Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

View Poll Results: Are you concerned with the size of the MotoGP grid?
I am 7 53.85%
I am not 5 38.46%
my head hurts, show me the answers 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
7c Forever

MotoGP Grid size

ok guys, time for a poll. personally I was pretty alarmed to see only 13 bikes finish at Catalunya.

so, does the size of the grid bother you? do you think Dorna needs to take some action here?

if so, what do you think said action should be?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:46 AM
No Crying Allowed

What action do you suggest they take?

I believe 20 bikes started no? If they DNF'd then what can dorna do?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:48 AM
No Crying Allowed

I guess it's less then 20... I just found this as well?

Quote:
MotoGP's chief thinks the sport does not need much bigger grids to maintain its position as motorcycle racing's premier category.

Although the future of Team Roberts remains uncertain, Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta has made it clear he is unconcerned if only the 18 confirmed entries make it to the grid in 2008.

"In 2008 we'll probably have 18 bikes and for me this number is enough to guarantee a spectacle," said Ezpeleta in an interview with Italian magazine Motosprint. "If one day we'll get to have 20 or 22 it will be fine, but we don't need much more."

Ezpeleta claims that the satellite operations in MotoGP are very important for the future, even as he eyes greater involvement from the manufacturers.

"They (satellite teams) make sense if they are tied to the manufacturers, but they all are more or less. Obviously, it's unlikely a customer team can win the title, but the work they do is fundamental.

"That's why we help them, financially too, and we are looking for solutions to help them more and more. I'm also working towards having Suzuki and Kawasaki building more bikes in 2009 and 2010, so that they too will have a satellite team."

Ezpeleta has also praised the input that Valentino Rossi has had in making MotoGP popular, as well as driving forward safety improvements.

"We have enormous luck in having Valentino Rossi. I'm not just talking about him as a rider. I'm talking about his effort in making motorcycling grow, improve, and becoming safer.

"He says what he thinks, whether you like it or not, and he does that with us too. Since he is an intelligent guy, he knows how to help us improve things. When they tell me I'm a fan of Valentino, I can't hide: I am a fan of Valentino... for everything he's done for our sport, at all levels."

credit : http://www.autosport.com

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Ask the Chief

Of course I'm concerned.

Go back to 2001, and take a look at the number of manufacturers, sponsors, riders, and bikes there were on the grid. I was just looking thru an issue of Classic Racer today at pictures of the 2001 Paton 500GP bike. Efforts like that don't exist anymore.

Again, using WSBK as the example, the bikes, sponsors and riders are coming back. Have been for a few years now. MotoGP could glean a bit of insight from watching the superbike series. We were talking about MotoGP going south last year, and things have gotten worse with the departure of Roberts and crew.

Of course, it's a product of it's own rules. It's a prototype series. Technology has become incredibly complicated, and you can see that reality in several different areas including aircraft, vehicles, ships, robots, etc. The days of 8 million dollar combat jets are gone....replaced by obscenely-priced raptors ($200 million +). Instead of 2000 F-4s pointed at the enemy, we now have 188 raptors. We can't afford the technology in great numbers, and neither can motorcycle manufacturers.

Think about how much it cost to replace a YZR-500 in 1998....now look at the cost of replacing a 2008 M1. An M1 costs as much as a helicopter! Shit....look at Honda and DeDumpiet....IMAGINE the mint they spend on parts, frames, bodywork, etc. Insane.

I don't believe things will change in MotoGP unless the rules change to make things more cost-friendly. Unfortunately, that will never happen. At some point, the manufacturers may wake up and realize they can't justify the cost to continue racing prototype motorcycles that they don't actually sell.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
7c Forever

I'm not sure there's a whole lot that can be done, just kinda curious as to what other people are thinking about it. Or if they're thinking about it at all.

The rules state that the 34 fastest qualify for the race. Personally I'd love to see that limit actually come into play, which it hasn't since the mid to late 90s as far as I can recall.

I dunno if Dorna can do anything, but a production racer would sure be nice, the only proddy racer I can think of right now is the fancy 1098. current FIM rulebook forbids proddy racers tho... kind of a catch 22.

yea Mark, you're not wrong. I think it all kinda turned this direction when WCM got their asses kicked out for using production based parts in their 990. THAT was a budget bike, and it was never challenging for the championship, but it was running around and getting points, keeping people honest. There wasn't this "crash out, rejoin 3 laps down and get some points." that we see today. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but for the sub 50k that that bike cost to build it'd sure be an effective little package to offer up to guys like R.L.Hayden or even Scott Jensen, pick it up for a wildcard appearance, maybe qualify and run around, get some exposure on the world seen.

in '98 Yamaha would sell anybody with a race license a YZR500, just like an R7, if you could afford it, they'd hook you up, and it was in the neighbourhood of 100 grand. Expensive forsure, but ~1/10th what we're paying today. And stupid as it sounds, if that bike was allowed to run it'd still be able to finish on the lead lap in the right hands.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Last edited by Junior; 06-14-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:24 AM
Ask the Chief

well....sure. you CAN score points three laps down when you're ANT WEST and there's only 12 other bikes left on the track.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
7c Forever

ya this is exactly my point.

No disrespect to Westy, but I don't really think that ride was worthy of points, know what I mean? or the Ilmor last year, coming in for repairs TWICE at Valencia and still scoring points.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:23 PM

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done, unless you mess with the rules. And once you do that, then you start chipping away at the freedoms of prototype racing.

But if the sport starts suffering to the point that intervention of the rules is needed then I am all for it...

Let's just hope if that ever happens that its not too late...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 02:39 PM
250 cc pilota.

Of course it is a problem but what can be done is a very hard nut to crack.
Less than 20 bikes finishing is not good. IŽd like to see Suzuki and Kawasaki step up to the plate and field two more bikes - if Ducati can afford it then surely the "smaller japanese" factories should be able to.
That would get us 22 riders per weekend and an even stronger field.

When you have really good team bosses like Sito Pons being unable to get machines/sponsors and others like Aspar trying to get in but haveing a hard time you know there is a problem.
These two guys are capable of running race winning teams - no doubt.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
i was disappointed to see ilmor be nothing more than a flash in the pan... would be great to see ktm, aprilia and other such marques up in motogp... realistically, you'd be expecting bmw to be there before those two, more of an issue of pride than dollars for bmw

prejudices are what fools use for reason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode