Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Arrow MotoGP ŧ 2008 BRNO GP THREAD!! *SPOILERS*

The vacation is over, racing is back!

MotoGP ŧ Brno - Free practice times (1).

Friday, 15th August 2008

Full free practice times (1) from the Czech Republic Grand Prix at Brno, round twelve of the 2008 MotoGP World Championship.

Repsol Honda's Nicky Hayden is absent from the event after injuring his right heel on a Supermoto bike at the X Games on August 1.

Honda Gresini's Shinya Nakano is riding a 2008 factory spec (valve-spring) RC212V for the first time this weekend, a bike which will form the basis of Honda's 2009 satellite machine.

The Brno circuit has been resurfaced for this year's event - Bridgestone riders dominate first practice with title rivals Rossi and Stoner over a second clear of third placed Nakano...

1. Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha Team (B) 1min 57.782 secs
2. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 57.911 secs
3. Shinya Nakano JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 1min 59.021 secs
4. Alex de Angelis RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 1min 59.134 secs
5. John Hopkins USA Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 59.220 secs
6. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 59.400 secs
7. Toni Elias SPA Alice Team (B) 1min 59.756 secs
8. Loris Capirossi ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 59.770 secs
9. Colin Edwards USA Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 1min 59.965 secs
10. Marco Melandri ITA Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 2min 0.082 secs
11. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Alice Team (B) 2min 0.083 secs
12. Andrea Dovizioso ITA JiR Team Scot MotoGP (M) 2min 0.429 secs
13. Jorge Lorenzo SPA Fiat Yamaha Team (M) 2min 0.447 secs
14. Randy de Puniet FRA LCR Honda MotoGP (M) 2min 0.496 secs
15. James Toseland GBR Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 2min 1.074 secs
16. Anthony West AUS Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 2min 1.128 secs
17. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team (M) 2min 1.231 secs

2007 Czech Republic GP - 19/08/2007:
Pole position: Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro (B) 1min 56.884secs
Fastest lap: Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro (B) 1min 58.301secs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 AM
250 cc pilota.

Once again Rossi and Stoner seem to be in a league of their own. Nice to see Nakano doing well and soon second practise is on its way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gustav O; 08-15-2008 at 05:44 AM.
post #3 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

good post- thanks guys
I have been eyeball deep in work lately and haven't been following anything race related
for all I know Mick Doohan could be leading the GP standings right now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
...Nice to see Nakano doing well and soon second practise is on its way.
Yeah definitely, he finally has a chance to prove himself on a proper machine, so I hope he won't disappoint me. Although his teammate on last year's bike is close to his tail though, so maybe it's too early to tell at this moment.

post #5 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:03 AM
250 cc pilota.

FP2.
1. Stoner 1.57.231
2. Rossi 1.57.410
3. Capirossi 1.58.000
4. Nakano 1.58.228
5. De Angelis 1.58.264
6. Vermeulen 1.58.462
7. Edwards 1.58.672
8. Hopkins 1.58.830
9. Elias 1.58.881
10. Guintoli 1.58.923
11. Lorenzo 1.58.977
12. Dovizioso 1.59.094
13. Toseland 1.59.328
14. De Puniet 1.59.405
15. Melandri 1.59.943
16. Pedrosa 2.00.540
17. West 2.00.621

post #6 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Stoner cools Rossi row.

Casey Stoner tones down criticism of Valentino Rossi's Laguna Seca riding.

Having had four weeks to digest his Laguna Seca defeat, Casey Stoner has conceded that criticism of Valentino Rossi's racing tactics immediately after their epic US GP battle may have been an over reaction.

Stoner had won the three races prior to Laguna Seca, where he comfortably led every track session leading up to the race - when Rossi launched a thrilling all-out attack to smother the Australian's performance advantage.

In his desperation to prevent the Ducati Marlboro star escaping, Rossi produced some thrilling overtaking moves - some of which Stoner, whose victory challenge finally ended in a small fall, branded as "the most aggressive I've seen in a long time".

A visibly angry Stoner initially refused to shake Rossi's hand after the race and also stated that he had lost some respect for the seven time world champion. Rossi rejected any suggestion that his moves had been out-of-order, declaring 'this is racing'.

When asked on Thursday if his view of the race has since changed, Stoner, who will start this weekend's Czech Republic Grand Prix 25 points from Rossi, confessed that he may have overreacted - but pointed out that Rossi had previously criticised Toni Elias for very similar reasons.

"Like all riders we react in the way that we do sometimes," replied Stoner, who shook hands with Rossi in the Brno pre-event press conference. "I think Valentino [has made similar] comments from what Toni has done in the past. I think at the time maybe we overreacted."

Either way, MotoGP fans will doubtless be hoping that Rossi and Stoner can pick up where they left off during this weekend's Brno event - when Stoner, winner of last year's Czech Republic Grand Prix, will be aiming to go the full race distance.

"I am going to hopefully just be putting up more of a fight in the last few laps this time," added the #1. "It would be nice if I can put pressure on right up until the last lap."

"Valentino [said that] seven races [to the end of the season] is a long time, but for us it's a short time!" commented Casey, referring to the task he faces in hunting down the Fiat Yamaha rider. "We always need more races, but we can only do what we can do."

Stoner added that he doesn't expect to try anything radical during the post-race test session on Monday and Tuesday, and is happy with the package he already has. Rossi is expected to try revised electronics at Brno this weekend.

post #7 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:19 AM
250 cc pilota.

He canīt even stand for his actions the little bastard.

post #8 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Resident Redneck

^

I think you lost you mind

Looks like Stoner did put his mid on the task at hand, and hopefully won't let the Laguna experience hunt him.

post #9 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 AM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
^

I think you lost you mind

Looks like Stoner did put his mid on the task at hand, and hopefully won't let the Laguna experience hunt him.
Itīs good that he has calmed down and "apologized" but it would have been much more fun and interesting if he still would have been pissed off and moaned at the press conference. Donīt you think?

post #10 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Itīs good that he has calmed down and "apologized" but it would have been much more fun and interesting if he still would have been pissed off and moaned at the press conference. Donīt you think?
pull a Senna "I'm gonna have my teammate take Rossi out in the first corner."

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
I doubt he apologized he just took it as it was, hard racing. BTW, why would Stoner need to apologize?? cause he didn't shake Rossi's hand? (Stoner didn't want bits of Uccio on his hand )

I think it's better Stoner moved past the last race, now he can focus better.

Week minded Giberhoe fell for that Rossi spell, and look what happened to him

Last edited by Biga; 08-15-2008 at 07:46 AM.
post #12 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
pull a Senna "I'm gonna have my teammate take Rossi out in the first corner."
No that's not Senna, Senna is: "I'm gonna take you out in the first corner." And he did.

Quote:
Week minded Giberhoe fell for that Rossi spell, and look what happened to him
According to the FP results, his mind doesn't seem to be much stranger than Sete's...
post #13 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:52 AM
250 cc pilota.

He should apologize for being a whining git.

post #14 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
According to the FP results, his mind doesn't seem to be much stranger than Sete's...
Quote:
FP2.
1. Stoner 1.57.231
2. Rossi 1.57.410

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post

Ya if you are only looking at FP1

post #16 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Resident Redneck

'Weak' Stoner edges Rossi.

Casey Stoner fastest of all on day one of the Czech Republic Grand Prix despite energy-sapping illness.

Reigning MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner edged out title rival Valentino Rossi to set the fastest lap on the opening day of the Czech Republic Grand Prix, despite suffering the effects of an illness, which has left him weak and unable to ride at the maximum of his ability.

Nevertheless, the Australian still managed to overturn Rossi's first free practice advantage during the afternoon session, which he finished just 0.179secs in front of the Fiat Yamaha rider, despite running off track in the closing minutes.

"Unfortunately I've not been feeling well for a few days and I felt very weak today - I even felt sapped of energy just putting my gloves on," explained the Ducati Marlboro star, beaten by Rossi in a thrilling duel last time out at Laguna Seca. "I can deal with a bit of tiredness but this afternoon I could only ride a handful of laps before I started to feel cramps in my stomach.

"That doesn't help my crew because I've not been able to put many consecutive laps together and this morning wasn't too good for us, we struggled to find the right set-up for this new surface. To look at you'd think it would be smooth on the tyres but it's actually quite aggressive, particularly on the front.

"This afternoon we went with a harder compound front tyre - similar to what we used at Laguna and Sachsenring, which is about the hardest we've got - and we had to work on the geometry to get the most effective load on the front tyre.

"The guys improved the bike every time I came in so it was frustrating not to be able to put it all together with a long run. We still have a lot of work to do so hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and the weather holds out for us," added Stoner, referring to the heavy rain that fell shortly after the end of the second MotoGP free practice session.

Team-mate Marco Melandri scored a better than usual tenth in first practice, but dropped down the timesheets to 15th this afternoon. The Italian's target tomorrow is to improve his feeling with the bike, particularly with the rear end.

"We started out well this morning and did some decent lap times but in the afternoon we didn't manage to make progress with the set-up and as the other riders improved we lost more and more ground," confirmed Marco, who had been tipped to split from Ducati before this weekend's event. "The bike is moving around a lot, especially on the rear, so that's an area we have to work on tomorrow - weather permitting. The new surface has improved the track overall although there are still a few bumps here and there."

post #17 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Resident Redneck

^ Looking at this article Rossi lost his edge

post #18 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
I should apologize for being a whining git.
Fixed

post #19 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 AM
7c Forever

wtf, are they gonna shitcan Marco or what?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #20 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Quote:
Ya if you are only looking at FP1
No, I saw both FPs before I posted that comment. Stoner is probably shitty in his pants now cause normally he thinks he should be more than 1/2 sec ahead, but not anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode