Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

View Poll Results: In the face of new rules, Suzuki:
Are acting like babies 3 21.43%
Have a legitimate complaint 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

Daytona Motorsports Group has big plans for AMA race series

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Apr/080415x.htm

A group of Daytona Motorsports Group execs visited all four of the Japanese OEMs last week to discuss their plans for the 2009 AMA Superbike series and receive feedback on what the OEMs would like to see next season. CEO Roger Edmondson and his group visited Suzuki and Yamaha last Wednesday, and Kawasaki and Honda on Thursday.

The current plan is for the AMA Superbike weekend to undergo major changes. While Edmondson has repeatedly said that there won't be any kind of firm format to the series until later this week at Barber (after he meets again with the OEMs) the current plan seems to consist of a 600 Superbike class which would incorporate several different machine-types and also the MotoST series. Beyond those two classes, Edmondson seems open to discussion, but cautions that he currently has no interest in 600 Supersport or the out-going AMA Superstock class. Moreover, the series in 2008 may include a spec tire rule for all classes and also a spec fuel.

(The latter which should prove interesting on the tire front as Dunlop just signed up all the factory teams through 2009.)

"We went to see them in spite of there being other manufacturers in our sport of roadracing. Those four companies have from one degree or another supported the entirety of motorcycle racing, including Supercross and Motocross, in this country. I thought that they should be consulted. I felt that we should not go in there to tell them anything, only to answer questions and uncover what their fears and concerns were and at the same time learn what is important to them. I'm going to give an example, before we ever got there we had one of them (who looked) at our NASCAR genes and wondered if we were going to make them put carburetors on their bikes because there are carburetors on NASCAR cars. That made me realize that the level of anxiety was a lot higher than I thought."

"We went to visit Suzuki and Yamaha on Wednesday, and Kawasaki and Honda on Thursday. Each meeting I opened by thanking for gathering the group, making it clear that we were seeking a collegial relationship, not a continuation of the adversarial or difficult relationships of the past. And while we had a vision, we didn't want to jump out and present our vision without having an opportunity to temper it or modify it based on what they had to say."

Edmondson would not confirm that it happened at Suzuki, but it is widely known that his first stop, at Suzuki, his presentation and vision for the series were not received enthusiastically, to say the least.

"I felt that at three of the four companies their management people should be proud of the professionals running their race department. Obviously, that does not mean that they agreed with everything that we said. It means that we had a good, solid exchange of views that can only lead to better understanding of each others positions. Three of them made an effort to give us advice and where appropriate share concerns. And one didn't. One simply ... went off. Behavior of one of the four was, in my opinion, shameful."

He continued, "I made it clear that we are not in the motorcycle business. We're in the entertainment business, but that our businesses are inextricably joined at the hip. And what's good for them is good for us and vice-versa. Remember the context. We went there to seek counsel and guidance. We made it clear that our decisions would be taken after we had meetings with all of the companies. And for one of them to be on the phone calling the others before we were even out of the parking lot was totally out of line. That put paid to any perception that particular group of motorsport execs had any interest in working with us. They were clearly lining up against us, and that's not beneficial in the long term."

Regarding the content of the meetings Edmondson commented: "I didn't go there to lie or duck any questions. I was very honest. They asked what our plans were at this time were. I told them that we had no plans at this time to run Superstock next year, as it is canceled. And we had no plans at this time for 600 Supersport. However, I hope everyone keeps in mind the context—we're still finalizing our program at this time. We are making plans, not that we had a solid plan in place before we walked in there."

"At the moment we see two bookend classes and we will develop the rest," Edmondson said. "We will include the MotoST series and a new Superbike category using middleweight performance equipment with a wide variety of configurations. At one of the manufacturers there was a lot of consternation when we said this."

Three of the four manufacturers he spoke with want a 1000cc platform in the '09 series, Edmondson said, but one didn't seem to feel a 1000cc class was crucial. Whether the 2009 Superbike series will include a 1000cc Superbike class remains as yet unknown.

Based on the content of the meetings that Edmondson and his group had with the OEMs, he is taking a very close look at the proposed 2009 Superbike rules. At the same time he clarified that he wasn't committing to the proposed 2009 Superbike rules either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Gang Green

Roger Edmondson and the Daytona Motorsports Group debuted their current plans for the US Superbike series this afternoon at a meeting with many of the teams at Barber Motorsports Park.

Essentially, their plans are as follows: 600 Supersport and Superstock are "thanked for their service" and go the way of the dodo bird. The premier class becomes "Daytona Superbikes" which will include a very wide array of machinery from different manufacturers, from a BMW 1200 to a Japanese four-cylinder 600. Daytona Superbike will be horsepower limited and power to weight ratio limited--with the bikes being weighed with rider. Daytona Superbike will be regulated to improve parity and competition, including regular ECU exchanges.

The 2009 Superbike class, which many OEMs were concerned about being disbanded, returns with a new name--LiterBike--and essentially the 2009 Superbike rules that the teams worked on this year to formulate will apply. With a single tire rule and spec fuel as well. Each manufacturer will have to enter four riders in the class to be eligible.

The MotoST series will join the AMA Superbike series with three classes, keeping its spec tire, spec fuel and twin-cylinder rules in place.

Other additions will be the (Red Bull) Rookies Cup, rolling starts "where appropriate", fan activities and pre-race ceremonies.

Plans for a two day event seem to have been shelved, but Friday will little more than a half-day of practice sessions.

I saw Roger Edmondson for a moment in the museum this afternoon and he said that response from the teams was measured. His job now, he said, will be to take this to the promoters and get feedback from them.

Assuredly superficial yet semi-interesting note: The presentation which was shown to the teams used a modified 1990s-style AMA logo on it, with stars superimposed over the A's. It's a much better-looking logo than those that we saw after that.

More details as they emerge.

------

Blah! I think AMA is going to suck going forward, but I'll give them the benefit of doubt and watch next year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 PM

Wow I know we needed a change... but holy crap!!! NO SuperSport!!!
That was my fav AMA series...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
Wow I know we needed a change... but holy crap!!! NO SuperSport!!!
That was my fav AMA series...
Sounds like "superbike" may become more like the supersport you know...600cc and all. sounds like the class may become fairly restrictive.

post #5 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

The future is here...

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12163

The Daytona Motorsports Group outlined its plans for the AMA Road Racing Championship for 2009 and beyond in a meeting held with the teams this afternoon at the Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama - with the plan based on three major classes and a fourth spec-class.

The three classes will be Daytona Superbike, Literbike and Moto-ST, though it is not totally clear which class will be the headliner. The Daytona Superbike class, which will feature “two-cylinder, three-cylinder, and four-cylinder machines of similar performance,” will be run on both Saturday and Sunday, leading us to believe that it will be the featured event on the weekend.

According to the information shown to the teams, Daytona Superbikes will feature: 1. Homologated and available motorcycles; 2. Middleweight performance horsepower limits; 3. Targeted and specified power-to-weight ratio (combined rider and machine weights); 4. A single tire manufacturer; 5. A single fuel supplier; 6. Regular ECU (the black box) exchanges; and 7. Homologated, available, affordable aftermarket components only.

According to DMG, Daytona Superbikes will feature eligible motorcycles from 10 brands: Aprilia, BMW, Buell, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha.
Literbike will feature the following: 1. Manufacturer homologated motorcycles; 2. Industry/AMA developed rules for 2009 and 2010; 3. Single tire supplier; 4. Single fuel supplier; 5. Specified minimum participation level required to maintain eligibility; 6. Maximum participation level specified; 7. Professional riders.

What DMG calls a “Master or Class 1 license” is mandatory for both Daytona Superbike and Literbike.

Moto-ST will feature three classes run simultaneously with a spec tire and spec fuel rule, and all bikes will be twins - with two-man teams. Riders in Moto-ST are required to have what DMG calls a Class 1 or 2 license for the Super Sport Twins class (120 horsepower/400 pounds), while a Class 3 license is required for the Grand Sport Twins (90 horsepower/380 pounds) and the Super Sport Twins class (75 horsepower/360 pounds).

The events themselves will consist of three days. Fridays will be move-in day and will also feature a one-hour practice for Daytona Superbikes, a one-hour Literbike practice and a two-hour Moto-ST practice; Saturday will have practice and qualifying for all classes, the first of two Daytona Superbike races and a 250-mile Moto-ST race; Sunday will feature warm-up practice for Daytona Superbikes and the Rookies Cup (what DMG is currently calling its spec class), the second of two Daytona Superbike races, the Rookies Cup race and the Literbike race.

Other details released today include the fact that two-way radio systems will be mandatory; rolling starts will be used when appropriate and there will be “transparent rules enforcement.”

Stay tuned for more details to come…

post #6 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
7c Forever

120hp/400lbs, BBWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

so I'm guessing we'll see some "crazy high corner speed." then.

what a collosal joke, talk about bringing a knife to a fucking gunfight.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

DMG anounces 2009 literbike rules

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=32580

post #8 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM
phil-osepher

i predict 10+ pages of bantering on this thread, with self proclaimed subject matter experts and multi-quote nazi's going crazy trying to prove each other wrong! Well, maybe not, but we'll see

BTW, the rules suck.

post #9 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
phil-osepher

Aprilia RSV 4: OWNED
BMW S1000RR: OWNED
Buell 1125R: Double OWNED
Ducati 1098S
Honda CBR1000RR
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
KTM RC8: OWNED
MV F4312: mid pack maybe?
Suzuki GSX-R1000
Yamaha YZF-R1

post #10 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
No Crying Allowed

I like the rules....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:53 AM
phil-osepher

I guess I was talking about the entire restructuring of the racing series in general. I agree with Mat on a lot of his thoughts. Oh well, there is always MotoGP!

post #12 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 11:24 AM
jimmy crack corn

I'm kind of glad they are allowing the ducati 1098s and not the 1098r It will make it more interesting because the R is not a bike you see alot of at $40,000.00 it seems to be a bit too much of a unfair advantage in terms of trick stuff and hp output. If Ducati has the balls to field the S It would interesting.
the hp limitations make me wonder how the cheating game will be played or if it will show who is the best rider out there.
I am undecided on whether I like this or not but I understand why people dont like it . It could be a huge let down and somewhat boring to watch.

So why cant they just run this as the daytona 200 race if they are going to limit the hp to 185? maybe I am confused but are they still going to limit the 200 to formula extreme? is this liter bike class going to be the premier class at every other track. its is hard to understand what they are doing.

David
post #13 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
No Crying Allowed

Ya I'm not sure either but I do know it was time for a change imo so I'm welcoming the new rules and setup. I will give them a chance to make it right and actual racing rather then a two rider race.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM
jimmy crack corn

Aprilia Tuono

BMW HP2 Sport

Buell 1125R

Ducati 848

Ducati S4R

Honda CBR600RR

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R

KTM Super Duke

MV Brutale 910S

Suzuki GSX-R750

Suzuki GSX-R600

Triumph Daytona 675

Yamaha YZF-R6

as far as I can see this class limited to 140hp is called daytona superbike . Are they expecting us to consider this the premier class
if that is the case then I understand why Mladin is so pissed.
I would still watch the races if the literbike was the flagship race but the 600 class is completely gay. Its not just the 60hp drop it's the loss of the real glory that comes with the big bikes. I think if they were trying to do this 20 years ago when smaller bikes meant better handling , but now 1000cc bikes are nimble as 600's . I still am not sure if this is the way it is going to be promoted but I just cant see the big name racer and factory teams getting excited to ride a 600 at 140 hp. and the no name and privateers are going to be on a 185 hp literbike. Liter bike and Superbike - I dont get it.

David
post #15 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

i think there going to have alot of problems with the riders....185hp there not gonna like that especially with how much compairison talk there is between wsbk and ama sbk! its goin to be like mladin said crap riders or crap bikes because all the good riders will be looking else where for work with some bikes that are allowed to make power.

post #16 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:58 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
Ya I'm not sure either but I do know it was time for a change imo so I'm welcoming the new rules and setup. I will give them a chance to make it right and actual racing rather then a two rider race.
If it makes for closer racing that will be good, but just because Suzuki have been doing it for so well...so long...and everyone else can't catch up, how is that their fault?

Just goes to show, no good deed shall go unpunished.

post #17 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM
No Crying Allowed

^^ that's all bullshit imo, it will make for great racing. Racing is what makes fans watch it... so bring it on imo.

If Matt drops out then it will show he's not a racer..... if he is that good then why not stay and win????

|
|
|
|
post #18 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 01:01 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
If it makes for closer racing that will be good, but just because Suzuki have been doing it for so well...so long...and everyone else can't catch up, how is that their fault?

Just goes to show, no good deed shall go unpunished.
Sorry my post above was for the one above you

It's not anyones fault at all, it's just a way to level the playing field... which is a good thing. If you were racing against them you would love it too...

You might even see some private guys winning races now...

|
|
|
|
post #19 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM
jimmy crack corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
^^ that's all bullshit imo, it will make for great racing. Racing is what makes fans watch it... so bring it on imo.

If Matt drops out then it will show he's not a racer..... if he is that good then why not stay and win????
I understand and maybe agree with what you are saying . what if mladin has to choose between a hello kitty furry soft and sweet class called the superbike(600cc) class that is so weak that people like me dont want to watch it and the speed channel has to change its name to the slow channel in order to air the races, or his other choice is the class they call the literbike(1000cc) class which has limited factory support and hp not considered the premier class not the class the fans came to see . I could see moving on if that is his choice. fans want more than just close races they also want speed and performance. Maybe I dont understand the format yet but I think if Mladin wants to race in the USA he now has little choice but to race the 140hp superbike class . if that is true it seems kind of weak to me. If I understand the structure why would Suzuki pay him to run the premier class. actually why would any big company pay their riders to race in a "minor league" race.

David
post #20 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
I think the KTM will do pretty good. They are started off pretty slow in the mx world too; but they are pretty much unbelievable bikes now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode