Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
7c Forever

Proposition: the modern Grand Slam

was thinking tonight that we don't have the cross-class competition that there used to be, that a Grand Slam was all about. SOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo I'm thinking we should start an unofficial award for a "Modern Grand Slam."

So I'm thinking that you'd have to bag a blue ribbon GP win, I'm not picky on the circuit, a WSBK win, again, not picky, Imola would sure be good tho. And for the GP I guess Assen would be "the one" if we wanted to be that picky.

Also, there's gotta be a Suzuka 8 hour win in there, 'cause... common it's the 8 hour. And if you've got a Suzuka you've gotta have a Daytona 200.

I'm considering IOM, but I think it'd be pretty much impossible at that point. with only 4 wins necessary and 2 of 'em are 1 offs that don't require a special thing I think that'd be doable.

I can't think of anyone off the top of the head that's done all of that. Scott Russel being closest I think. having the WSBK, the 200, the Suzuka and only a podium on a 500, and at the wrong track.

whatcha think, modern roadracing grand slam, go or no?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 AM

It's always been my dream in my lifetime that someone be able to achieve that or at least attempt to do it. For me, whoever can do something like that is a motorcycling god. Sadly, I think it's not going to happen. I keep dreaming though. Sometimes in my dream, I'm the one doing that. I'll keep on dreaming.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
7c Forever

give her a whirl, you'll never do it if you don't try.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
whatcha think, modern roadracing grand slam, go or no?
Great idea Jr, but I've got to go with 'No'.
The inclusion of Daytona and I.o.M would make it a definite 'No' but if you took 'em out that would be doable ... of course that kinda defeats the purpose though doesn't it?

If Edwards ever gets around to standing in the top of the box in GP he'd be close to it. He's got WSBK and Suzuka (3 times!!) not sure if he's got a Daytona win.
Pretty sure he has no pro race win there but maybe amateur?

Just can't see anyone nowadays being able to compete at all those different circuits / racing series and bagging wins to boot.

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
7c Forever

ya that's the point tho, I'd love to see guys do some more cross discipline racing, anything to encourage 'em to do it.

Colin has a second at Daytona I think, in '97 on the YZF, I remember that bitchen quickchange set-up they had, quick deploying hydraulic lift so they could change rubber faster than the SSSA duke's. Good race that one, Scotty Russel won iirc. (big shock I know.)

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 PM

Pretty cool... but the Daytona 200 is no more... its been ruined. Hopefully it will return to its old glory some day.

Suzuka 8hrs, WSBK win, GP Win would be cool for me. With maybe their home SBK title included in the mix... for example... Russell (AMA Champ, WSBK Wins, Suzuka Win, and GP Podium???)

Did Russell podium on the RVG? I don't think he did, a best 5th is what I think he got?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I dont inhale

i still dream of an iroc type motorcycle race or series, but no way it would happen

put the top couple guys from each series on the same exact bikes and send them out for a 3 race series,

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
7c Forever

Russel did podium on the RGV, I've got a pick somewhere of him and Doohan standing next to each other on the box.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 12:26 AM

Really!? Wow that is cool... I kinda wish he had gotten a better ride back then.
What a waste that turned out to be, pissing off Rob Muzzy for nothing...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
7c Forever

pissed off doesn't even begin to cover what Rob Muzzy was, LOL.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Oh I know... from what I understand, Rob's contract for the Kawi Superbike team had a clause that Russell was to be with the team... once Russell broke that, Muzzy lost that contract...

IIRC, SOUP did an interview where Muzzy clearly dispelled rumors of them joining efforts again with a simple word... impossible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode