Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
MotoGp 250cc goes 600cc?

Dont know if this is true or not, but we may find out this sat...
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...stobeunveiled/
French MotoGP: 250GP replacement rules to be unveiled

By Matthew Birt
MotoGP
15 May 2008 09:35

New four-stroke rules to replace the current two-stroke 250GP class for the 2011 season will be unveiled on Saturday afternoon at the French GP in Le Mans, MCN can reveal.
Widely expected to be 600cc, Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta will present draft rules for the new class at a meeting of the Grand Prix Commission at 12.15pm on Saturday.
Representatives from the International Race Teams Association and the Motorcycle Sport Manufacturers Association will then consider the rules before a further Grand Prix Commission is held at the Catalunya MotoGP next month.
The new rule is almost certain to be prototype 600cc, with MCN learning that no new team will be allowed to enter in the first season of the new format. That means the likes of experienced four-stroke tuners like the Ten Kate Honda squad would be barred from racing until the second season of the new class.
The proposal has met with widespread criticism, most notably from the likes of Aprilia and KTM, but Dorna boss Ezpeleta has been insistent on implementing another big rules shake-up for MotoGP.
Following the decision to axe 500cc two-strokes for 999cc four-strokes in 2002 and the subsequent change from 990cc to 800cc last season, the latest rule change is the third major switch in seven years.
IRTA boss Mike Trimby told MCN: “The proposal will be presented by Dorna and the FIM to the Grand Prix Commission. IRTA and the MSMA will take it away and think about it and vote at the next meeting.
“Because it is a technical rule the MSMA has the right of veto, but it is only a unanimous veto. Providing there is no unanimous veto and IRTA support it then it should be fairly plain sailing.
“This weekend we will know precisely what the proposal is. We obviously know roughly what it will be but everybody will go away and think about it, although a lot of people have already spent a lot of time doing this. In Catalunya they will come back and say yes or no.”
Asked when he thought the new rules would be implemented, Trimby added: “In the programme it is 2011, however if there is a good feeling about it the object would be then to implement for 2010.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 06:32 PM
No Crying Allowed

They were talking about this last year too.... time sneaks up on you I guess... the 2 stroke era is over...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:37 PM
jimmy crack corn

the one difference between now and the talk last year is the word prototype "prototype 600cc". I think the I think the original garbage some were talking about was a production engine and because it conflicts with the origins of gp they are now trying to get them to agree to build fourstroke bikes. I could be wrong or read it wrong but I think the idea of using production engines is dead and now they are going prototype and it may be a bit expensive for some teams.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:15 PM
7c Forever

good lord, if it happens I'll pull what's left of the plug on gp.

if I want to watch 4-strokes, I'll watch it in a class where there's one that I can buy and I can see the boys smashing fairings and hanging it sideways like supermoto. World supersport is the closest racing out there atm. 250gp is damned good too and I'm not keen to see it go the way that 990 and 800gp have gone.

Rules shake up? sure, pull out the twin cylinder and 6 speed gearbox limitations and let Honda come back with a 12 cylinder 250 4-stroke and yamaha show up with something with a 10 speed automatic transmission and a bike making 150hp.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Ask the Chief

hey...at least american "superbike" riders will have the proper displacement class to step into...

bah.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 AM

I think it may work, gang. I do feel for Aprilia & KTM though... Is Honda behind this so they can build a competitive bike in that class?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 11:56 AM
7c Forever

baahhhh I'm sure Honda is behind it. Sick of getting their ass whipped by the Euros.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 03:01 PM
250 cc pilota.

That is just so crap. They are really threading a fine line as with experience from MotoGP you know that the costs will increase, when they changed format for the biggest class the costs increased with around 400%. Dorna can not afford that to happen to the 250GP class as they need a striong field. The higher costs means that they need to find limitations in that department and a strictly regulated GP class sounds as much fun as a ice cold shower when you are about the hump the missus, well if you have a good loking one at least...

At todays press conference they said nothing about the format, as far as I could see, but some interesting facts was revealed.

`The MSMA had suggested to us that we finish with the 250cc two-strokes in 2010, and that we start a new four-stroke category in 2011. We will do that, and today we have simply proposed our opinion to the MSMA, FIM, and IRTA,´ commented Mr. Ezpeleta after submitting the proposal.

`We want the class to be competitive, cheaper and a prototype series. We already had some manufacturers announce that they would not be continuing to make two stroke machines, because of the production cost and the fact that they were not interested in making that kind of street bike. They aren´t developing this type of techonology and want to do other things.´

Whilst the new four-stroke category would replace the 250cc category, there are currently no plans to alter the format of the 125cc class.

The only good thing is that the japanese factories probably will be back with factory set ups again.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Gang Green

I'm for a change to 4 strokes. Very few manufacturers manufacture two stroke bikes anymore, why keep racing them?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 06:24 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
why keep racing them?
Because it's the most efficient way to do it.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Ask the Chief

that's funny JR...that's the same statement i keyed in on.

we want to make it CHEAPER, but PROTOTYPE. are these assholes really THAT delusional???? You can NOT have both.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:41 AM

oh wonderfull anutha grid with 18 bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode