Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Must say 2 Spoiler :punch

Why is there only one quick Ducati?

Wednesday, 12th March 2008

'Various theories are floating round the paddock to explain the gap between Stoner and the rest...'

It's what everyone's asking in the paddock. The Desmosedici GP8 has more power and better streamlining than anything else, and great tyres. So why can only Casey Stoner make it look respectable?

His team-mate Marco Melandri is used to championship pressure (he was 250cc king in 2002) and has previously won five
MotoGP races.

In the Alice Ducati satellite squad, team principal Luis d'Antin wanted better results than Alex Barros and Alex Hofmann provided in 2007, and replaced them with the 24-year-old Spaniard Toni Elias - famous for pinching a MotoGP race from Rossi at Estoril in 2006 - and the Frenchman Sylvain Guintoli, 25, who already has a year's experience of MotoGP under his wheels.

The Losail results: Elias was 14th in qualifying, Melandri 16th and Guintoli 17th. They were only marginally better in the race: Melandri 11th, Elias 14th, Guintoli 15th.

Various theories are floating round the paddock to explain the gap between Stoner and the rest. They include:

Melandri's got his head all mixed up and is now at the state where he's asking for everything to be changed (a formula that leads to chaos); the Ducati is actually very hard to ride and only a madcap genius like Stoner can handle it (not believable); or, if you prefer, the bike's been developed totally around Stoner's preferences (but even so, with that much power and those Bridgestones, the others shouldn't be that far back).

So, no obvious solution, but the current performance gap between Stoner and Melandri is even larger than the Stoner/Capirossi line-up of 2007.

Stoner won 10 races and took 14 podiums en route to the 2007 crown, while a frustrated Capirossi - who had been Ducati's star rider since 2003 - stood on the rostrum just four times last year, including one victory in the wet-dry Motegi race.

Melandri finished 44 seconds behind Stoner after 22 laps at Qatar, as Stoner almost doubled his victory margin. In 2007 he won the season-opening (day) race by 2.8secs over Valentino Rossi, but on Sunday night he had pulled 5.3secs clear of Rossi's new Yamaha team-mate Jorge Lorenzo by the chequered flag.

Melandri and the rest of the 2008 MotoGP field will try to close the gap to Stoner next time out, at Jerez in Spain, on March 30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 414325.jpg (156.5 KB, 5 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

I don't think the Ducati is as easy to ride as everyone thinks it is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM

I don't think Stoner is as far back in the talent pool as most Rossi fans may think he is...

Why is Melandri struggling? I been saying all along that finding a good fitting bike is more important for some riders more than others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
Stoner is definitely a very talented rider. He was crazy fast his rookie but lacked control. He obviously overcame the control issue before the 07 season... The rest is history.

Oh, and he won't be slowing down. Everyone else needs to step up...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Mat

I don't think there is any doubt that the kid can ride. I remember watching a lot of the races last year thinking that Casey was destroying his tyres by pushing the bike so hard, maybe the key to making the Ducati competitive is to ring its neck
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

^ You can see the Duc trying to buck him off, on many occasions.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
It's early days yet.
Certainly too early to be writing off Melandri. He's a scrapper and usually finds a way to make a bike work, even if he's not happy with it.

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
I don't think the Ducati is as easy to ride as everyone thinks it is
I don't think Biga will stay on Stoner's bandwagon once someone else overcomes him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
I don't think Stoner is as far back in the talent pool as most Rossi fans may think he is...
Trust me, we certainly don't doubt Stoner's ability as much as we doubt NH's...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM
No Crying Allowed

There have been several reports that Stoner has more "toys" or "goodies" then the rest....

It's very clear where their focus is, if you think it's all rider then think again.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

^ Don't believe everything you hear on TV

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
It goes to show that no matter how great the bike, it still needs a great rider..

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Ask the Chief

it's just like anything else....sometimes things just click. the right rider, bike and tire combo working perfectly together.

all it tell me is that stoner has the ability to wrangle a difficult bike into going fast. maybe he has more skill than people like to admit.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
No Crying Allowed

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from Stoner but it's clearly the complete package more then anything else.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Mat

Exactly, motogp is more so a team sport than ever before. It just makes all the sweeter that a factory team with less resources and budget along with a kid who many wrote off are doing well together :lp
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Why is it that valerossi deflects to Hayden when everyone is talking about how good Stoner is?

Sour grapes?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Resident Redneck

^ Vale is a Hayden fan in disguise

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 05:37 PM

MotoGP >> Why is there only one quick Ducati?

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...k_ducati?.html

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 AM
PCP

Stoner can ride.. no doubt about that. I still want to see Rossi back up at the front though.

I'm not a diehard fan of any GP riders like I am in AMA... but I have a small group of them that I don't mind seeing out front.

As long as Kurtis Roberts is gone, and Pedrobot isn't out front... I'm ok for the most part.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sQuid^ View Post
Why is it that valerossi deflects to Hayden when everyone is talking about how good Stoner is?

Sour grapes?
You guys seem like to deflect on Rossi too when the topic has nothing to do with him...

Quote:
^ Vale is a Hayden fan in disguise
sQuid^ is definitely a Hayden fan in disguise...
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Rookie again

Quote:
^ You can see the Duc trying to buck him off, on many occasions.
I thought the exact same thing after watching the first race. It definately looks like a handfull but he can ride it that's for sure. I don't think it's going to be a runaway season for Stoner though. I mean, it's only been one race and they a few weeks to prepare for the next in Spain.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode