravel but stayed on the bike, so it was okay," he added.

"Today wasn't so easy for us but I think we are learning a lot," insisted Repsol Honda team manager Kazuhiko Yamano. "Dani used a new chassis in his 08 bike tonight and it gives him a better front feeling. He was unlucky to have a fall tonight and it seems his right hand is very painful again.

"Nicky also tried both this year's machine and last year's machine and he also seems to be finding a direction for Sunday. We look forward to doing better tomorrow," he added.

The leading Honda rider on Friday was rookie Andrea Dovizioso, who claimed fifth position on his 2008 satellite spec RCV - which is the same specification as the 2007 factory machine.

Dovizioso, like the Repsol riders, uses Michelin tyres.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Hayden to '07, Pedrosa '08.

Hayden to '07, Pedrosa '08.

Saturday, 8th March 2008

Repsol Honda riders Nicky Hayden and Dani Pedrosa qualified sixth and eighth fastest during Saturday night's floodlit qualifying session for the Qatar season opener - riding two very different RC212Vs.

HRC's factory racers were each handed a 2007 spec RCV each - in addition to the '07 engine/'08 chassis hybrid they had been expecting to race - to try and cure the grip problems experienced during last week's Losail test session.

Hayden is now running only the 2007 machine, and produced a typically solid qualifying performance to secure the last spot on row two - a welcome reward after a tough weekend.

"We improved a lot this afternoon... heck, it's the middle of the night!" said Hayden, caught out by the unique time schedule of the inaugural night event. "My first two runs on race tyres I improved quite a bit and in the end I was able to get a respectable lap on qualifies, nothing great, but I was able to give ourselves a decent chance.

"The big thing around here for us is the straightaway, we're losing quite a bit of time, the bike I'm using is what I had at Valencia," he confirmed.

"I'm really excited to be going racing. I'd like to have a better race pace and all that but it is what it is and it's time to line up and go for it. I'm enjoying riding at night, I think it's cool, I hope some more tracks decide to get some lighting systems going.

"A big thanks to my team and to HRC, these guys have worked so hard, it's silly how hard they have worked over the last week to get more bikes here, get more options for us, build a different chassis for Dani's bike which seems to be a good step so I'm sure the next time I get on the 08 I'll try one of those," he concluded.

As Hayden mentioned, Pedrosa has a new chassis for his 2008 machine, and will be racing the 'new' bike on Sunday.

"[Dani] is using the new chassis we brought here and he made some more progress with setup for that chassis, it gives him better front feeling," confirmed Repsol Honda team manager Kazuhiko Yamano.

"We struggled with qualifying tyres and we couldn't improve my times so much, so we will start from the third row," explained Pedrosa. "We haven't tested so much with qualifying tyres so we need more testing to improve our qualifying setup. I'm not happy about my grid position but I'm better off than I was during last week's tests here.

"I am happy about how the bike has improved in such a short time. Now we have another 20 minutes during warm-up to further improve it," he continued. "As for race pace, we are not at the level of the fastest riders but we have improved. And if we consider the fact that we didn't so much testing during the winter, that I've had a bad hand injury and that we had problems in testing here, I think the situation isn't so bad.

"After yesterday's crash the hand was very painful. I've had some treatment on the hand and we will work some more on it tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to the race, the only problem could be the strength of my right arm over full-race distance," Pedrosa concluded.

Despite improving their positions compared with Friday, helped in part by a Michelin qualifying-tyre advantage, both factory
Honda riders were again outpaced by satellite rider Randy de Puniet, who will start fifth on the grid.

Rookie Andrea Dovizioso, the fourth Michelin-shod Honda rider, was just 0.015secs slower than Pedrosa for JiR Team Scot.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 AM

It'll be interesting to see what Nicky chooses once he gets to try the new 08 chassis. Reading that it looks as though Pedrosa got a diff 08 chassis than what Nicky had been testing
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
It'll be interesting to see what Nicky chooses once he gets to try the new 08 chassis. Reading that it looks as though Pedrosa got a diff 08 chassis than what Nicky had been testing
yea and it seems strange that nicky would choose to ride the 07 bike which he did terrible on last season then ride the 08 which he developed during the off season and was fast on... whats up wit that

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 PM

I'm not really surprised that Nicky chose the 07... all during practice he was faster on the 07 bike than the 08, even with the 07 mill in the 08, he was faster on the 07 bike.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
I'm not really surprised that Nicky chose the 07... all during practice he was faster on the 07 bike than the 08, even with the 07 mill in the 08, he was faster on the 07 bike.
really i thought he was faster on the new bike

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 PM

I said practice... but I meant testing.
Check out Crash... its all at their site... Hayden was consistently faster on the older bike. And faster on the 08 with the 07 engine than the pneumatic mill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode