Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

GP tire myths dispelled????

You guys be the judge... or rather let's see how far does being a fan causes tunnel vision

SOUP just posted an interview with Stoner here.

In it Casey was asked about rumors that he didn't have a good relationship with his Honda team in 06.

His answer was a bit of shock to me, because I have heard in the past that Michelin played favorites with some teams & riders, but I never gave it too much thought because it was just stuff you read in forums from possible angry fans...

Well Casey confirms that at least in his past experience that it is true.

Makes you wonder if perhaps the new tire rules were put in place to hinder that behavior. And if so, boy did it work cause Michelin has had quite the uphill battle since implemented... and you have to give Casey the benefit of the doubt, because he has definitely crashed alot less since the change in Rubber.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
Well Casey confirms that at least in his past experience that it is true.

Makes you wonder if perhaps the new tire rules were put in place to hinder that behavior. And if so, boy did it work cause Michelin has had quite the uphill battle since implemented... and you have to give Casey the benefit of the doubt, because he has definitely crashed alot less since the change in Rubber.
definitely possible. I mean I'm fairly limited in my black helo michelin theories, but WSBK definitely they played favourites in the Edwards/Bayliss era, I mean Toejams first title, it was down to him and Laconi, on first string rubber, both of them being told that the loser was off the team and off the good rubber if they lost.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM

err... isn't it a common knowledge that satellite teams never get the best tires?

So I guess he must had bad relationship with Dunlop in 250 too?

And after Barros' interview from last year, we all know that Ducati plays favorite with their riders too.

So I'm giving Melandri the benefit of the doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 PM

Tire company favoritism is and has been a reality in European car and bike racing for a long time. Those one of special compound and constructions always go to the favorite, who in turn gets to lead R&D, further skewing things to his advantage.

I like the spec tire rule WSBK has in place. You get to see what the rider is really made of...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Tire company favoritism is and has been a reality in European car and bike racing for a long time. Those one of special compound and constructions always go to the favorite, who in turn gets to lead R&D, further skewing things to his advantage.

I like the spec tire rule WSBK has in place. You get to see what the rider is really made of...
Nothing special to Europe as it has been and is a part of AMA as we speak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
No Crying Allowed

I vote for a spec tire rule as well....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
And after Barros' interview from last year, we all know that Ducati plays favorite with their riders too.

Was Casey the number one rider last year at Ducati? I would have thought Loris would have been?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
Well then... I'd like to know why you think the Factory Ducati team has not played Fav with Marco then...

After all, the way I've heard it is that Ducati\Ferreri would like nothing more than to have an all Italian (Driver\vehicle\Team) as world champs...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
...I would have thought Loris would have been?
Apparently not, especially when Casey started winning. This is nothing uncommon in top level racing, the team will always sway to the person that wins the most. It's cruel, but that's how it is in that level.

Quote:
Well then... I'd like to know why you think the Factory Ducati team has not played Fav with Marco then...

After all, the way I've heard it is that Ducati\Ferreri would like nothing more than to have an all Italian (Driver\vehicle\Team) as world champs...
Ferrari yes, but apparently not Ducati. If they were, they wouldn't have booted Capirex. I believe they like Spanish(Sete) and Aussie(Bayliss & Stoner) riders more.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 PM
7c Forever

uhhh they didn't ever like Bayliss in MotoGP.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

IDK... I really think Marco just doesn't like spaghetti.

That whole Capirex ordeal I never understood... But maybe he wanted to go in a diff dev direction... who knows! He did like the 900's and looked really good in 06 before he got injured.

So Ducati is into Arroz con Habichuelas y Kangaroo stew??? The Aussies will have to forgive my lack of knowledge in Aussie cuisine... help out a bloke and I'll edit the kangaroo stew bad joke
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Pirelli did at least one year some special tires for the no1 Ducati team. So much for spec tires..

In GP they develop tires for the riders. A new rider that do hes first year in MotoGP dont get as much help of doing special tires i guess. So Stoner could get "better" tires ( tires made for him directly) from the second year maybe.

When we did run Supersport 2005 with support from Dunlop in a national championship we could choose of 108 different "compounds". And if no one did suit they could do special made tire in minimum 5 examples. We ask of that as the Kawasaki and Dunlop was a bad combination that year. But we did get the same front tires as one of the Hayden did ask Dunlop to do as he also did have the same idea of the problem as we did. That tire did work on a Kawasaki. But no one else then the one with direct support from Dunlop and in a possition to win a championship did get that kind of front tires. In Europe, USA or where ever..

Last edited by Axxexs; 08-01-2008 at 05:33 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 03:12 PM

it just rubs me the wrong way when people say we, while obviously refering to themselves.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
Quote:
IDK... I really think Marco just doesn't like spaghetti.

That whole Capirex ordeal I never understood... But maybe he wanted to go in a diff dev direction... who knows! He did like the 900's and looked really good in 06 before he got injured.

So Ducati is into Arroz con Habichuelas y Kangaroo stew??? The Aussies will have to forgive my lack of knowledge in Aussie cuisine... help out a bloke and I'll edit the kangaroo stew bad joke
australia has no cuisine, we've stolen it all from everywhere else

damper may be the only genuine australian cuisine i can think of... though i could be underestimating... Cuisine of Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Phat View Post
australia has no cuisine, we've stolen it all from everywhere else

damper may be the only genuine australian cuisine i can think of... though i could be underestimating... Cuisine of Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bloody hell LP, don't forget BBQ Goanna

Oh gawd, I haven't had a Chiko Roll in years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiko_Roll

last years Chiko Roll girl

And this years, without the Phallic Chiko Roll

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode