Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
WSB/ WSS/ Superstock Monza - Preview

SETUP REPORT

07/05/2008
Haga returns to scene of double triumph

Monza track

The World Superbike Championship moves from the classic circuit of Assen to an even more historic one - Monza - for the fifth round of the series this Sunday, May 11. Built in 1922, as first a speed bowl and then a fast parkland circuit, Monza is the oldest permanent race circuit in Europe still in regular use. A combination of flat out straights, similarly quick corners, a variety of chicanes and intense braking areas make Monza a unique stop-off on the WSB trail, especially as its Italian parkland cousin Imola is no longer on the calendar.

For the Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team, Monza is their literal home base, with the Lesmo corners at the north of the track situated very close to the squad's race workshops in Gerno di Lesmo. Team riders Noriyuki Haga and Troy Corser are proven winners at Monza, both in races and in Superpole, with Haga particularly keen to see lighting strike twice again at his team's home round. Last year Haga took his YZF-R1 to a magnificent double win, reasserting himself as a serious title challenger before going on to finish two points from the title itself. After a sometimes difficult start to this year, Haga is currently sixth overall, with a win and a second place to his credit.

Top placed Yamaha rider is the vastly experienced Troy Corser, who is third in the championship after scoring three podiums so far. Corser won at Monza on a four-cylinder machine in 2005, and this weekend would be the perfect time for him to notch up his first race victory in Yamaha colours.

The team has tested at Monza in 2008, but their two day session was virtually washed out by torrential rain, and thus Monza will be something of a full re-start for them.

Haga understands that Monza is a track apart, and not only because of his double win in 2007. He stated "The Monza race is very special and important for us all. Last year was great. I set a super lap of 1.44'941 in Superpole and won both races. As you probably know by now our Yamaha Motor Italia base is very close to the Monza circuit, so many friends and fans come along to cheer me. My aim for Monza will be to repeat the same fantastic result as last year. The competition is even harder this year so my aim will be not so easy, but I will try to get as many points as possible."

Corser, the record Superpole winner of all time, said. "We have had some small problems in the past races but as far as the season goes I would say we can mark ourselves as eight out of 10. Although I haven't won a race yet I am still sort of up there in the championship standings, in third right now. My form is good and my motivation is still high and I just try as hard as I can to win races. I like Monza, there are many Yamaha supporters at Monza and it is our team's home race. The track itself is different from all the others on the calendar. We need to have the bike set-up for hard braking after the long and fast straights and there will be a lot of slipstreaming involved. Overtaking options are limited around there, mainly on braking. It was really wet for our recent test there but we did do some traction control testing."

Technically speaking - Monza according to Silvano Galbusera (Technical co-ordinator and crew chief for Noriyuki Haga)
"As we do for all the others tracks, we will prepare one bike using our 2007 race specifications and the other will be pretty close to what we ran in the previous race. So, one bike will be the Assen race bike, with harder suspension, and one will be set the same as last year's Monza machine. Unfortunately, we had no real feedback from the Monza test we had last month because of the weather. The geometry, rake, trail and other chassis settings will start out the same as last year. It's easy for us to start from the 2007 spec, because it seemed to work well for Nori last year.

"The main differences we have compared to 2007 are special engine parts, for top end power, some more options we have are rear suspension linkages and one alternative swingarm, which has different rigidity. Of course, at Monza the engine is very important, because the rider has to hold full throttle for a long time. A powerful engine is something you must have if you want to fight for the podium. During the Monza race weekend we'll test some new engine parts that should help the riders to go faster than last year.

Monza has only a few corners, but all of them are very important. After each corner there is a long, long straight. In my opinion one of the most important is the Parabolica. Going in faster and keeping the speed up through the corner allows riders to score good lap-times. It can make the difference between a good high speed and a fantastic one at the end of the pit straight. For this, I think, we should work on the suspension and the bikes' geometry in order to give our riders the possibility to be as fast as possible around this long corner."

Shinichi Nakatomi (Yamaha Team YZF) enters the Monza round 21st in the rankings, but Yamaha GMT94 rider Davide Checa will not be able to race after dislocating his hip at Assen. Twenty-year-old regular AMA Supersport rider, Michael Beck, from California, will replace Checa at Monza. The team hopes that Checa will return for the Salt Lake WSB round, in June 1. Yamaha GMT94 regular Sebastien Gimbert will be out to add to his points scores in Australia, at a Monza circuit he has previous experience of.

Yamaha World Supersport Team riders Broc Parkes and Fabien Foret enter the fifth round of the 2008 season in third and fourth places in the championship respectively, but now with contrasting expectations of their Monza race weekends. Foret is out to secure his first win of the season, at a track he knows well, but a recent mountain bike accident has disrupted the preparations of Parkes, the winner of the opening race at Qatar.

Parkes has cracked his left elbow and damaged his scaphoid bone after his recent fall, injuries which are now added to a broken left hand, sustained after an accident in practice at the previous Assen round. Parkes is determined to race at Monza, and is now taking all possible steps to be ready for the first practice session on Friday 9 May.

Parkes explained his situation in the run-up to race weekend. "I had an accident when training on my mountain bike but the results of the X-rays came back with better news than we thought at first. I have a couple of cracks in my left elbow. Not complete breaks, so that is quite positive. I have damaged my scaphoid but it is not broken. The damage is on my left side, so at least it won't affect my throttle and braking arm. Monza has a lot of hard braking zones so we won't know how I will be able to ride until I get on the bike on Friday. Then we will see what's possible. Normally, Monza should be a good round for us and our bike really suits it. If you get a good slipstream you can come through to the front from almost anywhere. Points are important so if I can ride I will be going for as many as possible."

In preparation for Monza Foret stated: "Monza is a good track for me because our Yamaha has good speed and it should work well there. I am not so bad in braking from high speed and that is another important point when racing at Monza. I need to score some big points at this race and I've had some good results there in the past. I will be trying to set the bike set up so that I can brake late and pass other riders that way, because there is going to be a lot of slipstreaming. Last year we saw Haga break clear in the Superbike races but that is not easy to do. Monza is a different kind of place, on and off track. The track seems simple but the slipstreaming makes it a very tactical contest and the layout is not as easy as it looks."

Massimo Roccoli raced in the Italian Supersport Championship race at Monza last weekend and took a solid second place on his Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni R6 as he prepared for this weekend's WSS race at the same venue.

WSS full-time rider David Salom will once more line up with Angel Rodriguez in the Team Yamaha Spain World Supersport squad because regular rider Davide De Gea continues his recovery from his double leg break. Rodriguez was in fine form at Assen until he fell and the team believe he will be a force to be reckoned with once more.

Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni rider Michele Pirro secured his first podium of the year at Assen and is now third overall, only four points from the championship lead. Pirro was second in the Italian National Superstock race last weekend, and is ready to face the challenge of Monza once again.

Claudio Corti (Yamaha Motor Italia Junior Team) raced in the Italian CIV Superbike Championship at Monza, not in the Superstock class he competes in at FIM Cup level level and duly won the race by an impressive 15 seconds. Sylvain Barrier (Yamaha team YZF) is the third supported Yamaha 1000 Superstock rider this season, hoping to make up for his Assen no score at Monza.

In the 600 division of Superstock, Valencia race victor Loris Baz (Yamaha Junior Team YZF) is second in the championship, only five points behind Assen race winner, and fellow YZF-R6 rider, Dan Linfoot.

Track length: 5793m
Track opened: 1922
2007 winner: Noriyuki Haga (Yamaha) double win
2007 fastest lap: 1'46.040 (Noriyuki Haga - Yamaha)
WSB best lap: 1'44.941 (Noriyuki Haga - Yamaha)
Circuit tel: +39 039 24821
Circuit website: www.monzanet.it

Yamaha Racing Communications
Hoogte Kadijk 61hs / 1018 BE Amsterdam / The Netherlands
T. +31 (0) 20 625 6539 / F. +31 (0) 20 420 9470
E. [email protected] W. http://www.yamaha-racing.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Smile

QUALIFYING 1 REPORT
09/05/2008
Haga and Corser chase set-up at Monza

Noriyuki Haga

Noriyuki Haga (Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team) was the fastest Yamaha rider on show on the first day at Monza, posting a time of 1'47.074 to go 12th fastest overall. He was just over one second from provisional pole, at this long 5.793km circuit.

Troy Corser (Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team) was only three places behind Haga on day one, looking for greater top speed and general set-up to get back into contention at the fastest track on the WSB calendar.

Qualifying was conducted in warm and sunny conditions, a great contrast with the deluge of rain that cursed the team's attempt to test at their home circuit of Monza last month.

Team YZF Yamaha rider Shinichi Nakatomi went 19th in qualifying, with Sebastien Gimbert (Yamaha GMT94) one place and 0.461 seconds behind him.

David Checa (Yamaha GMT94) was unable to ride at Monza because of his recently dislocated hip his place was taken by American rider Michael Beck. He took 29th place on the provisional grid in his first ever ride outside the USA.

Final qualifying and then Superpole for the top 16 riders takes place on Saturday, with two SBK races taking place on Sunday 11th.

Noriyuki Haga (12th - 1'47.074 - Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team)
"OK I guess, but we have had some issues with the rear traction but that, I think, is coming from the tyre. We have three different tyres and we have to make suspension settings for them all. I tried a few things this morning and this afternoon but we haven't found a good feeling yet. Tonight we change and we see what happens tomorrow. The front tyre choice has been made. Some of the other bikes seem very fast here."

Troy Corser

Troy Corser (15th - 1'47.232 - Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team)
"The bike is not fast enough at the top end of the scale. The chassis we are finding some improvements with, we're not a long way away with it but we are still losing maybe half a second in straightline speed. Having it rain during our test here last month was not so good but we are just not accelerating onto the straights the way we want to so far."

Massimo Meregalli (Team Manager, Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team)
"Both riders are looking for more grip exiting the corners to let them hit full speed at the end of the straight and we are working for an overall better bike set-up. We lost some testing time last month but there was nothing we could do about that. Tomorrow we will make some improvements and we will try our best as always."

Michael Beck (29th - 1'51.869 - Yamaha GMT94)
"This is the first time I have been out of the USA and this has been a great experience already. I always wondered what it was like racing over here in Europe and I finally got to experience it here. There are one or two tracks like this in America, but this place has a lot of straightaways and fast corners, and the Parabolica corner is pretty amazing."

Circuit Length: 5792

Weather: Hot and Sunny

2008 WSB Italy - Monza 09/05/2008

Qualifying 1
Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Total Time
1 Max Neukirchner Suzuki GER 1'45.990
2 Troy Bayliss Ducati AUS 1'46.359
3 Yukio Kagayama Suzuki JPN 1'46.371
4 Makoto Tamada Kawasaki JPN 1'46.404
5 Jakub Smrz Ducati CZE 1'46.604
6 Karl Muggeridge Honda AUS 1'46.750
7 Michel Fabrizio Ducati ITA 1'46.814
8 Kenan Sofuoglu Honda TUR 1'46.854
9 Ruben Xaus Ducati ESP 1'46.915
10 Gregorio Lavilla Honda ESP 1'46.946
11 Fonsi Nieto Suzuki ESP 1'46.990
12 Noriyuki Haga Yamaha JPN 1'47.074
13 Regis Laconi Kawasaki FRA 1'47.089
14 Carlos Checa Honda ESP 1'47.135
15 Troy Corser Yamaha AUS 1'47.232
19 Shinichi Nakatomi Yamaha JPN 1'47.815
20 Sebastien Gimbert Yamaha FRA1'48.276

QUALIFYING 1 REPORT
09/05/2008
Foret and Parkes well placed after day one at Monza

Fabien Foret

Yamaha World Supersport Team riders Fabian Foret and Broc Parkes finished second and third respectively after the first day of qualifying at Monza, after a busy period of action at the classic Italian parkland venue. Air temperatures hit 28°C during the qualifying session, in which 37 riders attempted to qualify for Sunday's race.

Foret was held up at the Lesmo corners on his fastest lap, losing some time to fastest qualifier Joshua Brookes.Foret is happy with his basic machine set-up and aims to take his first win of the year on Sunday.

Parkes was unsure if he could ride at all even one day before the start of qualifying. Despite his recent left hand, elbow and wrist injuries, suffered during an Assen practice crash and a subsequent fall from a mountain bike in training, Parkes gritted his teeth to take a strong third, only 0.043 seconds behind Foret.

Massimo Roccoli (Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni) was the next best Yamaha rider on day one, securing tenth place at his first home event of 2008.

Angel Rodriguez continued to show strong form as replacement rider for regular Yamaha Spain World Supersport rider David De Gea. He qualified 15th overall, with his team-mate David Salom 21st today. Both are hopeful of improvements for tomorrow's final qualifying session.

Fabien Foret (2nd - 1'50.774 - Yamaha World Supersport Team)
"I'm reasonably happy so far, but I expected to do a little bit better. On my fast laps I found Lascorz, who was pushing hard but just going slower than me, and I could not pass him before the Lesmo corners. I lost some speed there. I kept pushing anyway and got a 1'50.7, but I think there was more to come, maybe two or three tenths. Tomorrow should be OK, and the main thing is get ready for the races. I would be happy with a normal start in the race on Sunday, never mind a good one!"

Broc Parkes

Broc Parkes (3rd - 1'50.817 - Yamaha World Supersport Team)
"I have no power at all in my left arm and I can't change direction properly. I am very pleasantly surprised at my result today because yesterday I didn't even know if it was possible to ride the bike. I was already very happy with a top ten in free practice this morning so to be top three this afternoon was unbelievable. Every day my condition improves.Sunday will be tough, but I feel I can get a little bit better and stay in the slipstream in the races. That aspect is possible because of our bike, which is quite fast. We put some padding on the back of the fuel tank and some grip panels on the side, so I can use my knees to help under braking, but I just feel I can't move around."

Wilco Zeelenberg (Team Manager, Yamaha World Supersport Team
"Broc was good today considering he is carrying a couple of recent injuries. He is less than a tenth from Fabien, and they both like the track here. The bikes are running well and we have no real issues so far, so it is a case of following the path we are on, joining up the dots tomorrow. We can see in the times that no-one will be able to break away so it is a case of making sure our riders will be in there on Sunday. We need to be near the front at the start of the race because all things are possible at Monza when you get away with the front group."

Massimo Roccoli (10th - 1'51.855 - Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni)
"I had a little problem today with the front of the bike chattering and pushing me wide so tomorrow we will change to another tyre choice to see if that makes the difference. With better settings I know we can go faster."

Angel Rodriguez: (15th - 1'52.174 - Yamaha Spain)
"This is my first race at Monza. I donŽt know the track, and IŽll need to know every corner, every part, for the race. Unfortunately, I crashed this morning during the free session and we had to use the second bike for the qualifying session. Even so, I improved my time by more than a second."

David Salom: (21st - 1'52.760 - Yamaha Spain)
"I hope to improve my time and go faster tomorrow. I like this circuit, it's fun to ride, fast, with heavy braking and a mix of fast and slow corners. My injured hand is better, it gives me just a little pain under braking, but it's not an excuse. Tomorrow weŽll improve for sure."

Weather: Hot

2008 WSS Italy - Monza
09/05/2008

Qualifying 1Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Total Time

1 Joshua Brookes Honda AUS 1'50.334
2 Fabien Foret Yamaha FRA 1'50.774
3 Broc Parkes Yamaha AUS 1'50.817
4 Andrew Pitt Honda AUS 1'50.969
5 Gianluca Nannelli Honda ITA 1'51.361
6 Craig Jones Honda GBR 1'51.392
7 Jonathan Rea Honda GBR 1'51.411
8 Gianluca Vizziello Honda ITA 1'51.497
9 Barry Veneman Suzuki NED 1'51.609
10 Massimo Roccoli Yamaha ITA 1'51.855
11 Katsuaki Fujiwara Kawasaki JPN 1'51.963
12 Robbin Harms Honda DNK 1'51.981
13 Chris Walker Kawasaki GBR 1'52.114
14 Cristiano Migliorati Kawasaki ITA 1'52.157
15 Angel Rodriguez Yamaha ESP 1'52.174
21 David Salom Yamaha ESP 1'52.760

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 PM
7c Forever

MMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXIIIMMMUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! !!!!!!!!!!

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Qualifying 2 Report

QUALIFYING 2 REPORT 10/05/2008
Haga on front row as Corser battles on

Noriyuki Haga

Noriyuki Haga (Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team) rode superbly in Superpole to push himself onto the front row for Sunday's Superbike races at the classic Monza circuit. The Japanese star was double winner at Monza last year and is now in the perfect starting place to go for more wins to add to his Valencia victory and his Assen second place. Haga shares row one with Troy Bayliss, Max Neukirchner and Carlos Checa.

Troy Corser (Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team) is still trying to find the optimum set-up to match a Monza circuit that is proving to be bumpy and a real test this season. Corser was 12th in Superpole, 1.5 seconds from the winner Bayliss, who set a new track best of 1'44.931.

The weather conditions at Monza have been warm from the outset of first practice, but the 50 degree track temperatures have made the business of set-up complicated for all the teams.

Superpole qualification eluded the rest of Yamaha's main runners, with Team YZF Yamaha rider Shinichi Nakatomi 18th in regulation qualifying, Sebastien Gimbert (Yamaha GMT94) was 20th and young American substitute rider Michael Beck (Yamaha GMT94) was 29th, riding in place of the injured David Checa.

Noriyuki Haga (3rd - 1'45.665 - Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team)
"We have had problems with the general set up but we have been working hard to improve them through qualifying. Things feel a bit better now. We still need to find a little bit on the main straights. We need to have a bit more top end speed. For tomorrow, we need to make the most of our good starting position and get away with the front group."

Troy Corser

Troy Corser (12th - 1'46.496 - Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team)
"The bike feels very nervous still, we shortened it a bit in free practice and tried a few other things. Our set-up is not very forgiving right now and the bike flicks you around a bit on the bumps. It's not too bad but we need to find a set-up to push for the whole race. We have one choice of tyre we can use, and the duration is OK. The bump into Ascari was about half the size last year, and I think that's because of the cars pushing it up under braking. We are struggling in a few places on the bumps. We need to get off the line clean tomorrow, stay with them, and see where we end up."

Massimo Meregalli (Team Manager, Yamaha Motor Italia WSB Team)
"We had a lot of problems at Assen on Friday but like this weekend we got better and better as the race weekend went on. For me, Noriyuki starting on the first row is really important. For sure we are checking and analyzing the data to make some more improvements if possible. For Troy, starting from the third row is not so easy here, but with the slipstream it is less difficult here than some other circuits to pass. We cannot understand why we are slower than last year because the bike is even better this year. We must be positive and for tomorrow I am sure both Noriyuki and Troy will be racing to win."

Shinichi Nakatomi (18th - 1'46.944 seconds - Team YZF Yamaha)
"Today we tried a new setting and it was better right away. I went one second faster but then I had a high side in the final free practice session. Nothing is broken and tomorrow I should be OK. I hope to try and gain some points."

2008 WSB Italy - Monza 10/05/2008

Superpole Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Total Time

1 Troy Bayliss Ducati AUS 1'44.931
2 Max Neukirchner Suzuki GER 1'45.990
3 Noriyuki Haga Yamaha JPN 1'45.665
4 Carlos Checa Honda ESP 1'45.766
5 Yukio Kagayama Suzuki JPN 1'45.777
6 Ruben Xaus Ducati ESP 1'45.795
7 Fonsi Nieto Suzuki ESP 1'45.942
8 Ryuichi Kiyonari Honda JPN 1'45.975
9 Max Biaggi Ducati ITA 1'46.039
10 Karl Muggeridge Honda AUS 1'46.065
11 Regis Laconi Kawasaki FRA 1'46.216
12 Troy Corser Yamaha AUS 1'46.496
13 Michel Fabrizio Ducati ITA 1'46.533
14 Makoto Tamada Kawasaki JPN 1'46.549
15 Jakub Smrz Ducati CZE 1'46.749

Qualifying 2
Pos. Rider Nat. QUAL IQUAL II
1 Max Neukirchner GER 1'45.990 1'45.506
2 Regis Laconi FRA 1'47.089 1'46.126
3 Yukio KagayamaJ PN1'46.371 1'46.154
4 Noriyuki Haga JPN1'47.074 1'46.202
5 Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN1'47.246 1'46.314
6 Fonsi Nieto ESP1'46.990 1'46.332
7 Troy Corser AUS1'47.232 1'46.333
8 Troy Bayliss AUS1'46.359 1'46.673
9 Michel Fabrizio ITA1'46.814 1'46.390
10 Makoto Tamada JPN1'46.404 1'47.210
11 Ruben Xaus ESP1'46.915 1'46.409
12 Jakub Smrz CZE1'46.604 1'46.578
13 Karl Muggeridge AUS1'46.750 1'46.664
14 Kenan Sofuoglu TUR1'46.854 n/a
15 Carlos Checa ESP1'47.135 1'46.865
16?
17?
18 Shinichi Nakatomi JPN1'47.815 1'46.944
18?
20 Sebastien Gimbert FRA1'48.276 1'47.669

QUALIFYING 2 REPORT 10/05/2008
Parkes takes pole at Monza

Fabien Foret

Yamaha World Supersport Team riders Broc Parkes and Fabien Foret earned front row starts for Sunday's Monza WSS race, with Parkes taking pole and a new track record of 1'49.868 on his Yamaha YZF-R6. It was Parkes' second pole in succession and the third Yamaha pole of the 2008 season. It was also his sixth career pole win.

Parkes, carrying elbow, wrist and hand injuries, was unstoppable in the final qualifying session, beating the previous track best of second place qualifier Josh Brookes with the first ever Monza WSS lap under the 1'50 bracket.

Foret was just over one second from Parkes' impressive best and fully confident that his pre-race form would be able to be transferred to real race conditions on Sunday.

Massimo Roccoli (Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni) made the changes to his machine set up that he knew would be an improvement from those on day one, and subsequently joined Parkes and Foret on the front row, making it three Yamahas in the first four places.

Angel Rodriguez and David Salom (Yamaha Spain World Supersport Team) finished their Monza qualifying sessions 14th and 22nd respectively, finding day two a tough test in such a competitive field of 37 would-be qualifiers.

Broc Parkes

Broc Parkes (Pole - 1'49.868 - Yamaha World Supersport Team)
"That was a bit of a surprise because from Wednesday to now I have come a long way. I never expected the pole here after suffering some injuries. I knew the bike would be good here, and normally me too, but to get pole is unreal. I'm not sure about running race distance tomorrow, but every day so far I have been getting better, working with the Clinica Mobile. I haven't done many long runs so tomorrow we'll have to see what happens."

Fabien Foret (3rd - 1'50.420 - Yamaha World Supersport Team)
"Not fastest today but I am ready for the race. Taking a front row start was the main thing, and there is nothing wrong with our set-up. Nothing is ever perfect, of course, but we are ready to go. The race here is always like a freight train of people locked together, so I hope to be in this train. If I am, I'm sure I can be strong at the end of the race."

Wilco Zeelenberg (Team Manager, Yamaha World Supersport Team)
"We have to be happy with both riders on the front row and you can't expect more. We were there also in Assen but still we were not that happy after the race, so we should not cheer so loud right now. It will be a tough race; Pitt and Brookes will be there, because they have also done good lap times. But it was good to see that we could do our times here, in the afternoon, on our own, and the others couldn't be as sharp as we were in the warmer temperatures. It is not so easy for Broc but I am happy that he was able to come back and come back so strong. He has another night of rest so we will see how he is in the morning."

Massimo Roccoli

Massimo Roccoli (4th - 1'50.533 - Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni)
"Today was very good because we made a new front tyre choice and the bike was completely changed for the better. My best fastest lap was very satisfying, riding with Andrew Pitt. In Monza everyone has the opportunity to slipstream. I think tomorrow my bike and I will be able to fight for the win."

Angel Rodriguez: (14th - 1'51.532 - Yamaha Spain)
"I crashed again during the free session, because I was pushing to go faster and today I had a good engine. The track is amazing, very fast, but here the official bikes are just a bit too strong. Our bike is not bad, but with more acceleration we wouldn't have to take so many risks."

David Salom: (22nd - 1'52.643 - Yamaha Spain)
"I broke an engine after the first lap of qualifying and I had to ride with another for the rest of session. It is not bad but it lacks a little acceleration. We've been working on that. It's a shame, but tomorrow we'll do everything possible to be up ahead."

2008 WSS Italy - Monza 10/05/2008
Qualifying 2
Pos. Rider Nat. QUAL IQUAL II
1 Broc Parkes AUS 1'50.817 1'49.868
2 Joshua Brookes AUS 1'50.334 1'50.748
3 Fabien Foret FRA 1'50.774 1'50.420
4 Massimo Roccoli ITA 1'51.855 1'50.533
5 Jonathan Rea GBR 1'51.4111'50.747
6 Gianluca Vizziello ITA 1'51.497 1'50.800
7 Andrew Pitt AUS 1'50.969 1'50.823
8 Robbin Harms DNK 1'51.981 1'50.969
9 Mark Aitchinson AUS 1'52.737 1'51.004
10 Gianluca Nannelli ITA 1'51.361 1'51.229
11 Craig Jones GBR 1'51.392 1'51.296
12 Katsuaki Fujiwara JPN 1'51.963 1'51.357
13 Angel Rodriguez ESP 1'52.174 1'51.532
14 Barry Veneman NED 1'51.609 1'51.590
15 Joan Lascorz ESP 1'52.421 1'51.700
16?
17?
18?
19?
20?
21?
22 David Salom ESP 1'52.760 1'52.643

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

STANDINGS TOP 10

1 Bayliss 178
2 Checa 108
3 Corser 89
4 Nieto 85
5 Xaus 81
6 Haga 67
7 Neukirchne 66
8 Biaggi 54
9 Lavilla 48
10 Lanzi 42

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:27 AM
250 cc pilota.

Todays racing was absolutely great! Both SBK races and WSS as well. that Suzukis got some speed but Haga was really strong at certain parts of the track. Great to see him trail another rider as you know he will never surrender and he keeps his nike an inch from the one in front. Relentless but great to watch. Kiyonari did great in race two and anyone who have followed the EC for a while knows that Neukirchner is the real deal! Too bad Bayliss had the bike break down.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:11 PM
7c Forever

Max is certainly the real deal. I wonder if he'll migrate to GP, or stay where he's at, given the current political climate. I am kinda hopin he stays.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:27 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Max is certainly the real deal. I wonder if he'll migrate to GP, or stay where he's at, given the current political climate. I am kinda hopin he stays.
He has tried to get in to GPs but considering his current form and status in WSBK it would be foolish to leave. Good team, bike and starting to win races.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
7c Forever

thing is he'll never ever get a good ride in GP, wrong passport. I figure he's better off to stay where he's at and tell 'em where they can stick their satellite rides.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:48 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
thing is he'll never ever get a good ride in GP, wrong passport. I figure he's better off to stay where he's at and tell 'em where they can stick their satellite rides.
Exactly what I meant and he knows about the politics of GPs so I guess heŽll be around for a while.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:59 PM
7c Forever

it's kinda BS tho that a rider has to be spanish/italian or British/American to get a top level ride, and even the brits and yanks aren't exactly rolling around in the good stuff.

like... what happens if Mikka comes to 800gp? or what if Sofuoglu set the world on fire and wanted to move across? can you ever see a Finn or a Turk getting on a factory Honda or Yamaha or Ducati?

not to mention a swede or a caker.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Page is too big to post in one hit, check out the link guys.

http://www.yamaha-racing.com/Racing/...20number%20two

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
...and even the brits and yanks aren't exactly rolling around in the good stuff.
I think you forgot about the Repsol Honda...

And you're a bit too extreme on the nationality part... quite hard to be fair and spread 6 good factory seats over X amount of countries you know...

Back to topic, the Monza races were great, especially Race #2...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 AM

Monza was indeed great... I hope that Kiyonari continues to mature on the CBR1k.
Monza is the reason I like WSBK so much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode