Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Trouble for Spies Moto-GP Plans?

George Martinez "Aspar" have been interviewed by italian magazine GP-One and it might be problems ahead for Spies.

Suzuki Too Expensive For Aspar?
GPOne.com is reporting that Jorge Martinez of Aspar may look elsewhere for MotoGP bikes for 2009. Aspar has made no secret of his intention to enter MotoGP next season, and his name has long been linked with Suzuki.

Now, however, Martinez is saying that Suzuki are asking for too much money for the privilege of running a third bike, and he may be forced to look elsewhere. Quite where Aspar could find other machinery is a bit of a mystery, as the other manufacturers have made it clear that they are pretty much at maximum effort supporting the current crop of bikes on the grid. Kawasaki is thought to be the only real alternative, as they are under pressure from Dorna to supply at least one more machine to help fill the grid.

An entirely speculative option is that Honda could possibly provide one more machine, as they managed to provide the extra sets of engines for Team KR during the 2006 and 2007 series. As the engine is by far the most expensive and time-consuming part of a motorcycle, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Honda would be capable of supporting a 7th satellite RC212V.

Martinez also made it abundantly clear that he wanted to retain Alvaro Bautista, the young Spanish rider widely tipped to win the 250 world championship this year. If they cannot retain Bautista, however, Gino Borsoi, spokesman for the team, hinted that their preference would be for another Spanish rider. This statement is the clearest sign of problems for Ben Spies, who will be attempting to get a ride in MotoGP for 2009, and who had previously been linked with the Aspar team. Unless Spies can raise the money to fund the Suzuki factory bike for Aspar, his prospects of getting a ride look to have become more distant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Gang Green

I think it will be more clear once he gets in those couple races this year. If he really impresses, a seat might open up for him somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:37 AM
7c Forever

like Vermuleans seat if current trends continue.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
If they cannot retain Bautista, however, Gino Borsoi, spokesman for the team, hinted that their preference would be for another Spanish rider.
Time to learn spanish Ben!!!
Yo te ayudo, Ben... y te cambiamos el nombre a Benito Espieso Rodriguez Hernandez De La Rosa Gutierrez...

Oh well... I think I rather see Ben in WSBK... too bad MotoGP seems to have that social status thing going like SUV's do on the streets...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 PM

He has the talent to supercede Capirex or Vermuelen! Spies should take one of their rides any way.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 PM
7c Forever

I gotta admit tho, Spies and Bautista would just about be my rookie dream team.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Mr.

IMO Vermulen is wasted alot of time and done very little there was anD still is a lotta hype about him but with very little results , he has however earned a shot on another bike to see if he is worth his salt because we all know suszuki really stinks in MOTO-GP.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Tom OīKane who is Vermeulens crew chief, he has worked with stars like Rainey so he knows a thing or two, talks very highly of Vermeluen and see a future WC in him...
Bbut I have to say he isnīt proving to be more than a mid-pack rider with great wet weather skills.
I would say Speis would outdo him, Bautista as well give som etime.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

i think suzuki needs to sit back and see whos doing more for them on the track and development wise between vermulen and capirex... because right now capirex is showing him up on a bike he's been on for over a year... it may be time to cut there losses and bring in someone new....like spies and see what he can do

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 12:07 PM

I read that Aspar may get Pepe Telephone as sponsor next year. And that the riders that Aspar and the Spanish sponsor want is Alvaro Bautista, Fonsi Nieto or Hector Barbera.

Suzuki asking for 4 million euro to lease a bike for next year. Thats twice as much as a Honda. So with a Honda you can get one spare bike or 2 engines extra for the price of one Suzuki.

Last edited by Axxexs; 04-06-2008 at 12:38 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 PM
7c Forever

Gustav, yea I agree, Tom O'Kane knows his shit, and you know I've got a lot of respect for him... BUT... it's been a long time since Tom put someone on a championship box, and the skillset necessary to do it has changed.

Not that Vermulean is horrible, just for whatever reason he's not been able to put it together.

as far as Suzuki asking 4 million for a bike where Honda only wants 2.... the difference is Suzuki actually want the bike paid for, Honda are willing to take a loss to increase their odds at the manufacturers title.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 AM

Verm is a freak... anyone who watched WSBK when he was racing the under developed Fireblade will know what I'm talking about ... not to mention he already has a WSS title. What has Spies got? A domestic title which he barely won?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggog View Post
Verm is a freak... anyone who watched WSBK when he was racing the under developed Fireblade will know what I'm talking about ... not to mention he already has a WSS title. What has Spies got? A domestic title which he barely won?
Vermeulen was really good in WSBk but he hasnīt impressed in GPs. He seems stuck in his pace and has been outscored by his teammate through out his career, first Hopkins and now Capirossi. Maybe he is a better SBK rider than a GP -rider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Gustav, yea I agree, Tom O'Kane knows his shit, and you know I've got a lot of respect for him... BUT... it's been a long time since Tom put someone on a championship box, and the skillset necessary to do it has changed.

Not that Vermulean is horrible, just for whatever reason he's not been able to put it together.

as far as Suzuki asking 4 million for a bike where Honda only wants 2.... the difference is Suzuki actually want the bike paid for, Honda are willing to take a loss to increase their odds at the manufacturers title.
I guess part of the equation is Suzuki not getting their stuff together. Last year they took a big step but know Yamaha and Honda has upped the ante again and Suzuki seem to be having trouble keeping up at the moment.

Last edited by Gustav O; 04-07-2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggog View Post
What has Spies got? A domestic title which he barely won?
2 domestic titles in the toughest domestic series in the world. Against a guy that several WSBK champ's have said could win WSBK in his first go, while learning the tracks.

Also... Mladin was HEALTHY, and ON THE SAME BIKE. When Spies did it... both times. Unlike when oh say.... Hayden did it.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
Vermeulen was really good in WSBk but he hasnīt impressed in GPs. He seems stuck in his pace and has been outscored by his teammate through out his career, first Hopkins and now Capirossi. Maybe he is a better SBK rider than a GP -rider?
Hopper only just beat Verm, and Hopper's been playing the GP game for a long time now. In the first race this season, Verm had a front tyre failure and we're only two races in ... I think you're being a bit hasty.

Quote:
2 domestic titles in the toughest domestic series in the world.
AMA is stronger than BSB? I think I just lost my lunch.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:18 PM
7c Forever

I would definitely consider AMA stronger than BSB. Without a shadow of a doubt.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Quote:
2 domestic titles in the toughest domestic series in the world.
I thought BSB was the undisputed 'toughest domestic series in the world'?

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Trust me, I'm a Ninja

Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
I thought BSB was the undisputed 'toughest domestic series in the world'?
Better tracks, yes.

Better riders, no.

USMC: We put the "laughter" back in Slaughter.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:45 PM

I'd be very interested to see how many non-American's on this forum thought AMA was stronger than BSB ... Don't get me wrong, I'm an Aussie and Mladin's a gun, but he's he's only racing against one rider in AMA.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
7c Forever

I'm not American and I think AMA is far better than BSB.

Lets review, how many GP champs has BSB ever produced?

Former BSB champs that are running in the AMA, where are they placing? (Hodgepodge 5th in the championship last year, off the fucking radar this year.)

It had never even occured to me that BSB would be considered better than AMA.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode