Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation MotoGP » Five options to slow down MotoGP.

Five options to slow down MotoGP.

Monday, 18th August 2008

MotoGP riders suggest five ways to cut cornering speeds.

According to Spanish sports website as.com five suggestions were put forward by the MotoGP riders to help reduce cornering speeds, during their meeting with Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta and Riders' Safety Representative Franco Uncini on Saturday evening at Brno.

As predicted, the options include the introduction of a control tyre and new limitations on electronics - albeit in the form of a ban on 'fly by wire' technology, which has removed a direct mechanical link (cable) between the throttle and engine, rather than the use of a standard ECU.

The full list of ideas, which includes a return to 990cc racing, will be presented to the Grand Prix Commission. The five suggestions put forward by the riders are:

1. Introduce a single control tyre.
2. Increase control of the throttle by the rider (by removing fly by wire technology).
3. Use narrower tyre rims.
4. A possible return to 990cc engines, but with a limit on top speed.
5. Stay with 800cc, but increase motorcycle minimum weight.

AS reports that the Michelin riders, who have struggled badly at the last two rounds, were unanimously in favour of a control tyre rule, with 'a majority' of the Bridgestone riders in favour.

The switch from 990cc to 800cc was made for the 2007 season in order to reduce top speeds, but the more nimble 800cc prototypes are able to corner faster - forcing circuits to increase the amount of run-off available, something that cannot continue indefinitely.

Five options to slow down MotoGP. | MOTOGP News | Crash.Net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by as.com View Post
...AS reports that the Michelin riders, who have struggled badly at the last two rounds, were unanimously in favour of a control tyre rule, with 'a majority' of the Bridgestone riders in favour...
Funny how only Rossi gets the bash and called disloyal and crying when he was clearly not the only one pushing for the switch.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Pedrosa, Honda blast Michelin.

Monday, 18th August 2008

Dani Pedrosa furious with Michelin after suffering 'worst race of his career' at Brno on Sunday.

If Dani Pedrosa has any influence on the matter, and he undoubtedly does, then the Repsol Honda Team looks one step closer to a switch to Bridgestone tyres next season, after the world championship contender suffered 'a complete disaster' during the Czech Republic Grand Prix weekend.

Already battling pain from a healing hand injury, Pedrosa - like all the Michelin riders - suffered a miserable lack of grip throughout the Czech weekend, in both dry and wet conditions, at the resurfaced Brno circuit.

Only one Michelin rider was able to break into a Bridgestone dominated top ten throughout free practice and qualifying - and Bridgestone swept the top eight positions in the race, when Pedrosa slumped from a fast-starting sixth on lap one to 15th at the flag.

The Spaniard, third in the championship and a double 2008 race winner, finished ahead of only Randy de Puniet, who fell, and set just the 15th fastest lap time out of the 17 riders. Brno marked the second event in succession at which Michelin has failed to supply competitive tyres.

By contrast, the same specification factory Honda, in the hands of Gresini's Shinya Nakano for the first time this weekend, set the third fastest lap of the race - 2.2secs quicker than Pedrosa - and progressed from twelfth on lap one to fourth at the finish.

"This weekend has been a complete disaster," fumed Pedrosa, who had qualified twelfth. "Today's race was the probably worst of my career. In fact I couldn't even race today, all I could do was ride. I couldn't control the bike, I didn't feel safe. I was riding so slow, I felt impotent and ashamed. I considered stopping but I stayed out there to get some points.

"We really need a drastic improvement from the tyres. I had no grip at the front and no grip at the rear, from the first lap to the last," he continued. "It was therefore impossible for me to push any harder, even though I was going very slow, three or four seconds slower than the leader. I almost crashed twice, so I just tried to finish the race. I did my best in very difficult circumstances, at the end the tyre performance was even worse than it had been during the early laps.”

It is unusual for Honda management to heavily criticise any of its technical partners in public, but - worryingly for Michelin - Repsol Honda team manager Kazuhiko Yamano confirmed Pedrosa's verdict of a tyre-induced 'disaster'.

"It is very difficult for me to comment, other than to say that I am very disappointed with this weekend. It has been a disaster for us," he began. "We tried many different settings solutions to find better tyre performance but it was obvious from the first laps today that Dani was in a very difficult situation with poor grip. In fact I was worried that if he pushed harder he might crash. The team has done its best here but we have been restricted by tyre performance."

Although Michelin made a strong start to the 2008 season, of the twelve races held, Bridgestone riders have now won nine of them. Pedrosa remains third in the world championship, but is now 65 points behind Valentino Rossi.

Two days of testing will take place at Brno on Monday and Tuesday. The 2008 MotoGP series then continues at Misano in two weeks, when Pedrosa will be rejoined by team-mate Nicky Hayden who missed this race due to a foot injury sustained during a Supermoto event at the X Games on August 1.

Pedrosa, Honda blast Michelin. | MOTOGP News | Crash.Net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
Funny how only Rossi gets the bash and called disloyal and crying when he was clearly not the only one pushing for the switch.
6 of 1 or half a dozen of the other... its the same thing.

Rossi wasn't the only one last year either... he was just the only one to get his way.

It's not funny if you ask me... I was not in favor of it last year as JB, cause there was no guarantees... it was a risk Rossi was willing to take....

But only now do we know for certain its paying off... Michelin Riders were leading the Championship at the beginning of the season... the last 2 round have been a disaster and there is still a few races left for Michelin to turn their results around. However, bleak that may look at the moment.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
6 of 1 or half a dozen of the other... its the same thing.

Rossi wasn't the only one last year either... he was just the only one to get his way.

It's not funny if you ask me... I was not in favor of it last year as JB, cause there was no guarantees... it was a risk Rossi was willing to take....

But only now do we know for certain its paying off... Michelin Riders were leading the Championship at the beginning of the season... the last 2 round have been a disaster and there is still a few races left for Michelin to turn their results around. However, bleak that may look at the moment.
Yes it was definitely a risk, but not that big imo, like I said before, he had nothing to lose, it was a risk but also a pretty safe bet at the same time. If BS is having problems this year, then Stoner will have problems too, and Stoner is pretty much Rossi's only concern. And if Michelin upped their game, the worst is BS will probably be still on par to them. I just don't see a reason why he shouldn't take the risk, even without seeing this year's results.

Next year, if more riders request a switch to BS, I'm just worried that Michelin will leave the series. They have already threaten that last year when more riders wanted to leave.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:44 AM

If they leave so be it... they prob should indeed retreat from this battle & return to fight another day. Better that way than a spec tire rule that may not allow them back in the future.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 AM
7c Forever

ya they basicly have the option to leave now with the ability to return later, or to stick around and be thrown out.

At this point tho, I'm in favour of a spec tire. I think it'll bring a level playing field to the series and force the riders/teams to develope in the same direction, instead of trying to find a tire that'll make the other brands bike chatter. If it's a control tire that's under developement thru the year it won't stop developement, just unify it.

that skinnier tire idea was a good one too, I wonder who it was came up with that.

whoever said "go back to 990's" is as dreaming as much as I was to ask for 500's back. It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:17 AM

Increase motorcycle minimum weight have been used before. The result was that the bikes did go faster.

Before 1990 or '91 the 500's minimum weight was 115kg. After it was 130kg. The manufactorys could build better frames and put the weight on the bike where it was the best place to have it on and more. The reason for changing the weight at that time was maybe more of the cost of building that light bikes. But the bikes did go faster with 15kg more.

So I dont think that is a good solution. And I dont like how it have become that everyone want to change the rules every year in this MotoGP class. Its to much like F1 now. Soon they want to change the rules after every race.....

They did put smaller wheels on the F1 to get the cars slower by slower corner speed but the result was that the speed was up on the straits as the air resistance was down from the smaller tires and the time was also faster.

EZPELETA DIMISIÓN!

Last edited by Axxexs; 08-18-2008 at 09:02 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Why don't they just have control bikes??

50cc pocket bike racing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxexs View Post
Increase motorcycle minimum weight have been used before. The result was that the bikes did go faster.

Before 1990 or '91 the 500's minimum weight was 115kg. After it was 130kg. The manufactorys could build better frames and put the weight on the bike where it was the best place to have it on and more. The reason for changing the weight at that time was maybe more of the cost of building that light bikes. But the bikes did go faster with 15kg more.

So I dont think that is a good solution. And I dont like how it have become that everyone want to change the rules every year in this MotoGP class. Its to much like F1 now. Soon they want to change the rules after every race.....

They did put smaller wheels on the F1 to get the cars slower by slower corner speed but the result was that the speed was up on the straits as the air resistance was down from the smaller tires and the time was also faster.
solid points all around. I'll back up the weight increase being a bad idea, it's not gonna slow them down.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode