Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Arrow MotoGP >> Hayden gets pneumatic for Donington!

Seems like some of you are wrong again about Dani's special treatment at Honda...

MotoGP Hayden gets pneumatic for Donington!

Thursday, 19th June 2008

HRC had said it was unlikely to be ready in time, but Nicky Hayden will make his pneumatic-valve grand prix debut at Donington Park.

By Mike Nicks

Repsol Honda's 2006 world champion Nicky Hayden will ride the factory's new pneumatic-valve RC212V all through practice, qualifying and racing during the three days of the British MotoGP at Donington Park, Crash.net has learned.

The 26-year-old American will have two of the new high-revving bikes at his disposal, and will not alternate between the pneumatic-valve machine and the existing valve-spring factory bike.

"Nicky had a good feeling with the bike when he tested it for two days after the last grand prix at Barcelona," a Repsol Honda spokesperson said.

Hayden also has nothing to lose by trying what must still be regarded within HRC as an experimental design, as he holds only ninth place in the MotoGP championship and is out of contention for this year's world title.

His team-mate Dani Pedrosa, however, will use the valve-spring RC212V throughout the weekend.

The HRC crew has honed his 800cc V4 into a highly competitive bike, even though it is the only one of the four Japanese designs on the grid that still relies on valve-spring technology.

Pedrosa has already won two races on the bike this year, and is only seven points behind leader Valentino Rossi, on the Fiat Yamaha, in the title chase.

Also, Pedrosa was able to sample the pneumatic engine for only 10 laps at the Barcelona session before his testing was halted when he crashed, although this happened after he had switched to the valve-spring bike for tyre tests.

HRC test rider Tady Okada, who gave the pneumatic machine its grand prix debut at Mugello two races ago, said that the engine revs 1,000rpm higher than the existing machine, and that the bike a significant top speed advantage on tracks with long straights.

Hayden, who carried out the majority of winter testing with the pneumatic and is known to prefer the RCV's handling characteristics when using the new engine, will become the first Repsol Honda factory rider to run the bike in a MotoGP race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:06 AM
PCP

Interesting....

So who thinks he's going to do better on this bike compared to his current one? Obviously Pedrosa isn't having an issue with the equipment, so is any "more power" going to really benefit Nicky? I haven't really read up much on Hayden and don't follow Honda really other than what I hear during the races, but what honestly do you think screwed him up so bad? Going from the 990s down to the 800s?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
...but what honestly do you think screwed him up so bad? Going from the 990s down to the 800s?
The riding style, NH's style suits more SBK than current GP bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 06:08 AM
jimmy crack corn

yep , the 800 has been described as more like a 250 two stroke , more lean angle less brakes more corner speed less power, lighter. less rear wheel steer which hayden is used to with his flat track background.
Rossi has more rear bias with the tires he is running now, but he and most the others at the front have a 250gp background.
I really don't think that is the only reason Hayden is lacking , and this move as test rider for the pneumatic valves is a smart team move .

David
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 06:26 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
but what honestly do you think screwed him up so bad? Going from the 990s down to the 800s?
the fact that he sucks and can't be competative unless he's got the only reliable bike on the grid?

:flamesuit

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 06:55 AM
jimmy crack corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
the fact that he sucks and can't be competative unless he's got the only reliable bike on the grid?

:flamesuit
your going to need that flamesuit lol. - but not from me.
Nicky is riding the less reliable bike, its funny to me that honda doesnt want to put pedro on the pneumatic bike because they are unsure it can finish the race. It is logical to put the less productive rider on the less reliable bike ,especially when the championship is on the line. I find it comical that honda had "electrical" problems with the last test run. the real question is what happened to Honda.

David
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:43 AM
No Crying Allowed

It will be interesting to see how he improves... or if he improves.

It's also a no brainer with Pedrosa 7 point behind vale, not taking any chances is a smart move imo.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
It will be interesting to see how he improves... or if he improves.

It's also a no brainer with Pedrosa 7 point behind vale, not taking any chances is a smart move imo.
^exactly why would honda switch bikes on him when he's 7 points behind rossi

hayden is no where near the top he should switch bikes

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:00 AM
jimmy crack corn

oh do I agree , I was saying honda shouldn't be having so such a fit keeping up with every one else . I said it is logical to put the championship first . I can't believe honda would put themselves in a position where people on the outside are betting their pneumatic bike wont finish the race. it is not at all like the old honda I remember.

David
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:06 PM

I don't think not finishing the race with the pneumatic engine is the issue. It already finished an actual gp race in mugello without problem. The issue had always been the power delivery. It was too aggressive and what they've been working on is in the electronic parts of it to tame it down a bit so it can put the power down more effectively.

Last edited by small-g; 06-20-2008 at 07:11 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Ask the Chief

i wish him luck. looks like the bike suits him well.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 PM

Here's a quote from superbikeplanet.com from Nicky regarding the new engine.

Nicky Hayden, 2nd fastest, 1m 28.829s

"Everything went relatively smooth today, though conditions were a little bit chilly, a little bit dirty. Honestly I've got to thank HRC. I told them that I really wanted to use the pneumatic-valve engine here, so they worked some on the electronics and the guys said I could use it, so long as I was going to be in the top three or four! I was second this afternoon and fifth this morning, so that kinda evens out, do the math. Sure, Stoner's going quick and we've got some work to do to get with him but overall the bike is working good, so thanks to HRC and the team for delivering. The engine is pretty aggressive, but I like to go somewhere when I open the throttle, I like something to happen. It's a little bit quicker, so it's nice to be up near the front of the trap speeds. I was fourth from the top today, even though this is only a small, fifth-gear straight. I also had a new chassis today which felt better, it's a little bit of an improvement stability-wise."

This confirms the engine is still aggressive and there's still work to be done electronically to tame it down. Apparently, Nicky likes the aggressive character of it.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:15 PM
7c Forever

Tady can deal with gnarly power alot better than any of the young'ens can IMO. Guy rode Mick's super-screamer 500. 90* firing order, that thing was gnarly. Even Mick didn't want to keep it, Mick went back to semi-screamer 180* (cylinders 1,3 fire together, then 2,4) but Tady preferred the demon bike.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
jimmy crack corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by small-g View Post
I don't think not finishing the race with the pneumatic engine is the issue. It already finished an actual gp race in mugello without problem. The issue had always been the power delivery. It was too aggressive and what they've been working on is in the electronic parts of it to tame it down a bit so it can put the power down more effectively.
I was thinking of pedrosa's only chance to ride it being cut out because the bike had a strange "electrical" problem, one that may or may not have been an actual electronic failure but seemed like something other than an adjustment problem because it was pulled out of commission.
actually I forgot about he bike being run by that japanese rider at the previous race and actually am impressed how well Hayden is doing currently on the bike.

David
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Tady can deal with gnarly power alot better than any of the young'ens can IMO. Guy rode Mick's super-screamer 500. 90* firing order, that thing was gnarly. Even Mick didn't want to keep it, Mick went back to semi-screamer 180* (cylinders 1,3 fire together, then 2,4) but Tady preferred the demon bike.
nicky has always seems to shine on a bike that doesn't handle like a refined GP bike. no doubt learned from speedway bikes and the fat/sloppy superbikes he used to ride.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 PM
jimmy crack corn

I think that is why so many people think nicky would do good on a Ducati.

David
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 PM
PCP

They should just give him his dirt bike.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:01 AM
No Crying Allowed

Well it looks like he is still loving the new bike.... FP2 is ahead of Vale....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:04 AM
7c Forever

yea I hope it works for him, I wish Honda would take the Ducati approach for Nick and just hand him a motor with as much power as humanly possible and let him deal with it.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:43 PM

In a way I hope that he clicks with the Honda... but on the other hand I want to see him fail and leave for another team already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode