Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wsbk Faster Then Ama Sbk

Ben Spies admited to the wsbk bikes being faster then their bikes in a interview....i found that intresting because i was sure the yosh bikes where faster then the alstare bikes.... anyway heres the article

.....Asked if he wished both championships were running the same track so that they could better measure up, Spies remarked, "You'd like to, but it's too many different possibilities. Obviously we're going faster every time we've been to a track this year than we did last year. Our bike's 10 horsepower up on what is was last year and their bikes are about 6mph up on what my bike is this year. Their bikes are definitely faster and they do have qualifiers. There's no way really to compare. The track record the way it was set, the bikes were way slower than what they're going. But you never know whose tires work better. Ours might work better. You can't compare. I think that's why the 'Qs were brought here -- to throw down in the first and third split to compare but they threw in another little loop so you can't really do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 AM
No Crying Allowed

Well the times are showing that WSBK bikes are much faster....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
what times the ones theyre putting down this year at mmp?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:34 AM
No Crying Allowed

They are running different routes at miller, but section times tell you a little of who's doing what.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
They are running different routes at miller, but section times tell you a little of who's doing what.
well ama ran that same course last year but according to spies there up 10hp from last year and the wsbk bikes r still faster but i would think thats the best way to judge... the times from last year vs wsbks from this year...but i think thats wat there gonna do

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
bikes or riders?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 AM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggog View Post
bikes or riders?
Both?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:01 AM
7c Forever

well enough with the heresay, lets get some numbers.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 PM

http://www.2wheelife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4211

Quote:
Comparing World Superbike lap times to AMA lap times this weekend is difficult if not impossible. The World stars are running the 3.048-mile configuration the AMA has run in the past, but the Americans are running the full configuration this year, which is just shy of 4.5 miles.

Going back in time, Ben Spies' lap record on the shorter course is 1:49.167 set in 2006, compared to Carlos Checa's Superpole time of 1:48.883 yesterday.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
No Crying Allowed

So all in all AMA in 2007 ran the course that WSBK did in 2008, so tak into account that the AMA bikes are a tad faster this year then last and there you have it... but it's still not fast enough to be on par with the WSBK bikes... I would guess about 2-4 seconds a lap faster based on the times of last year for AMA and this year for WSBK and taking into account the improved pace this year on other tracks for AMA.

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM
7c Forever

'07 fast lap in practice was Spies with a 1:49.407

Checa's superpole time was 1:48.883

Fast lap from the races in '07 superbike was Mladin with a 1:49.830

and in WSBK '08 it's Checa with a 1:49.703

both those times where set in race 2, if you compare race 1 then the AMA guys where faster last year than WSBK was this year.

so figure it's about .1-.2 difference between AMA last year and WSBK this year.

now to compare AMA last year to this year, Barber this year Spies turned a 1:24.609 in practice, and last year it was 1:24.735, so figure they're about a tenth of a second a lap on a shorter course faster, god only knows how that compares to miller tho, it's all just an educated guess.

just looking at the numbers tho it looks to me like they're within 0.1, which would put the Yosh boys on the front row if they could make it thru superpole in 1 piece.

But I wanna be the first one to say this isn't even close to a level comparison, WSBK guys get Q's in qualifying, they've got a spec tire in the race (AMA doesn't) they'll be on different fuels, the Alstare Suzuki's are up almost 10mph on the yosh bikes, which says to me that they've either got more gear, better aero, or more power, god knows what.

Here's where all the info can be found.

AMA
2007 Results
2008 Results

WSBK
2008 Resullts

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:06 PM

Has anyone mentioned that the WSBK riders had never seen the place prior to the weekend?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:18 PM
7c Forever

I didn't, but I should, and I should also mention for the guys that don't follow AMA, that it's a new track and last year was the first that the AMA boys saw it either. Altho iirc they tested on a partial circuit while it was still under construction in pre-season '07.

mind you it's still a stupid comparison to try to make, I think the tires alone are a big enough difference to discount any real results. I mean you can play the "add a little, take a little" game, but it's far from quantitative.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 PM

Agreed.

So how many days until we get to see Spies on the GSVR in anger?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 PM
7c Forever

for his sake I hope to god he avoids that POS like the f*cking plague.

actually I'm secretely hoping that Yosh throw a tantrum and go WSBK with the Mat and Ben show. If there's anything that I've observed in the last 15 years or so of 500's, 990's, and now 800's, it's that if you don't have the right package, it doesn't make a like of difference how good a rider you are. I mean Rossi's the exception that proves the rule there, I don't think anyone expects Spies to be of Rossi's calibre and able to fight that hard uphill. And Rossi didn't pick Suzuki either.

MAYBE if he got on a Yamaha or a Repsol Honda, even Marly Ducati's seem to be a bit of a trap these days. On a Suzuki or Kawasaki or satellite Honda? it's career suicide.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
for his sake I hope to god he avoids that POS like the f*cking plague.

actually I'm secretely hoping that Yosh throw a tantrum and go WSBK with the Mat and Ben show. If there's anything that I've observed in the last 15 years or so of 500's, 990's, and now 800's, it's that if you don't have the right package, it doesn't make a like of difference how good a rider you are. I mean Rossi's the exception that proves the rule there, I don't think anyone expects Spies to be of Rossi's calibre and able to fight that hard uphill. And Rossi didn't pick Suzuki either.

MAYBE if he got on a Yamaha or a Repsol Honda, even Marly Ducati's seem to be a bit of a trap these days. On a Suzuki or Kawasaki or satellite Honda? it's career suicide.
I don't think SBK riders are really in Honda's sights atm... least of all for a factory ride.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 PM
7c Forever

yea, Colins seat is the only yamaha seat I see becoming available, and even that is a stretch and I doubt Spies would be high on the list.

GP isn't the place for him, take a couple years in WSBK, get a world championship or 2 under your belt and then talk about moving up.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:22 AM

Yeah, you're probably right. Jumping straight into MotoGP, if the results dont come fairly quickly (as they did for Stoner/Lorenzo) you'll be considered damaged goods and branded a SBK rider for the remainder of your career.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM
7c Forever

ya exactly. And I'm not trying to knock on the guy, but I think instant results on a Suzuki GP bike is asking more than he can deliver. Shit I think that's asking more than anyone can deliver.

I mean would the good results have come quuick for Stoner/Lorenzo on a 'zuk?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode