Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
"Classic Races" ... Suggestions

You guys are a wealth of information and opinions regarding most forms of bike racing so I'm asking here first.

A friend of mine in Taiwan recently opened a bar where he can show live sports, racing etc along with downloaded stuff.
I introduced him to MotoGp and WSBK las year when we were working together and he was a fast learner and really started to get 'into it', even bought himself a little 150 c.c street bike and started doing track days with it at the local 'track'.

Anyway I send him a d/l link to the 2008 I.o.M TT the other day and he asked if i could recommend any other classic races for him to d/l and show at his bar. I don't even know where to start; Macau is always good but here's my question to you:

Which races would YOU recommend and promote as being true 'Classics' ... any time frame or series is OK.
Let's just keep it to road racing though.

Thanks guys.

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Most races with schwantz, rainey, doohan, etc.. early 90's late 80's
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
7c Forever

the first phillip island race is a favourite of mine, suzuka '88 is another great one. for old stuff. Rio '99 was phenominal, Estoril '06, ANY Daytona 200.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 PM
PCP

Or even the DVDs "Faster" "Faster and Faster" "The Doctor, the Tornado, and the Kentucky Kid"
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Yeah, I know he's seen the 'Faster' series and the Doctor the, etc, etc but the others are all good sugestions; what about WSBK, I know there were some classic races between Bayliss and C.E. Also between Foggy and everyone else; any thoughts on the best of the best?

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
7c Forever

Imola 2002 for WSBK was a killer.

Seeing Russel crash, remount and still cream Foggy and the Ducati at Daytona in 1994? was definitely the most gratifying race moment I've ever been part of.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Which was the one where Foggy and Chili were slicing up all over the place and then on the last lap, last corner Chili tucked the front and went down giving Foggy the win?
THAT was freakin' awesome racing.

OR the one where al the WSBK boys were crashing on the oil in the fast left and C.e started chucking stones at track in frustration.

Or...

So many to choose from.

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
7c Forever

Hockenheim, 1999 or so? for the colin flinging rocks one.

the Foggy and Chili one I couldn't tell ya, I wasn't following it at that time.

Nurburgring 1990, Chili and Mick, LMAO.

iirc tho it was during FP.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Last edited by Junior; 06-10-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 PM
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
Which was the one where Foggy and Chili were slicing up all over the place and then on the last lap, last corner Chili tucked the front and went down giving Foggy the win?

OR the one where al the WSBK boys were crashing on the oil in the fast left and C.e started chucking stones at track in frustration.

Or...

So many to choose from.
Sent you a PM, did you see it?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Wow!!
Synchronised highsiding ... isn't that an Olympic sport or am i thinking of something else?
Those are some seriously gay looking leathers on P.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Sent you a PM, did you see it?
Yup.

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:15 AM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post

Or...

So many to choose from.
That was at Assen some time late nineties or early 2000. Cant remember, Foggy and Chili that is.

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM

Philip Island 2000 and 2001 in 500GP was realy good races.

The best battles and crazyest races can be in 125GP. One example from Mugello 1999. And this is only the last lap!
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 AM
No Crying Allowed

you might want to stay in the last 10 years or so......... many people will have no interest watching races when they have no clue who the people are... If it's a bar sceene or pub the the odds are they are younger...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Hockenheim, 1999 or so? for the colin flinging rocks one.

the Foggy and Chili one I couldn't tell ya, I wasn't following it at that time.
Actually the rock flinging was 1999 at Nurburgring according to a clip I found on Youtube and the Foggy and Chili last lap clash was 1998 Assen.

Awesome stuff but don't know if he'll be able to find them anywhere to download.

Maybe we should expand on the OP and ask which races people consider the best they've ever seen or 'classic races'?

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:44 AM

Maybe some Macau races and some highlights of the Suzuka 8 hours would also be a good idea, especially since his bar is in Taiwain
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
7c Forever

my top 5:

the Daytona where Russel crashed, remounted and won over Foggy.

Suzuka '88, Rainey and Schwantz busting onto the scene and trying to prove who's got what.

Brazil '99, Abe, Roberts, Biagge duking it out till the wire, honest to god this is probably the most exciting race I've ever seen.

Estoril '06, same deal but with Roberts Rossi and Elias. Same kind of "what the hell, a backmarker won the race from the 4th row, surprising his competitors, himself, his boss, and pretty much everyone else."

Last one is reserve for the Mat and Ben show, I"ll be damned if I can pick out one particular race that did it for me tho. Maybe Daytona in '06 with that wild draft manuever Mat pulled at the line, or VIR last year? if it's just playing in the background that'd be good to play, 'cause people won't know who the 2 are, the odds of hearing the standard "it's boring, you know a Yosh suzuki will win" isn't likely since they won't KNOW that, they'll just know they see 2 guys going at it hammer and f*cking tong, not giving each other an inch.

as far as keeping it recent, if it's just playing at a bar, I don't think it matters what time period it's from, people won't be able to tell. I mean maybe if you break out Ago and the dustbin fairings they'll be able to tell that it's not recent, but even Sheene and Roberts era, the bikes looked basicly the same as they do now, to a lamen.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Good stuff guys.
Thanks.

Here's the e-mail I sent him:

OK Robby here's what I've got for ya; bear I mind that I have no idea if you'll actually be able to find these races anywhere but they are true 'Classic' races

World Superbike (WSBK)

1999 Monza - amazingly close finish

1998 Assen - A scrap to the last corner of the last lap; constant passing -

2000 Hockenheim - Great tight race

1999 Nurburgring - an oil spill destroys the race but officials don't warn the riders; Carl Fogarty takes out a slower rider

2002 Imola - Troy Bayliss and Colin Edwards put on a show (actually pretty much all the races this year were amazingly entertaining)

MotoGP

Assen 2006 - A great race that ends in heartbreak for Colin Edwards

Jerez 2005 - The battle between Valentino Rossi and Sete Gibernau; the races between the two of 'em were amazing - they HATED each other

Phillip Island 2004 - amazing last few laps Rossi v Gibernau again

Highlight Videos of different years are always good 2004 and 2006 were great years in MotoGP and WSBK in the late 90's and early 2000's were pretty damn good too.

Some other suggestions (can't be arsed to look for clips)

Suzuka '88, Rainey and Schwantz busting onto the scene and trying to prove who's got what.

Brazil '99, Abe, Roberts, Biagge duking it out till the wire

Estoril '06, same deal but with Roberts Rossi and Elias. A backmarker won the race from the 4th row, surprising his competitors, himself, his boss, and pretty much everyone else

Anyway, hope that helps.
Have fun

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

One thing that searching around looking for great races has shown me is that Colin Edwards .. for all his lack of wins in MotoGP ... has been involved in some fuckin' AWESOME races over the years.

I may have to start cutting him a bit of slack....

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Trust me, I'm a Ninja

Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin
I thought this was a Yamaha forum....

Welkom, S.A. GP 2003

USMC: We put the "laughter" back in Slaughter.

Last edited by Ronin; 06-11-2008 at 08:05 PM.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I thought this was a Yamaha forum....

Welkom, S.A. GP 2003
it's not, and I think you mean 2004.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode