Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Exclamation Ben Spies to replace Capirex for Donnington [CONFIRMED]

Loris Capirossi´s manager Carlo Pernat and the Rizla Suzuki team have both confirmed that the veteran Italian rider will be unavailable to ride at Donington in the bwin.com British Grand Prix on the 20th-22nd June weekend, due to the hand injury he sustained at Catalunya on Sunday.

Capirossi is also doubtful for Assen the following week, but Suzuki intend to run two bikes there and in England, with an announcement to be made within the next 48 hours on who the substitute rider for Donington will be.

Two names firmly in the frame are those of Suzuki test rider Nobu Aoki and American AMA Superbike Champion Ben Spies – who is set to test and make wildcard appearances for Suzuki later this year, but could now get his hands on the GSV-R earlier than expected.

Pernat said, `Loris will definitely miss Donington but he could be fit for Assen a week later so the intention is for him to try and return then. He has met with Dr Costa today in Italy and they are pleased with the way the injury looks already.´

Capirossi suffered an awkward finger break when he crashed out of the Gran Premi Cinzano de Catalunya MotoGP race on Sunday, after a coming together with Alex de Angelis.

Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Team Manager Paul Denning said, `We intend to run two bikes at Donington and Assen because it is important for the Championship. We will confirm who our replacement rider is on Friday, but from the way things look with the injury Loris might be back at Assen

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 PM
No Crying Allowed

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm This will be good...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga

I'm sure he is going to win

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
7c Forever

I'm interested to see how he compares to Vermulean, who very nearly bagged the WSBK championship a couple years ago.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
They will be fighting for 15 and 16

post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:40 PM
7c Forever

without a doubt.

And hopefully Ben learns that this aint the place to go

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:06 PM
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
without a doubt.

And hopefully Ben learns that this aint the place to go
At least not on the Suzuki unfortunately... but it will still be fun to watch him ride.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 PM
7c Forever

yea it will be.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Mat

I think Ben may struggle in comparison to Verm at Donington. Verm got a podium last time out, If my memory serves me right. Ben will have to learn the track and adapt to the bike in the space of 3 days.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 PM
No Crying Allowed

Well I agree with pcp... he needs a better bike then the Suzuki but that's not going to happen

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Gang Green

This is confirmed now, Suzuki put out a press release a few hours ago.

post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 AM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
At least not on the Suzuki unfortunately... but it will still be fun to watch him ride.

I'm glad Ben got a ride, heck that is cool for anyone. Unfortunately, unless the camera pans deep into the field you wont get to watch him ride anything...

post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 PM

He will get some first hand knowledge he can carry with him to Indy and Laguna though!!!
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
I dont inhale

good for him he sure is riding like a man on fire right now

post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 PM
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
I'm glad Ben got a ride, heck that is cool for anyone. Unfortunately, unless the camera pans deep into the field you wont get to watch him ride anything...
Yeah I know I sure as hell wouldn't be picky if someone said "hey how about a ride" Especially with the uncertainties in AMA right now. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would give him a ride besides Suzuki though
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Rizla Suzuki have confirmed that Ben Spies will step in for Loris Capirossi at the bwin.com British Grand Prix.

AMA Superbike star Ben Spies has been confirmed as Rizla Suzuki´s replacement rider for next weekend´s bwin.com British Grand Prix, standing in for the injured Loris Capirossi. The 23 year-old thus brings forward his MotoGP debut, originally scheduled for the series´ two American visits to Laguna Seca and Indianapolis.

Spies has been long associated with Suzuki, for whom he rides in the stateside superbike series. He tested the 2007 GSV-R in the first post-season test at Valencia last year, and has expressed his desire to ride full time in MotoGP with Suzuki machinery.

On his unexpectedly early debut, Spies was understandably thrilled. `I was excited that my first GP was to be at Laguna Seca in the States, but I´m now more excited by this! I think this will be a good thing for me to start out at Donington; it is a track I don´t know so I have no pressure.

`I haven´t done any testing on the bike or with race and qualifying tyres so I am not really expected to do anything much, so I can just go out there and learn how everything works and enjoy the event. This will be good for when we get back to the wildcard races in Laguna and Indianapolis because I know those tracks and I´ll have some knowledge of the bike and be able to put my head down and go for it there,´ explained Spies, who also acknowledged that his opportunity does not come under ideal circumstances.

`This is great for me to get the chance, but it is in an unfortunate way that I am there because of the injury to Loris and I wish him all the best on a full recovery. I hope I can represent everybody really good and just want to go out there and have some fun´

The man whom he will substitute also fired out a warning to the rest of the MotoGP field as he commented on his expected return. Capirossi intends to return in two weeks time for the Dutch round of the World Championship.

`I´m really disappointed not to be racing at Donington as it is the team´s home Grand Prix and I know there will be a lot of fans there that have come to see us. I tried to get fit and although Dr Costa says the break is healing well, it won´t be good for me to race there as it won't be strong enough. So I hope to be back for Assen. I wish Ben all the best on his debut, but he shouldn´t get too comfortable on my bike because I want it back soon!´

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:14 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
I think Ben may struggle in comparison to Verm at Donington. Verm got a podium last time out, If my memory serves me right. Ben will have to learn the track and adapt to the bike in the space of 3 days.
In soaking wet weather he will struggle compared to Vermeulen but in the dry I am not too sure that Chris will keep Ben behind him, he has to if he wants to stay at Suzuki.

post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:45 AM
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
I wish Ben all the best on his debut, but he shouldn´t get too comfortable on my bike because I want it back soon!´
nice!

I like the way Ben is thinking though about just taking it "easy" at Donnington and trying to formulate a good race setup for Laguna.
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 AM

Barring any bike problems, Verm will drop Spies pants at Laguna ... not a problem.
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggog View Post
Barring any bike problems, Verm will drop Spies pants at Laguna ... not a problem.

Har, Har, Har

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode